Airport Delay Personality Types

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In light of the throngs of people stuck in limbo in airports and train stations because of ash-related flight delays, John Dickerson of Slate.com is collecting submissions of airport delay personality types. He asserts there are at least 6 distinct personality types that emerge in annoying situations - the sardonic joker, the exasperated mother, the combative lawyer, etc.

Have you noticed a common type that emerges during annoying plane, train, or bus delays? Give us your best description of a personality type revealed in annoying situations. Write or call in with your personality type!

John Dickerson

Doogle23 from New York

Just listened on podcast....you forgot the nervous conspiracy theorist!! The person who suddenly is sure the delay is caused by a coup...a terrorist plot..an unfixable fault of engineering...or just the simple big government..big corporate...whatever conspiracy, and talks loudly to no one in particular about all aspects of safety and possible further calamities that may be about to happen while generally raising the tension and fear levels around them as you see people begin to stiffen and panic sets in

Apr. 21 2010 04:53 PM
ken from NYC

How about some of the Typical Corporate Airline Types? Why beat up on the passengers?

1) Lying Public Relations Hack?
2) The charge-extra-for-bags Airline Company?
3) The overpaid Airline CEO?
4) The $200-change-penalty-charging Airline CFO?

Why blame only the victims?

Apr. 20 2010 12:00 PM
The Truth from Becky

HJS....that first comment, hilarious! Talk about the arrogant American! LOL

Apr. 20 2010 12:00 PM
Liz from Glen Cove

I'm claustrophobic, but I've never freaked out. When I'm stuck on a plane or in the subway, I very calmly speak to someone near me. Tell them in an ultra-reasonable voice that I'm a claustrophobe and am near panic. That poor person!

Apr. 20 2010 11:59 AM
The Truth from Becky

How about the guy/girl that keeps approaching the desk every half hour....LOL

Apr. 20 2010 11:58 AM
paperfolder

The improviser-

I've been stranded in airports all over the world. I can't tell you how many times I've used the opportunity to teach restless kids how to make simple origami models or invent new ones for myself. No piece of paper is safe! (Need suggestions--go to origamiusa.org

Apr. 20 2010 11:58 AM
LM

The "I've been everywhere..listen what happened to me when I was traveling to X" type

Apr. 20 2010 11:58 AM
Tim from Tappan, NY

What about me... The put on the iPod and read a book guy. 'Cause he knows that if they could move you to your destination - they would.

Apr. 20 2010 11:58 AM
pg-btn

The Conspiracy Theorist

Apr. 20 2010 11:57 AM
Ed Heins

The sleeper, the person who ignores what is going on and pretends it is not happening.

Apr. 20 2010 11:57 AM
Peter from nyc

How about the guy who's had "MUCH WORSE" experiences and will tell you about each and every one.

"When I was travelling to Thailand back in '02..."

Apr. 20 2010 11:57 AM
ken from NYC

1) Lying Public Relations Hack?
2) The charge-extra-for-bags Airline Company?
3) The overpaid Airline CEO?
4) The $200-change-penalty-charging Airline CFO?

Why blame only the victims?

Apr. 20 2010 11:56 AM
Stephanie

The American Express card guy aka the boob who gets your seat because their work place has over-paid for his/her ticket when the plane is too full or relaid, etc

The "do you know who I am, I can get you fired" person.

Finally, the best person, the slacker, college student who doesn't need to get home and could care less about anywhere, just as long as there is free wifi.

Apr. 20 2010 11:54 AM
The Truth from Becky

"I'm a celebrity, get me outta here!" That would be me.

Apr. 20 2010 11:54 AM
steve from manhattan

what about the 'i think i'm smarter than everyone else' guy who labels others' personalities?

Apr. 20 2010 11:54 AM
helena from tenafly nj

the "sudden expert on everything volcano and airplanes"

Apr. 20 2010 11:52 AM
re-tarded at JFK from JFK

friendly gregarious southerners who don't travel often.

the serene jackass who missed his flight & has learned to accept it (me)

Apr. 20 2010 11:51 AM
Daniel

The jungle-gym kid: this category knows no age limit. I've seen grown ups tossing balls around, restlessly moving back and forth between cramped aisles full of baggage, calling out to their companions at outdoor-volume levels, jangling their keys and change in their pockets, rocking whole banks of chairs back and forth, etc... all to the annoyance of everyone around them. When kids do it, you can at least blame it on their age and be annoyed at their parents for not pointing out to them how they are annoying the already exasperated people around them. When adults do it, there's really no excuse and no one else to blame.

Apr. 20 2010 11:44 AM

out of the country, I've only come across the ugly american in airports.
when in costa rica, recently, I heard a woman say "well they need to get someone here who speaks english to tell us what's going on" I just looked at my friend and laughed.

Apr. 20 2010 10:13 AM