Gun Rights on the March

Monday, April 19, 2010

Gun rights advocates march in Washington today. Art Rosbury-Yoder, executive director of New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense, comments on the state of gun rights both locally and around the country.

Esther L. from Washington Heights, NYC

He was advocating for the supporters of his cause to elect officials that support their beliefs. he appears, therefore, to believe in the democratic system. in that case, he should understand and respect that the majority of the voters elected obama based on his platform - which included universal health care.
progressives tolerated many years of conservative governments chipping away at programs we support, trampling on our values and squandering our tax dollars. we didn't take up arms against the government for this.
i think it's "funny" that he was so appauled at your question about the black panthers. i feel that they had a stronger case for self-defense than he does (hmmm.... assault on black communities vs. "forcing" people to (maybe) have to pay some extra money for health care... which one sounds like more of a threat?)

Apr. 20 2010 12:01 AM
gaetano catelli from Greenpernt, Crooklyn

wait, i'm confused ... if what's happening now is parallel to what was happening under Clinton, how is what is happening now solely the result of "racist" and "sexist" opposition to a biracial president and a female speaker of the house?

on the merits, the guest is completely correct: without the 2nd Amendment, the rest of the Constitution is just so many promises from politicians.

all organizations -- religions, corporations, unions, academics, the media, etc -- will expand their power until checked by a countervailing force.

in the case of the foregoing groups, government is the ultimate check on their expansion. but, what is the ultimate check on government power -- which, as the guest pointed out, has been continuously expanding for generations -- if not well-armed militias?

btw, Brian, i have always admired your willingness, virtually unequaled among talk show hosts, to allow guests you disagree with to make their case without your trying to spin what they are saying into something they aren't saying. but, in this segment, i've never heard you try so hard to induce a "gotcha" moment.

kudos, though, for conceding near the end of the interview that you don't support the way the government handled Waco.

Apr. 19 2010 11:14 PM
salvatore principato from manhattan

FYI Brian
the Black Panther Party's full name is:
Black Panther Party for Self-Defense

i wish you would have challenged your guest on that point
and follow that thread

these people aren't anti-government
but anti the government being a positive force in the individual's lives

Apr. 19 2010 03:22 PM
Estelle from Austin

So, in a nutshell:
We have to have guns to arm ourselves against a government that might come take our guns away.
It's completely circular logic!

Apr. 19 2010 01:14 PM
Joe E. from Brooklyn

To the caller who says his rights are being "eroded" by the government because of gun safety laws. This is not due to government regulation, but to the violent acts of the few bad apples who do not, unlike you, responsibly use guns.

Just as we are accepting of removing our shoes and throwing away our water bottles at airport security, so should this caller be when he has to obey gun control. The world is an increasingly violent and complex place, and we all have to make sacrifices to deal with the safety of the people. Not just gun owners.

These law are in place to protect the greater population, not take away rights of the few.

Apr. 19 2010 11:04 AM
Joey Collins from Metuchen, NJ

I live in NJ. I don't know anyone like this guy on the radio. He seems very paranoid.
We grew up learning how to shoot guns, clean them, etc and gun safety. My mother, a city girl from Rhode Island, is the "marksman" in our family by the way.
I have never felt the paranoia or used the rhetoric this man is expressing. I do not fear the government taking my guns. I have heard this argument my whole life. I do not fear my government. I do fear the poorly parented kid who has access to an arsenal--or has created his own arsenal. When I was a kid (I'm 41 now) children and teenagers were not collecting guns and then massacring fellow students. There is reason for regulation. I do believe in reason. I don't believe in getting rid of guns or the 2nd amendment.
But there will also be anti-government sentiment from the left and the right. Always. Currently the anti-government paranoid citizens have a voice, they have guns, and their rhetoric is escalating. Their apocalyptic hyperbole is rooted in many things: violence, paranoia, taxes, racism (most people won't say this word because it is so hard to prove--but I will. It is there). They hyperbole is also rooted in poverty, fear of poverty, fear of loss of control, fear of many things, and Loss of Identity (which may be the diplomatic way of saying "racism"). Xenophobia comes to mind.
Many of these values these people hold are real. Empower them with words and guns, let them demonize without consequence and they will continue to gain voice in the media.
The "lefties" were not taking up arms and fear mongering and using hate language and apocalyptic hyperbole against President Bush. September 11th happened on his watch and yet the city that it happened to is still filled with these lefties that EXPERIENCED apocalyptic actions yet New York is still considerably left. Ironic.
The "righties" are taking up arms and fear mongering and using hate language and apocalyptic hyperbole against the current president. And they are indirectly encouraging "arms". They continue to compare the 80's and the cold war to now. THAT to me is a stretch but if you say it enough people will start to make the connection. Remember "Iraq - 9/11" framed rhetoric? Keep your ears peeled.
I am a guy who lives in the center, thinks in the center and believes in checks and balances. The right is not checking or balancing with the current democratic party. They are, if you will, trying to mow them down, shoot them in the ______, blow their heads off, castrate them, decapitate them.
It is Rambo all over again.

