Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Friday, April 02, 2010

What stats really matter this baseball season?

Baseball Prospectus 2010 editor Steven Goldman and co-contributor Jay Jaffe step up to the plate to preview the baseball season.

Steven Goldman and Jay Jaffe

ericf

I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable.

~Mrs. Robert A. Taft

Apr. 02 2010 12:00 PM
Mike from Manhattan

Baseball is the thinking man's sport.

Apr. 02 2010 11:59 AM
Michael from New York City

I would like to know what stat most unexpectedly correlates with the success of a team.

Apr. 02 2010 11:57 AM
dave from charleston, SC

I've been reading BP for years, have all the annuals going back before they ruined Josh Phelps career by putting him on the cover, and they do great work. Thanks for having them on.

Goldman's a fantastic writer who mixes stats with opinion very effectively. As a Bill James fan myself, their site is a continuation of the work he started- smart, witty, and increases my appreciation of the game immensely.

There's a big enough tent in baseball fandom to allow for people who love stats and people who have no use for them. But baseball front offices have come around to the accuracy of their methods.

Apr. 02 2010 11:56 AM
Juan M from Long Island City

Favorite obscure stat:

BABIP= batting average (allowed) on balls in play.

Apr. 02 2010 11:54 AM
Seth from Astoria

Lesser Known Fact: For my undefeated T-ball team in 1988, I hit a homerun every at bat, except ONE when we played in the rain and I slipped while rounding 3rd and dislocated my collarbone. (It popped back in and I made it home on the next at bat)

Apr. 02 2010 11:54 AM
Jay

Wow,

I never thought anyone can make baseball more boring. These guys have done it! Waiting for NFL opening weekend!!!

Apr. 02 2010 11:53 AM