Woe Is I, Jr.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Word maven Patricia T. O’Conner tells us about her new book for kids: Woe Is I, Jr. And in honor of the upcoming Tony Awards, she explores the derivation of the word “Broadway.” Plus, she takes your calls at 212-433-9692.

Woe Is I, Jr. is available for purchase at amazon.com

Patricia T. O'Conner

John from North Bergen, NJ

Well

Patricia doesn't seem to know that well (adv) and well (adj) have different meanings.

well (adv) is the adverb that corresponds in meaning to the adjective "good"

well (adj) means healthy, in good health

How is it that her reply to the caller's question could be so off????

May. 23 2007 02:00 PM
George Showman from Red Hook, Brooklyn

Well vs. Good:

You mis-handled this completely! "Well" is the better answer by far.

"How are you?" implies "How are you DOING?". The natural answer is "I am doing well". To say "I am doing good" is clearly wrong. To say "I am good" is strange.

Please repair the damage! This is one of those classic moments where we have become too comfortable with words and are losing the ability to differentiate between truly separate conditions!

Or am I from outer space?

Thanks,

George

May. 23 2007 01:57 PM
Yotam from manhattan

Did Patricia just say that "I am good" is grammatically correct? Why does it make me wince?

May. 23 2007 01:57 PM
Thadeus Gray from Joisey

What do you think of the new morning announcer that pronounces WNYC as WNY-say?

May. 23 2007 01:43 PM
Irene Smookler from Riverdale_The Bronx

Leonard just used the words "the both of you."

Shouldn't he have said "both of you?"

May. 23 2007 01:43 PM
Halley from Boston, MA

Why is 'wicked' a Bostonian/New England adage? Where did it originally come from? I assume it might have something to do with the historic witch trials.

May. 23 2007 01:32 PM
Ken Gibbons from Shrewsbury, NJ

In commercials for services such as cellphones, they often use the phrase: "service not available in all areas."

This sounds to me as if their service is not available anywhere. Is there a better way to briefly state that their service is available in some places, but not everywhere?

May. 23 2007 01:05 PM
Mike Richards from Brooklyn

How did the word "fun" morph into new usaages ie:

Funnest
so fun

I always thought one used the word fun such as;
"Wow this is so much fun." Not "Wow this is so fun" or "That was the funnest"

I have this argument with my children all the time, please explain.

Thanks and I love when Ms. O'Conner is on the program.

May. 23 2007 12:10 PM