Chamber Music As Therapy

« previous episode | next episode »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New York composer and new music champion Judd Greenstein associates chamber music with issues related to life and death. When a friend commissioned him to write a piece for his recently deceased grandmother, Greenstein saw a unique opportunity. Instead of simply writing for himself, he could use his talents to help preserve the memory of another. Tonight we hear Greenstein’s piece, the moving “Night Gatherers,” which features violist and WNYC host Nadia Sirota. Also, music from David Rakowski and Henryk Wieniawski.

Also Featured Tonight:

Terry Riley / Ascending Whale Dreams
William Bolcom / Nine New Bagatelles
Gabriel Faure / Le Jardin clos, Op.106 (The Closed Garden)
William Schuman / "Prayer in the Time of War"
Alessandro Scarlatti / Poi che riseppe Orfeo

Music Playlists

View WNYC's music playlists dating back to 2001 (full playlists are generally posted the day after broadcast). For playlist inquiries, please contact Listener Services via email or at 646-829-4000.

The first hour of Evening Music will be available for streaming soon after 8pm.

brett from CT

found it. it was philip glass, the song dance II (2), from album Glassworks. Thanks.

May. 15 2009 12:24 PM
brett from CT

hello. it was roughly 7:10 pm this evening. you were playing a piece of music that had a really neat ebb and flow to it (made me think of the ocean coming and receding on shore), and then it transitioned to chamber music. then you came on the air and began to talk while the original music played again in the background while you spoke. you mentioned philip glass, but i'm not sure if he was the composer of what we were listening to, or if you just happened to mention him. any idea what piece of music i'm referring to?

May. 14 2009 06:23 PM
tMcKnight from new york

Thanks for writing to the show:

1. Sean, i'm looking forward to hearing your music and hope to meet you soon, perhaps later this month.

2. Amanda Nicol - here's what you heard:

"Tenebrae": in III, Nocturno (excerpt)
Carlo Gesualdo
Taverner Choir
Andrew Parrott, conductor
CBS/Sony 62977

3. Don - thank you!

May. 13 2009 10:37 AM
Don Hagar from Brooklyn

Hi Terence,

Thank you for playing your selections for us. The first track you played tonight was David Rakowski's "E-machines," which was the first piece I ever heard of his, played live by, I believe, Kathleen Supove, around 1990 in Boston. I thought it was (and still do) a terrific piece, and it inspired me to ask him to take a look at my music. He was always very generous in taking the time to look over my pieces and discuss with me what he was working on..and, of course, he was always a lot of fun to hang out with! I've always been grateful for his help and constructive criticisms. I hope this reminiscence will give you a slightly larger impression of one of our best living composers.

May. 12 2009 11:38 PM
amanda nicol from nyc

i was listening this evening and had to stop my car and sit quietly waiting for Terrence to announce the music that had played...and I missed it :( all i got was andrew parrot, tabernacle choir. it was played at around 10:15 pm may 12. how do i find out what it was? thank you amanda

amanda nicol
amanda@amandanicol.com
347 834 4668 m
www.amandanicol.com

May. 12 2009 10:31 PM
Sean Hickey from Brooklyn

Dear Terrence:

A note to say thank you, thank you, thank you for your show. It is a family ritual for us each and every night. I would be honored if you played a track from my Naxos disc, Left at the Fork in the Road, especially since I have three premieres this weekend, including a major premiere at Alice Tully Hall with pianist Xiayin Wang on May 18th. Should you like to come, I'll have a ticket in your name.

I'm meeting with Limor the day after. Should you be around, I would love the opportunity to meet the man I've listened to most weeknights for the past year. Do keep up the great work.

Best,