The Nunziata Twins and the American Songbook

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

WNYC's Richard Hake sat down with 26-year-old twin brothers Will and Anthony Nunziata and director Richard Jay Alexander to talk about the next generation of American songbook interpreters.

The twins were bit by the show biz bug while singing in the back seat of their parents' car, driving down from Pelham to see Broadway shows.

They got their first big break at Boston College, where they were cast as Jesus and Judas in the campus production of Godspell.

But recently, they hit cabaret gold when director Richard Jay Alexander took them under his wing.  Alexander has worked with performance icons, including Bernadette Peters, Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand.

The twins start a 5-night residency at Feinstein's on Tuesday.

Download these in-studio sessions of the Nunziata's take on American standards:

Sondheim's "Pretty Women"

and Michael Feinstein's "Swing is Back in Style."

Watch them in rehearsal:

Tags:

More in:

Deborah from Boston

Went to the closing performance Saturday and was delighted by the act. Traveled from Boston myself, but there were others who had come from as far as Oklahoma and California, as thanks much to fabulous publicity like this charming piece, the Nunziatas' fan base is growing rapidly with each new performance opportunity they graciously consider themselves to have been blessed with receiving. Their genuine passion for entertaining and love of classic music is incredibly endearing, and they played to a packed house that spanned a suprisingly broad range of cabaret-goers. True talent appeals to the masses and these boys have what it takes to make more than "just one" person happy. Their upbeat renditions of "I Believe In You," "Oh When the Saints" into "Lullaby of Broadway," and "Come On Get Happy/Happy Days" left me smiling through the tears brought to my eyes by their takes on songs like "The Prayer" and "The Age of Make Believing." Bravo to them both indeed. Well worth the $ as it was an uncomparably pleasant night on the town. See Stephen Holden's excellent review of Will & Anthony: From Pelham to Park Avenue in the NY Times if any of the negativity in previous comments on this site dissuade your interest in the slightest.

Apr. 26 2010 09:50 AM
James from Midtown East, NYC

I saw these two last week having heard them on WNYC, and I witnessed future stars. The buzz in the audience afterwards was like nothing I have felt, seen, or been apart of in a very long time. As an avid theatre and club goer, I got way more than my $ worth. They were funny one moment (Will having me in stitches with his Louis Armstrong impersonation), charming the next, had me in tears with those booming voices, and their interpretations of the classic Willow Weep for Me (Anthony, with a deeper resonance than his brother) and No More (sung by Will, with a sweeter resonance, sung with a vulnerability that was surprising to see from a 20-something), from Sondheim's Into the Woods, had me devastated. I cannot say enough. It was the perfect birthday present for my wife.

Apr. 26 2010 12:10 AM
Mrs Patrick Campbell(auth)

April 22 at 444 is NOT our post!

Apr. 24 2010 01:10 PM
Shirley from Upper East Side, Manhattan

I am a Broadway Associate Producer, and saw these boys on opening night, and it was one of the freshest & most delightful nights I have had in Manhattan in awhile. I laughed, I cried, I was incredibly impressed. While they may seem too young to take control of such an esteemed room as Feinstein's, they owned the room as if seasoned professionals. Bravo to these two talents, I hope they come back to NYC soon.

Apr. 22 2010 07:58 PM
Mrs. Patrick Campbell

"Pritty wiman, fasssssssssscinattinGah!"

Dear lord, a WEEK of that? Those poor waiters.

(Good time to schedule a vacation).

Apr. 22 2010 04:44 AM
Peachy Deegan

They are fabulous and we highly recommend them: http://www.whomyouknow.com/2010/04/nightlight-will-and-anthony-nunziata.html

Apr. 21 2010 05:35 PM
Peachy Deegan

Apr. 21 2010 05:35 PM
Zach from Queens

these guys are crazy talented. watch them live and you can't help but be impressed

Apr. 21 2010 01:38 PM
Lisa from New Jersey

Maybe this was played a little too much, but these boys are clearly very talented and isn't it nice that they are singing some great music and doing something that is positive and good for others. bravi tutti!

Apr. 21 2010 01:16 PM
Wendell = Love

Oh, Wendell - nobody is jealous, but thanks for bringing up the biggest cliche comeback of the last 5 years. The complaint is abut how many times the report was repeated, and how long it was. Please, try not to get so upset that you resort to self-inspecting your innards.

Apr. 21 2010 01:11 PM
Trevor from Gramercy Park

It looks like the cameraman is trying to find a way to jump out the window at the end of that clip.

Apr. 21 2010 01:00 PM
Wendell from Queens

I love these two! I think people need to get out of the house and stop complaining on this site. They are the future, and I think can not only tear up the concert scene around the country, but where are the TV people? These boys are stars, and anyone else that says otherwise are jealous. The radio needs more like these two!

Apr. 21 2010 12:58 PM
Jim

Those HARRRRRRRRRd aRRRRRRRRRRs!

Oy!

Apr. 21 2010 12:50 PM
Please

Yes, please explain exactly who approved this. The only explanation I can think of is a producer there who has some desire to be a crusader for cabaret - which is great. Even in the entertainment section of a news program, you have to keep in mind the ideals that go behind presenting a news story. Broadcasting this feature about a pair who will only appeal to those with enough money to sip 30 dollar cocktails really lets down your audience. Please don't repeat this

Apr. 21 2010 09:12 AM
Jersey Listener

Honestly, they're obviously very talented young men, but having to listen to this very long segment four times in the past 24 hours is absolutely ridiculous.

Apr. 21 2010 09:05 AM
Dash from Hell's Kitchen

This is like an April Fool's segment that won't end.

Apr. 21 2010 08:00 AM
Bob Brush from Brooklyn

It's disgraceful that I'm hearing the same promo piece for these two in 24 hours. Who approved this? Why not give some of that air time to acts that will appeal to the other 97 percent of your audience. Very transparent, and will be heavy on my mind when it comes to re-upping my membership.

Apr. 21 2010 07:57 AM