Apr. 19 2010 11:01 AM
kbinps from park slope

The caller Al from Long Island charges that you have gone easy on left wing extremists. That argument is incredibly strained. No one I know on the left ever approved of the actions of the weather underground or eco terrorists or WTO protesters. They are looked at as lunatics. I was there for the 60s. Everyone I knew subscribed to The Beatles take on it- "when you talk about destruction, don't you kow that you can count me out".

Apr. 19 2010 10:59 AM

<<We've removed a few comments that violated our comment guidelines. This is just a reminder to please keep the discussion on topic, civil, and brief. Thanks for posting>>

Apr. 19 2010 10:52 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Mr. Rosbury-Yoder seems to be forgetting, or at least ignoring, the rest of the Bill of Rights in his comparison of colonization by King George to what's going on now. Does he really think requiring people to buy health insurance is comparable to quartering of soldiers in people's homes, warrantless searches & seizures, cruel & unusual punishments imposed without jury trials, & the other abuses outlawed by amendments other than the 2nd?

Apr. 19 2010 10:51 AM
Steven Paul Mark from United States

If we emphasized history in school curriculum as much as science and math, we'd know or at least have intelligently debated the 2nd Amendment. It was passed while the soldiers of the Revolution were still dying and the so-called state miitias had been instrumental in the conflict. It was passed (as were all the amendments)( to confront the Alexander Hamilton bloc that sought a strong, central government. Left--wiing and right-wing nuts should spend more time reading

Apr. 19 2010 10:47 AM
Ed from Brooklyn

Thank you for putting me on!

Apr. 19 2010 10:47 AM
Nancy Breslow from Nancy from Manhattan

Let's not forget the active right-wing terrorists in this country who keep murdering those who provide completely lawful abortions.

Apr. 19 2010 10:46 AM
MindyP51 from New Jerey

Give me a break!

Listening right now, the guy from New Jersey (my state!) ....you can't nail these people down, no matter what you say, they'll dance around it or turn it around or just go off on another riff without answering your point.

But it's all b.s.--

I keep saying it and saying it and saying it, over and over and over....

It's all about "Our president is B-L-A-C-K!"

Duh!

Apr. 19 2010 10:45 AM

Eco-'terrorists' have burned houses (unsold and unoccupied), have sugared gas tanks and spiked trees. I'm not aware of one instance of eco-terrorists blowing anything up.

Apr. 19 2010 10:45 AM
S Block

Brian,

Here's an idea for a show: bring all the left wing cranks on, the ones who said they'd move to Canada if Bush got re-elected. Then you harangue them for a half hour saying "WHEN ARE YOU MOVING!" But for real, I mean, you gotta harangue, not the usual French kissing session.

it would be just as good as this show.

Apr. 19 2010 10:44 AM

Caller Al:

The protesters in Seatlle didn't bring guns to their rallys, unlike the Tea Baggers who brought their guns to Town Hall meetings, you clown.

Apr. 19 2010 10:43 AM
Max from Northern NJ

RLewis from Bowery asks:

"Isn't the whole reason why this date became important in the first place is because it's Hitler's birthday???"

RLewis, your comment betrays your ignorance of American History. Surely you have heard Longfellow's poem highlighting a key event in American Revolutionary History:

"Listen my children and you shall hear,
of the midnight ride of Paul Revere.
'Twas the eighteenth of April in Seventy-Five,"

The "shot heard round the world" and the Battle of Lexington and Concord began on April 19, 1775.

