Inspector Gadget: Burning Questions

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The fourth and final installment of our month-long series on technology features Peter Rojas, co-founder of gdgt.com, Gizmodo, and Engadget. This week, we are taking your calls and questions on all things Tech-life.

Hear our tech discussions from earlier this month: Over-Deviced | Wireless Everywhere | Is Mircosoft Cool Again?

Peter Rojas

Peter Rojas

Steven from Baldwin-

An all VOIP network could have much higher call quality. An example of this is Skype, which has much higher voice quality than you currently get on a circuit switched network running over copper.

Mar. 25 2010 01:26 PM
Steve from Baldwin

I disagree with the guest. As a Verizon employee I can say for sure that the quality of circuit switched calls is equal to packet (VOIP) calls. The difference is that a circuit switched network needs LOTS of equipment.

Mar. 25 2010 11:03 AM
Rory Bernstein from Brooklyn, NY

If a web site takes a lot of information about me and posts it on their site (work history, education history, basically the contents of my online resume), and they also steal my LinkedIn profile photo, how can I get them to remove that info from their site?

Mar. 25 2010 10:57 AM
Heidi from brooklyn

Re: tagging in pics on Facebook

Another reason people might not want a pic tagged w/their name on Facebook is that sometimes people post old pictures--I don't necessarily want my friends to see that picture of me in my awkward stage at age 12!

Mar. 25 2010 10:57 AM
the truth from Betty

What happened to the Motorola Razor?

Mar. 25 2010 10:57 AM
Chris from Yonkers

I've been tagged in photos that I am not in because people are trying to get my attention. "You've been tagged in a photo" shows up and then I have to take the time to remove my name from a photo of famous Yankees or some other spam.

Mar. 25 2010 10:56 AM
Marshall Jones from Manhattan

What's the deal with Adobe Flash vs Steve Jobs?

Will Flash EVER be on the iPad / iPhone ?

Flash CS5 is supposed to give developers a way to publish native iPhone apps, but I'm a little skeptical about Apple's inclination to approve these apps...

Mar. 25 2010 10:55 AM
Einar from Bushwick

Where are the new Macbook Pros!?

Mar. 25 2010 10:51 AM
Erin from Brooklyn

Hi. I work in a large building in midtown Manhattan, during standard M-F 9-5 business hours the iPhone network is almost completely unreachable due to the thousands of people in the building using the same network. We joke about watching the signal go up and down and the network switches from 3G to Edge to 'searching'. Will AT&T ever be able to do something about this?

Mar. 25 2010 10:49 AM
Jeff from Manhattan

Your guest should really know about that Line2 article, it's the biggest step yet towards running a cell connection over Wifi and reducing the need for a traditional cellular connection ahem ATT)...research research research!

Love the show,

Jeff

Mar. 25 2010 10:49 AM
superf88

On phones: The only phone that had seconded as a wireless modem for a laptop was put out by Sprint. They just backward engineered the phone and pulled it off the market.

On non-location backup: I like Mozy but can we trust the cloud? And is there a product that can make files available to others?

Mar. 25 2010 10:49 AM
Edward from NJ

Are any cell phone providers close to breaking ranks on obscenely overcharging for text messages?

Mar. 25 2010 10:49 AM
Nancy from Manhattan

WHEN is 4G supposed to start?

Mar. 25 2010 10:48 AM
Steve S. from Washington Heights

The United States has such slower Internet service on average than many other countries, such as South Korea (where the gov't has made strides to make high speed Internet, 10 times faster than what we get, I believe, ubiquitous). While I understand the issues of legacy infrastructure and telecomm company intransigence keeping us behind, I'm curious to know your guest's thoughts on how this problem might affect the ability of the US to innovate and compete in a more level global economy and what we might be missing out on, especially gadget-wise.

Mar. 25 2010 10:47 AM
garr g from nyc

please ask your guest about the "new" sprint g4 mobile phone set for release of summer 2010 and the continued rollout of wimax g4 on their network?
also any info on the competing versions of g4 ?
thanks

Mar. 25 2010 10:47 AM
RJ from brooklyn

I simply can't afford all of this!

Mar. 25 2010 10:46 AM
Betty Anne from UES

Can you ask him about environmental concerns with WiFi and in general are tech companies working to create "safe" products or do they lobby to protect their best interests?

Mar. 25 2010 10:46 AM
antonio from park slope

When is the verizon iphone going to drop?

Mar. 25 2010 10:43 AM
Jen C. from Westchester

I have a two older desktops, one newer laptop, and one netbook, along with a newer scanner (USB2) and an older printer and flatbed scanner (USB). I'm in an old house (3+ floors & plaster walls) We'd like to be able to use the laptops throughout the house along w/the peripherals AND have all the pcs share files. The only thing working well is using the internet (Verizon DSL)on the laptops. The old pcs are really slow, esp online. Is there anyway to optimize them? What is the best way to wirelessly interact with the peripherals? And how do I get the machines to share files?

THANKS!!!!