Open Phones: iPad Early Adopters

Monday, April 05, 2010

Report on your early iPad experience!

The product is out, and Farhad Manjoo, Slate's technology columnist and author of True Enough: Learning To Live in a Post-Fact Society weighs in. Plus, The Takeaway's web editor Jim Colgan brings his brand new iPad into the studio for a demonstration.

And, it’s time for your reviews. If you spent the weekend playing with your new iPad, describe your experience. If you’re a developer furiously working on an application for the new device, report on your progress – and how much sleep you’re getting! Comment below!

Jim Colgan and Farhad Manjoo

daviel shy from brooklyn

I listen to and support wnyc because of the programming, I do not tune in to hear a half hour long commercial for ipad. Please, no more spots like this one. how offensive to a long time listener.

Apr. 05 2010 12:08 PM
hjs from 11211

laugh it up!
the days of the consumer will soon be over

Apr. 05 2010 12:00 PM
Linda from East Village

Haven't tried the iPad yet. But one major benefit occurs to me: Unlike the cell phone & Blackberry, the iPad is large enough to be intrusive, at, say, a dinner table or when you're having drinks. So it's likely we won't be so rude as to pull it out while we're spending time with others.

Maybe the iPad will encourage solitary time to catch up on reading???

I assume it's small enough for men to slip into their pocket, right?

Apr. 05 2010 11:56 AM
Steve S. from Washington Heights

I pre-ordered an iPad and picked it up on Saturday. So far, I'm pretty excited. Most of my favorite iPhone apps have already been released in (more expensive) iPad versions. It feels like a magic screen out of Star Trek. Very smooth, elegant operation. I'm a little annoyed that you can't dock it while it's in a case, that it won't charge when connected to a USB hub, and that the neat new Netflix app keeps crashing when streaming movies (an awesome feature), but I'm otherwise thrilled to pieces. So sick of hearing about people complain that there's no multi-tasking or Flash—get over it! Flash is buggy and multi-tasking (which we may see anyway in a later version of the OS) drains battery life!

Apr. 05 2010 11:48 AM
Dubya

John P. MacKenzie from Long Island City
USB support to connect a camera is possible with a usb adapter they sell. Camera and multi-tasking is totally possible in the future, email is as good as it gets. You have to play with it to see for yourself. It's good at what it does and doesn't replace my imac and MBP (I'm an architect + photographer), but using it for presentations will be amazing.

Apr. 05 2010 11:01 AM
John P. MacKenzie from Long Island City

i resent planned obsolescence and am going to wait for missing features already provided on iPhone and iMac: webcam, better email, multi-tasking, USB connection, perhaps others. Please opine on whether these features are easy (or hard, or expensive) to provide now.

Apr. 05 2010 10:46 AM
Apurva Pathak from Manhasset, NY

I love my new toy!

It feels a tad bigger and heavier than I would have like it to be or imagined it to be. Reading a book on it for extended periods of time may cause some fatigue :)

So, the first thing I wanted to compare with the Kindle and the Stanza app on the iPhone was the iBook app on the iPad. I love it that the iPad is back-lit - my number one complaint with the Kindle is that it's not back-lit as I tend to read at night in very low light. So, for me the iPad is everything I needed in that respect. However, the built-in Dictionary is not as good - I don't think I could navigate to another definition from within a dictionary definition. I can do that very easily on the Kindle. May be there is a way and I am not getting it.

There is going to be some serious competition between my wife and me on who gets to use the iPad for reading books. We have our favorite books lined up already!

Apr. 05 2010 10:45 AM
Dubya

Amazing, Check. Productive, check. Addictive, check.
Shamefully, I brought it with me into the bathroom. Un-shamefully, it thereby creates an unlisted app: The iPad bathroom magazine cleaner upper.

Apr. 05 2010 10:41 AM
Charles maraia from Manhattan

So far so cool. Typing isn't as easy as a keyboard, but easy enough. It's a great tool for browsing and emailing in bed. Sounds lazy,but as a person who was bed bound for 3 months recovering from an auto accident, I can appreciate the eAse of use in a prone position.

Wish I could attach an external hard drive to transfer photo files after a shoot. Wish Flash worked. Wished it multitasked. Maybe an OS upgrade will address these issues.

Apr. 05 2010 10:19 AM