Apr. 19 2010 10:39 AM
Barbara Broadhurst from Westchester

You must be joking. Anyone remember how Bush was talked about? Also, pretty lame interview given the way you tried to put words in his mouth and how now you're going to turn it into a racial issue. Anything to avoid the real debate, eh?

Apr. 19 2010 10:39 AM

we are heading to civil war

Apr. 19 2010 10:38 AM
Selina from Upper West Side

Why are Americans allowed to set up extra-governmental militias to protect themselves from a government that is NOT currently impeding ANY of their rights? This is a frightening situation, people should not be actively urged to arm themselves with anything but a intricate and thorough understanding of current events and the peaceful manners by which their disagreements with the law can be resolved (i.e. litigation: if its good enough for opposition on the left it should also suffice for opposition on the right).

Apr. 19 2010 10:38 AM

Loretta:

Quick answer: no. We vote for the govt officials that will pass the laws we want and vote out the ones that don't. We don't, uh, shoot them.

Apr. 19 2010 10:38 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

If Bill CLinton were so worried about anti-government action, then why did he pardon those FALN terrorists? While we're at it, what the SPLC's take on fmr Pres Clinton's pardon of convicted terrorists, terrorists who killed civilians and maimed police officers right here in New York? Mmmm. Do I hear a defeaning silence?

Apr. 19 2010 10:37 AM

I wish I had protected myself from the intolerable government from 2000-2006, instead i just voted for change

Apr. 19 2010 10:34 AM
Anna Rich from Elmont, New York

Oh man,
Why does anyone feel their rights are threatened because they can't walk down the street with a loaded firearm? Why does anyone need to do that? Why shouldn't the rest of us feel our rights to pursue life threatened by that?
This is coded, dangerous talk.

Apr. 19 2010 10:34 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Why doesn’t someone explain the 2nd Amendment to this guy and all gun nuts… The sole purpose of the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution was for the protection of the GOVERNMENT.
“A well regulated Militia being NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”

Apr. 19 2010 10:34 AM
Lucy Taylor from Manhattan

I come from Australia, we have one of the lowest incidence of gun violence in the world. Our gun laws were tightened in 1996 when we suffered our first mass killing. The laws were immediately changed within the week of the massacre and they were instituted by a conservative Prime Minister. There was little to no resistance to the change. I feel nothing but sorrow for the USA; and for the hundreds of families affected by gun violence every day.

Apr. 19 2010 10:33 AM
superf88

You know what? I kinda miss kooky old guys named Art. I just may send his coalition a complimentary packet of Pall Malls.

Apr. 19 2010 10:33 AM
Loretta Moscatt from Pearl River, NY

Maybe you and your callers would understand your guest better if you imagined a government that outlawed abortion, instituted jail sentences for anyone having one or performing one, mandated prayer in public schools, etc. Does his central point about gun ownership insuring freedom from an oppressive government make sense then?

Apr. 19 2010 10:33 AM
Trish

This person's paranoia is remarkable. If his call was meant to inspire support for his movement it has simply inspired outrage and for me some fear of people like him. To think he would actually believe that he is pioneering or defending rights by turning against the government is foolhardy and not representative of me or anyone I know. I appreciate Brian giving him time to air his opinion as it is important to recognize that people like him are actively promoting his agenda.

Apr. 19 2010 10:32 AM
jeff from Manhattan

I can't believe the government wants to control who and where can drive - can you believe they want me to have a *license*? They say I can't drive my *own* car without one. Not only that - it has to have my picture and address on it! How long can it be till they come for our cars??

Apr. 19 2010 10:32 AM
dsimon

The guest isn't coherent. He says armed insurrection isn't called for when we can vote elected representatives into office to change the laws that he would call "oppressive." But we can always vote those people into office. So why the need to resort to armed insurrection, unless he's imagining some scenario where the executive branch dissolves Congress (which he's never brought up as a possibility)?

As Jon Stewart once said, I think these guys are confusing "tyranny" with "losing."

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
Bag of crazy

His big complaint is that he has to store his weapons a certain way while driving to the firing range?

Oh, boo-hoo!

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
Max from Northern NJ

When Government once again becomes small enough to fit inside the Constitution, this talk will subside.

The United States Government has grown far, far beyond the defined bounds of the Constitution. Take some time to actually read the Constitution, read about Enumerated Powers, read about the rights of the States. I don't agree with everything this man is saying, but given how politicians have slowly but steadily bent the Constitution to promote their self interests, I can understand why he feels the way he does.

