162,000 More Jobs

Friday, April 02, 2010

Stocks editor at Barron's Magazine, Bob O'Brien, reacts to the new jobs report showing the U.S. economy added 162,000 jobs in March, many of them temporary census jobs.

Bob O'Brien
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Apothecary Jobs from us

<a href="http://apothecaryjobs.com" rel="dofollow">Apothecary Jobs</a>

Apothecary (pronounced /əˈpɒθɨkɛəri/) is a historical name for a medical

professional who formulates and dispenses materia medica to physicians, surgeons

and patients — a role now served by a pharmacist (or a chemist or dispensing

chemist), and some caregivers. In addition to pharmacy responsibilities, the

apothecary offered general medical advice and a range of services that are now

performed solely by other specialist practitioners, such as surgery and midwifery.

Apothecaries often operated through a retail shop which, in addition to ingredients

for medicines, sold tobacco and patent medicines. In its investigation of herbal

and chemical ingredients, the work of the apothecary may be regarded as a precursor

of the modern sciences of chemistry and pharmacology, prior to the formulation of

the scientific method. The first mention of an apothecary was in the Book of Exodus

(Torah and Old Testament) in which Moses was given instructions by God for the

preparation of the Holy Anointing...

Jun. 10 2010 03:50 PM
David from Boston

I'll correct what your guest has said. "High Tech" does not create manufacturing jobs. At least it doesn't in the software and hardware industry (semiconductor chips). The jobs in those fields is in design. This work requires advanced degrees in engineering and about 10 years of experience. The manufacturing of semiconductors takes place almost exclusivley in Asia.

According to the callers it sounds like happy days are here again. I hope so, but I don't see it yet.

Apr. 02 2010 03:54 PM
David from Boston

Hello!

We need 400,000 new jobs every month, for 2 years, just to get back to where we were in 2007.

Apr. 02 2010 03:40 PM
super88

Now write this down:

Without Poor there is no such thing as "Rich." This is and will always be unacceptable to the Rich!

Apr. 02 2010 10:47 AM
Dominick from Hells Kitchen

I'm scheduled to receive a raise after 3 years.
About 150 workers were layed off in the last year (including my boss). I'm worker more for
the same pay since last year. I just hope my raise will pay for a coffee and bagel.

Apr. 02 2010 10:23 AM
DM from NYC

Commentary re: growth in high tech jobs is nearly all wrong with respect to job growth. These jobs can be located anywhere, America has no natural leadership in this field. The "project managers" in this field are much more likely to be leading projects with workers overseas. So while one PM job is created in the US, a dozen technical jobs might be overseas. This isn't intended to be a comment against off-shoring, just to temper the optimism of the opinion aired -- don't expect "high-tech jobs" to be a growth engine.

Apr. 02 2010 10:20 AM
Joe from New York

I'm a freelance illustrator and designer, and frankly, my experience has been "What recession?" I suspect that my talents as a freelancer have become more in demand because companies don't have to pay me for down time, or benefits: as a result, the shift to an independent contractor economy has been a real boon, and thus, I can actually charger higher rates than I would in a salaried gig. Weird.

Apr. 02 2010 10:16 AM
C.A. Williams from Montclair

The Feds added 48k census workers AND the rebound from February's storms account for a lot.

So, with unemployment still at 9.7%, lets not get too happy.

Apr. 02 2010 10:07 AM
superf88

Now that the fed has stopped buying mortgage-backed securities from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are stocks peaking as we speak?

Apr. 02 2010 09:52 AM