Open Phones: Weird Interview Questions

Monday, April 05, 2010

We want to give you a chance to turn the tables on those nerve-racking interviewers, and tell us about the things they do that strike you as odd. Give us a call with the weirdest, the most surprising, or the most thought provoking question you've ever gotten during a job interview. Comment below!

Madsci from NYC

One interviewer straight out told me that he thought I was too young and the other asked me "how do you feel about telling older people what to do?"

I'm a female, 31, experienced, have a PhD in the sciences and know how to get people to do what needs to be done. Suffice it to say, I lost interest and declined further consideration for the job.

Apr. 05 2010 11:51 AM
christina from manhattan

once I was interviewing with a public sector consulting firm, and I was asked to dissect issues on border security. Among the issues, I mentioned civil rights, and I was told to not project my personal political believes in my problem solving. I was glad that I did not get the job.

Apr. 05 2010 11:50 AM
Jack

I had an female interviewer ask me....

"So what would it take to go to bed with you?"

Apr. 05 2010 11:44 AM
Tim

Someone asked me:

"So tell me what you don't like about yourself"

Apr. 05 2010 11:42 AM
Lisa Green from Washington Heights NYC

My experience isn't related to a question but rather an action (or lack thereof): I interviewed for a legal position with two high level legal execs at the Dept of Education. During the introduction, "it's nice to meet you" stage, both women refused to shake my hand! This was during the paranoia of H1N1. I stood there with my hand out, while they both just looked at it and sat down! (The only thing missing was a small bowl at the end of my hand for spare change, ha, ha.)

Apr. 05 2010 11:41 AM
Caroline from Manhattan

I went on rounds and rounds of interviews for a position I really wanted. The last interview was with the department head, it went super well and I thought I would be offered the job. A week later I got a call form him, thinking I would get an offer, and instead he asked me out. I learned later that he was well known in the industry for doing this. Ugh. I guess it's good I never worked for him!

Apr. 05 2010 11:40 AM
Barbara from Brooklyn

Several years ago, I interviewed for a lab tech job at Sloan-Kettering. I had a BA in Biology and had been working in a lab for three years. After 3 call backs, the doctor interviewing me asked me if I knew that I had to use distilled water to prepare solutions. I said of course, and asked why. He said "because the last tech we had was black and didn't know that she should do this".

Apr. 05 2010 11:38 AM
Ray Williams

Applying for a waiter, I was told that I would be a more effective candidate if my name had more than one syllable like .... Bartholomeu

Apr. 05 2010 11:37 AM