If you frame current events in the context of The Colonies during the American Revolution, his words will make much more sense to you.

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
Nicole from NJ

Is this WNYC or Fox? Anyway, the safety of citizens and the majority is more important than one guy not being able to participate in his hobby the way he would like. Get a new hobby!

This is a major issue with our society, it's the "me" and "what I want" over what makes sense for greater safety and benefit.

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
Lola from Canada

Well... you New Yorkers certainly have great public radio - but I have to say that at this very moment, I am proud to be Canadian. Good luck!

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
Laura from Brooklyn, NY

This guy is paranoid.

There are regulations on guns to make it HARD for crazy people to get them. If you haven't figured that out already, go visit a dangerous 3rd world country where EVERYONE there owns a gun, bring your own gun, and see how long you last.

ALSO... if you don't like your elected officials shouldn't you just try to vote them out of office?

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM

If I lived in Clifton, NJ, I'd be nervous living in the same town as this nut.

Apr. 19 2010 10:31 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

So it's this guy's personal gun issues that are driving this. He lives in a populated urban environment and he's freaking out because society would like him to be responsible in his gun use. Love the way he changes the questions to suit his answers.

Apr. 19 2010 10:30 AM
sm

Come on. I've used a shooting range and had a great time, but there are REASONS such laws are in place.

This guy talking about stockpiling is starting to get into very...uh..."loaded" territory. ;)

Apr. 19 2010 10:30 AM

a target shooter - sounds like he's a real man.

Apr. 19 2010 10:30 AM
dianne from manhattan

What isan example of a "lawful use" of a semi-automatic weapon?
What is the difference between a militia and a terrorist?

Apr. 19 2010 10:30 AM
Lee NYC from NYC / New England

i come from a rural state and grew up with guns, but this spokesperson gives gun-owners a bad name. it seems the right-wing hate machine has many misguided believers.

the brownshirts of this generation are here.

Apr. 19 2010 10:30 AM
Phil

Its so hard not to see this guy as a total radical. We went to war without the correct input from the "people". And even now that we know there were no WMD's, and event which has by and large has been deemed as a historical blunder and has marginalized the US against the rest of the world (not to mention the financail blunder. Where were you during the last administration?? And you call this is a tryannical government??

ps - i am an registered independant

Apr. 19 2010 10:29 AM
Katherine Jackson

I don't get it. What if these people remain, as they are now, in the minority, as reflected in the electoral process. Do they still have the right to initiate violence in the name of "the citizens". This seems to me tyranny in its own right: a small number of people holding the rest of us hostage in the name of "citizens' rights."

Apr. 19 2010 10:29 AM
Robert T Jordan from Mountainhome, PA

Your GUN RIGHTS guest should join the military, and he can fire his weapons till his hearts content.

Apr. 19 2010 10:29 AM
William from Manhattan

Where would your guest have placed himself during the Whiskey Rebellion, with Washington or the rebels?

Apr. 19 2010 10:29 AM
Nancy D Lemmon from Austin

Locking your weapon and not putting in the magazine is just safe. It's not an erosion of freedom.

Apr. 19 2010 10:29 AM
jim

Has he protested for gay rights?

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Walter from Bowling Alley

Sorry, Smokey, that was over the line. That's a foul. Mark it zero.

Mark it zero!

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Greg from Little Falls, NJ

I almost wish these people would make good on their implicit threats of terrorism, so that the patriots of America could raise the scythe of history against them and sweep away their thinly veiled treason like so much chaff.

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Chris B.

What I don't get is why people with concerns like this guys', about the "tyrannical US government" think that it would be theoretically possible to overtake such a hypothetical "tyrannical" regime.

Don't they realize that if the US government decides to "take control" or whatnot, the citizenry is vastly outranked in terms of military capability? The government possesses legions of heavy artillery, tanks, etc. etc. If for whatever reason the military turned against us, there would be very little anyone could do about it with force.

Why are they willing to believe that if the government is willing to send "the troops" after them, they won't send the bombs and the tanks too?

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Clif from Brooklyn

I understand the guys basic point and happen to agree. He keeps saying over and over that guns and rebellion wouldn't be necessary if people would simply exercise their constitutional rights.

