Zoe Caldwell has always gone wherever the acting jobs took her; from her native Australia to Stratford-upon-Avon in Britain, then on to Canada, and eventually New York. She's won four Tony Awards, has played opposite such legends as Laurence Olivier, Dame Edith Evans and Paul Robeson, and her portrayals of Cleopatra and Maria Callas (among others) have been declared the definitive ones. She's always preferred to perform before a live audience, and although we can only promise her an audience of moose and wolves on her retreat, she has graciously agreed to give us her survival kit list for a journey to the wilds.
Zoe Caldwell's Survival Kit:
1. 1 case of good red wine
2. 1 large bottle of Arpege perfume
3. Proust's Remembrance of Things Past
4. The Complete Humor, Sketches and Tales of Mark Twain
5. Aaron Copeland conducting Appalachian Spring
6. Primer on Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism (Zoe has already read the one on Islam)
7. Pencils, a sharpener, paper and her glasses
8. One of her sons (Sam and Charlie) -- either will do
WNYC 93.9 FM and AM 820 are New York's flagship public radio
stations, broadcasting the finest programs from NPR, PRI and American Public Media, as well as a wide range of award-winning local
programming. WNYC is a division of
New York Public Radio.