I think that's been the biggest factor in the problems we're seeing in our country and social/political system. I think We The People have been grossly negligent of our civic duties in favor of extreme consumerism.

Other than that, the guy's a nut job!

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Mark Mazur from Irvington NY

Brian-PLEASE challenge the guest on his obsessive focus on the abuses of big government -- while he does not acknowledge at all the massive offenses against the American people by big business - incl mining companies leading to slurry flows & unsafe mines, polluting energy producers, unsafe products, financial services industry-manipulated financial disaster, etc etc?

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Lee NYC from NYC / New England

the brownshirts of this generation are here.

Apr. 19 2010 10:28 AM
Megan from Brooklyn

I immigrated here and right away studied American history and the constitution. I cannot find any interpretation anywhere that the original intent of the Right to Bear Arms, outside of the recent few decades in the Supreme Court, and popular opinion among gun enthusiasts, that guns are a right. I have never understood why it has been generally accepted that this right applies to individuals. I think that the founding fathers would be totally aghast that this right has gone beyond the powers of government to anyone who may oppose the government. Guns are a privilege.

Apr. 19 2010 10:27 AM
Jim from NJ

It's no coincidence the guest say the erosion of rights intesified beginning with President Eisenhower. Ask him about if he would have took up arms against the Military forces President Eisenhower sent to Little Rock.

Apr. 19 2010 10:27 AM
Maggie from Kensington from Kensington Brooklyn

What about my individual right to safety VIA GUN CONTROL???

Apr. 19 2010 10:26 AM
rylee

This is a wonderful attempt to have a rational conversation with a person who is irrational. I understand the effort to explore this element of our society, but please find someone who demonstrates a level of intellectual rigor in the development of their philosophies. This guy is just spouting beliefs he has adopted from other sources and is highly inflammatory at the same time.

Apr. 19 2010 10:26 AM
Hambone from Brooklyn

I enjoy shooting. And I have been a gun owner for years.

I find the attention guys like this get disturbing. He is no more representative of most law abiding gun owners than the Tea-baggers are of your average Republican.

Apr. 19 2010 10:26 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

I've listened to Brian Lehrer for a long time, and in the main I've generally enjoyed his show, but today he's taking a patently one-sided and biased view. I don't recall Mr Lehrer condemning acts of violence during the 2004 Republican National Convention, which included arson and vandalism. By playing a clip of fmr Pres Clinton, Mr Lehrer has dived straight into the realm of hypocrisy, by allowing the president who none other than Nat Hentoff called the biggest threat to the Fourth Amendment that had occupied the Oval Office up to that time to speak without questioning the content of his partisan patter. In short, give me a friggin' break already.

"Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. Government is force, and like fire, it is a useful servant, but a dangerous master" - George Washington

Apr. 19 2010 10:26 AM
superf88

"The Line"

Don't Warrentless Wiretaps qualify?

Apr. 19 2010 10:25 AM
Rabble rousing creep

There were troops and Blackwater operatives in the street in New Orleans after Katrina. Would this fellow have gone down there to fight them?

Apr. 19 2010 10:24 AM
Maggie from NY

OMG the phones are down!!! It must be that totalitarian socialist fascist government!!!!! Grab your muskets!!!

Apr. 19 2010 10:24 AM
GO from CT

Just a few results of "being armed":

April 2007: At least 22 people are killed as a gunman goes on the rampage at the campus of Virginia Tech

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman goes on the rampage at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, shooting dead at least three girls before killing himself

September 2006: A gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, and then kills himself

September 2006: Two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin

November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators

March 2005: Schoolboy in Minnesota kills nine, and then shoots himself

May 2004: Four people are injured in a shooting at a school in Maryland

April 2003: Teenager shoots dead a head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, and then kills himself

January 2002: A student who had been dismissed from the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia, killed the dean, a professor and a student, and wounded three others.

March 2001: A pupil kills two students after opening fire at a school in California

February 2000: A classmate shoots dead a six-year-old girl in Michigan.

November 1999: A 13-year-old girl is murdered by a classmate in New Mexico, again via a shooting.

May 1999: Six are injured by a student in a shoot-out in Georgia.

April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado. An award-winning documentary was later made about the killing.

June 1998: Two adults are hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia

Apr. 19 2010 10:24 AM
ny_girl from nyc

First let me say that I am a constitutionalist, I LOVE Ron Paul and support he Tea Party which BTW began long before Obama came into office. I was deeply distressed when the health care bill passed.

But.......... I have come to realize that America as we have known it, has come to the end of the road. There is no logical choice except socialism. We have too many people in the country that just can not take care of themselves. They jobs they may have had will never come back. What are we supposed to do with all of these people? Let them starve?

Apr. 19 2010 10:24 AM
Nancy Breslow

Why do these types always talk about what the average American wants? Plenty of "average Americans" voted for the President and worked hard for health care reform, and think it's absolutely insane to consider taking up arms against our government to avoid having to buy health insurance!

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM
Bruce from NYC

How does this guy feel about federal troops having been used to enforce integration of schools in the 50s. Should the local militias (read KKK) have resisted by force?

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM

Wow. The guest's ignorance is mind boggling.

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

This guy is a monumental idiot. This guy is asking for insurrection and sedition.

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM

He's comparing the the current US government to the Soviet Union, and himself with Reagan's America.

Seriously?

Ask him about Medicare and Social Security, ask him if those are within the government's power to grant. Most of these people want all the benefits of government, they just don't want those benefits to go to those "others".

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM
John from office

Brian, you picked a gun nut to denigrate the issue.. There was no one more rational to discuss this??

His group is probably two people around a kitchen table.

Would you interview a member of the weather underground on gun rights??

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM
Michael

I support strong regulation for the sale and distribution of fire arms. I also realize that guns are an endemic part of Americian culture. To hold rightwinger in uder contenpt is futile. We enjoy alcohol consumption even with laws stating how it can be sold and who is responsible for the despructive behavior of a drunken individuals.
We have to work towards regulated and resposible gun ownership and not a spiteful tug of war over which side will have bragging rights over the other .

Apr. 19 2010 10:23 AM
Erik from New York

Does anyone recall that the Democrats won the election? If the ultra-conservatives want a change they should talk about elections not arms. The idea that the NJ coalition for self-defense represents the average american is a delusion. They are an angry minority, please keep that in perspective.

Apr. 19 2010 10:22 AM
Laurie Spiegel from Tribeca

This guy is infuriating!

The 2nd amendement is NOT about balance of powers, people vs gov't. The "well regulated militia" (that the right to bear arms is intended for) is under the command of the President, not a check upon the govement.

Apr. 19 2010 10:22 AM

this guy shouldn't try to speak for me!!!

Apr. 19 2010 10:22 AM

Whew! What I find striking is that this guest has not mentioned at all the increased surveillance by the US government, the greater assumption of executive power (as in the unitary executive, which Obama is effectively supporting), greater police powers, etc.

Rather, his 'government threats' are health care? Government programs for the poor and disadvantaged? Mr. Rosbury-Yoder doesn't even have his facts right.

Apr. 19 2010 10:21 AM
Phil from Brooklyn

Each and every amendment we have has been abrogated at one time or the other over the years in our history except for the 2nd amendment. It is also the only amendment that covers a right where the technological changes are so immense that this amendment needs to be reviewed and possibly changed. Tell the man he's a allowed a musket cap and ball weapon.

Apr. 19 2010 10:21 AM
CL from New York

Unsupported generalizations. Disingenuous denials. Sophomoric understanding of history and the Constitution.

He would be a mere laughable ass if so many like-minded morons didn't echo his "thoughts."

Apr. 19 2010 10:21 AM
Justin from Brooklyn

I'm a hunter who has been around guns my entire life and currently own a few, but the idea of using them for "self defense" is completely foreign to me, and has never, ever been discussed amongst my gun-toting family.

Apr. 19 2010 10:21 AM
Nancy Cadet from FortGreene BKLYN

Yoder refers to "national guards/federal troops in the streets" and Pres. Eisenhower. He means integration and enforcing civil rights law.

He used the "dog whistle" technique, and didn't say precisely but the racist undertone/message is there. Will Brian ask about that specifically?

Apr. 19 2010 10:21 AM
Daniel from Manhattan

Give Art credit: he's good for comic relief.
But if he wants the people protected from abusive power, how is he going to protect himself from the enormous corporate powers we're facing if the government is not there to do it. Who going to keep Toyota in line? General Motors? The militias? And if the government is not democratic enough, let's make it more democratic let's not commit mass suicide. Or fratricide...

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM

what has "our government" done to take away my rights?

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM
Aharon from UWS of NYC, USA

Guns? Hell, in NYC one can't even carry a decent knife or have ANY blade at ones waist. Meanwhile people walk around with dogs that may weigh as much as 140-150 lbs. that are in some cases self-propelled, and albeit rarely, self-actuated weapons systems. Guns never set themselves off, unlike pit-bulls and rottweilers; and knives don't even go off accidently. Since Sikhs are denied their ceremonial daggers, NYC does not recognize the 2nd OR 1st amendments!

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM
Richard Johnston from UWS

OK, enough. Get this wack job off the air.

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM
JC

The President ran on healthcare reform, the majority voted for him. Democracy rules.

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM
sm

NPR also just reported that the gender wage gap still persists; should I use a gun to punctuate my message that I would like to earn as much as men?

Apr. 19 2010 10:20 AM
Jason K

id like to know this guys stance on illegal immigration. or is that just too obvious?

Apr. 19 2010 10:19 AM
Mike form Manhattan

Brian,
I don't agree with this guy, but you don't really seem to be trying to understand what he is saying. You are making him seem more radical than he is and, as another listener pointed out, your questions (like the Black Panther question) have been leading questions.

Apr. 19 2010 10:19 AM
Michael from Rockville Cente

Scarry Guy.

Apr. 19 2010 10:19 AM
Laura from NYC suburbs

My goodness. The NJ Self-Defense man seems completely oblivious to the "tools that we already have": the right to vote out and replace elected officials.

This is a very scary individual.

Also, he doesn't know much about history. FDR started the expansion of government, not Eisenhower!

Apr. 19 2010 10:19 AM
Phil

Apr. 19 2010 10:19 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Will you ask this this guy why his paranoia about government and trumps my right to enjoy a stable government. And why are elections not the remedy to government that is unpopular. Why are guns the only answer? Also ask him to be specific about what indivdual rights are being violated. He's speaking in sweeping generalities.

Apr. 19 2010 10:18 AM

Is this person saying that the right to wield weapons against the government trumps the will of the electorate as expressed in a Constitutionally correct election?

Apr. 19 2010 10:18 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Steal who’s rights? The Right’s rights?
The political right is posturing to have an armed revolt against the US government a la South America and Africa and Pacific Islanders (in other words, the third world) to protect the Right’s rights but everyone else’s rights be damned.
The political Right seems perfectly comfortable dictating who can vote, marry, adopt, buy, borrow, immigrate, migrate, sue, die, farm, and fight to defend this country but no one but no one can infringe on what the Right perceives as the Right’s rights.

Apr. 19 2010 10:18 AM
Mike from NYC

Rebel against our corporation controlled gov't? Big surprise he sees Black Panthers through a different lens.

Tyranical gov't taking away rights from individuals? Take away his social security payouts..

Apr. 19 2010 10:18 AM
moe

Ask him when he first handled gun, and what were the circumstances.

Apr. 19 2010 10:17 AM
Peter

So the government should change it's policies based on the threat or reality of being shot?

Apr. 19 2010 10:17 AM
John from office

Brian, I own guns and am for lawful ownership of guns. Why, because it is my right as an American.

Could you not find a more rational person to defend my rights. This guest is a nut, who has no idea what he is speaking about. He just fears Obama and the loss of white majority rule. Truth is Obama is a middle of the road president and we will survive this era of irrational thought.

It is unfair to bring on a nut to defend a real right.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
Tom from Manhattan

This guy scares me!

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
Andy

The flaw in the argument that the 2nd amendment is to allow citizens to arm themselves against the government is that the government has tanks, helicopter gunships, and weapons of mass destruction. Are they really advocating that we have the right to these weapons? We currently have no defense against our government other than the ballot box. Pretending that the right to carry handguns guarantees your rights against the government is ridiculus.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
Xtina

Why are you wasting valuable air time on this nutjob? Obama is taking over and turning the US into a totalitarian state? That' he's going to have to defend against? Please! OMG there's a black man in the WH! Run for your guns!

The Second Amendment has been totally perverted by these gun nuts for their own purposes. The point of it was to protect the country, because it was too young to have formed an army at the time.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
IMHO

Shouldn't this gentleman have taken his anti-crazy pills before getting on the radio.

This rant about "from the beginning, the gubmint has steadily taken away our rights" is just fear mongering.

Ask him if he believes the Bible is the literal word of God.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
mozo from nyc

Do you really think that everybody having a gun guarentees freedom? Don't trust the police to protect you? Art is pratically talking sedition. By the way, good question about the Black Panthers, Brian. I guess only right wing angry white people can have guns.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
Leah from Brooklyn

I'm so frustrated by naive Americans like your guest, who are quaint enough to think that our big struggle is against a government run amok rather than multinational corporations and large-scale economic greed that truly tyrannizes us and restricts our everyday freedoms.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
gene from NY

It was when I read the Nixon tape transcripts that I realized, "Wow. These CROOKS were in charge of our country?? Now I see the reason for the 2nd Ammendment."

Of course, the current craze has more to do with the concerted rabble-rousing of the Australian mogul's Fox News than anything real.

Apr. 19 2010 10:16 AM
Ann from Forest Hills

Where was this guest during the 8 years of the Bush (a.k.a. white president) administration? Did he think his rights were protected by the Bush administration? And if not, did he march/protest against President Bush and his illegal wars that he imposed on all Americans?

Has this guest seen the movie "Food, Inc"? Does he know just how much totalitarian control the large corporations have over his life?♠

Apr. 19 2010 10:15 AM
Mary Carroll from Hawthorne, NJ

Brian, this guy scares me! He has mentioned the President several times. People like him are why I am afraid of guns!

Apr. 19 2010 10:15 AM
JC from New Jersey

This man sounds like a traitor.

Apr. 19 2010 10:15 AM
Jay F.

Brian... Why are you twisting his words? He's being clear on what his agenda is... What's your agenda? What's with the Black Panthers question? You are leading.

Apr. 19 2010 10:15 AM
superf88

I would applaud the guest's position if he were referring to a country such as China.

But I'm confused -- since we are in a Representative Democracy, isn't his first obligation to make sure that his rights are being defended by his elected proxies in our central government? Isn't that what our government IS?

BTW I own a range of firearms and use them occasionally.

Apr. 19 2010 10:15 AM
Richard Johnston from UWS

Ask the dude when a president has every gone berserk.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
Er-nay from UWS

I don't think your guest really knows what a "dictator" is

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM

great segment Brian. This guy sounds like he just wants the right not to have a black president.

None of these guys were in the street during Bush.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
JT from Long Island

Where were these protests when Bush/Cheney actually did infringe on our rights?

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
Jason K from nyc

so basically this guy is saying... he hates black people. ok we get the point. next topic.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
Maggie from NY

Why are you interviewing mentally unstable people on the radio? It seems exploitative. The poor man obviously needs help, but he obviously is a prime example of why strict gun control is essential.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
Herb from Brooklyn, NY

This isn't the 18th century. Nobody is going to invade the USA. Regular citizens don't need guns.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
Michael from Manhattan

I wonder if this gentleman believes that American citizens with guns could hold off the weaponry -- tanks, missiles, helicopters, etc. -- that the American government has in its arsenal. If not, does he advocate that citizens be allowed to possess the equivalent of what the government has?

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM

guest wants to stand up to the elected government.

Apr. 19 2010 10:14 AM
kp from nj

Hitler's birthday is April 20, that was the reason for the date for Columbine.

Apr. 19 2010 10:13 AM
Ken

We need the right to defend ourselves against an oppressive government, but we would never advocate such a thing? This is seriously dangerous talk. You can't advocate violence against the government and then deny all responsibility. Please cut the phone line with this idiot and put us out of his misery.

Apr. 19 2010 10:13 AM
Matt from NYC

No amount of fire arms are going to protect us against a tyranical American government. Hand guns and rifles against stealth bombers? Spare me.

Apr. 19 2010 10:13 AM

angry old white men see 'their' america disappearing.

Apr. 19 2010 10:12 AM
Jason K.

bunch of whiners...

Apr. 19 2010 10:12 AM
Jason from Staten Island

Wow, what a nut. Love it when these guys dig their own graves like this....

Apr. 19 2010 10:11 AM
RLewis from Bowery

And then the Waco attacked happened on the same day, so McVey picked it as others have as a day to rally around.

And what does "a well-regulated mitlia" mean in the 2nd amendment???

Apr. 19 2010 10:11 AM