Inspector Gadget: Is Microsoft Cool Again?

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Peter Rojas, tech guru and founder of gdgt.com, Engadget, and Gizmodo, is in studio for the third installment of the month-long series on technology.

Today’s Topic: Is Microsoft getting cool again?

Peter Rojas

JP from NJ

Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

Look, I to started on a Apple II and even learned Basic computer programming on it. As time moved on, I had to kiss the Mac good by because they just couldn’t run the programs I needed to use. I never had problems with any Macs nor have I PCs. It’s a computer, it’s just a tool. Nothing more nothing less… A slide rule, dial calipers or digital calipers, you have to read them all differently. But at the end of the day, they will all give you just as fast and accurate of a reading. It comes to what your comfortable with and how much money do you want to spend.

You couldn’t be more wrong about Microsoft forcing software companies to only develop for Microsoft OS. In fact, it’s the exact opposite. The programming community is in a uproar right now because Apple makes you all but give away you’re first born to allow you to develop software for a Mac. To add insult to injury, How is it cost effective for any software company to spend time and lots of money to develop special software for not even 10% of their sales. It just doesn’t make good business sense…. By the way, all my expensive programs that won’t run on a Mac will run perfectly fine on Linux, which as you know is a completely free and open source OS. Now how did good old Uncle Bill ever let that one get buy him? Sorry, Mac is a nice machine but at the end of the day its an overpriced Dell with its own OS that doesn’t like to play with the rest of the real world…..

Mar. 18 2010 04:06 PM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

Well, I studied electronics, computer programming and microprocessors back in the late '70s and early '80s. My first personal computer was an APPLE II which I really loved and hated to have to part with. I was forced into the IBM PC world kicking and screaming, especially when I had to use it for early graphical work and DTP.
The head programmer felt sorry for me, as he had worked for Digital and he tried to get my boss to get me the new Macs then in the mid-80s.
Anyway, cutting to the quick, the first barely passable Msoft OS was XP. I am still using it now. While your experiences may have been very different, I would love to compare the satisfaction level of PC users on average versus that of Mac users. Yes, MSoft has made it very difficult for software companies to work with Mac and Linux users. That is why Macs don't have as much software available due to MSoft making it clear: US or THEM! That's what you get with a virtual monopoly.

Mar. 18 2010 12:27 PM
JP from NJ

Jgarbuz from Queens, NY #17

I’m an Industrial designer, I use all of adobe graphic products everyday. I also use a $20,000 CAD program and a $6000 rendering program everyday that won’t work on a Mac, even with the XP dual booting option. Drop dead deadlines? Have you ever missed a deadline with a tool and die maker and the domino effect it has and the hundreds of thousands of dollars you could be responsible for? I’m sorry, I just don’t have problems with my PC that you have. Maybe you should take an intro to computers course….

Buy the way, in the car world, Rolls Royce and Lamborghini's are considered expensive exotic cars. They are also considered to be very unreliable.

Mar. 18 2010 11:41 AM
jonn k from NYC

I am a professional.
I work w After Effects and 3D programs every day. I use a PC every day.

I never get viruses. I have had a antivirus running in the background for years, and it has detected a virus Once in the last decade.
The whole virus is argument is ridiculous and way overblown.

Mar. 18 2010 11:34 AM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

to John K

I'm not into a PC fanboy vs. Mac fanboy rant fest. The simple fact is, that if you NEED a professional machine to keep your job or to work at your highest potential, you happily pay the extra for a Mac. If not, a PC is good enough. It's not "mission-critical." You'll live if your machine get a virus and your hard drive is wiped out. But if you're professional who actually needs a machine that get work done with a very high degree of reliability, a Mac is your only obvious choice.

Mar. 18 2010 11:29 AM
jonn k from NYC

Rolls Royce or Lamborghini??
Ha, you CANNOT be serious.

They are the same machines that do the same things.

Apple has managed to con the masses into paying more for a machine that does the same exact crap. You are paying triple for a FRUIT LOGO.

It's like paying triple for a coke over a pepsi.

Wake up sheepintoshers.

Mar. 18 2010 11:22 AM
the truth! from BKNY

Again? I deleted that email!

Mar. 18 2010 11:16 AM
Drew from Westchester

Again? It has been behind the curve and playing catchup on every computing innovation since the 80s: Graphical user interfaces, everything based on the internet, games consoles, phones... It had one great business coup, that of using the openness of the PC architecture to get a near-monopoly in personal computing software via the operating system, and it has used that power repeatedly to crush more innovative competitors. If it did something cool recently, I must have blinked.

Mar. 18 2010 11:14 AM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

To JP

The fact is, why does Rolls Royce or Lamborghini charge what they do for their products? If you ABSOLTUELY REQUIRE a truly reliable and productive machine that does what you want when you want it, and an be relied on to meet drop-dead deadlines in your work, you'll happily pay triple for a Mac. But if your just a casual user, as most of us are, a $150 dollar machine that crashes or has to be rebooted on regular occasions is just fine. I'm typing on a machine I paid $120 bucks for running XP and its fine for what I need now in my life. But When I was doing technical documentation and graphic software work to get technical manuals out the door ASAP, having to use Windows on a PC was a real productivity killer. It was back in the '80s and my boss was cheap, so I had to bust my chops on a PC with Microsoft's buggy c%£p! In summary, Macs are for pros; PCs are for the masses.

Mar. 18 2010 11:11 AM
Matt from Fort Greene

I'd like to second Sam Tresler's comment. When I build websites on my Mac (being a designer/web developer, we're all Mac), cross-browser testing is no problem. Safari, Firefox, Chrome, even Opera (usually) all do what they're supposed to. Moving to the PC browsers is a different story. Firefox & Chrome usually behave well, though Firefox has terrible font rendering. Explorer is so unsupportive of web standards code, it's like you need to code 3 different websites for each version! IE8 seems much better, though that doesn't address the 20% of so of users still on IE6 and IE7. It's just a shame: CSS v.3 seems to add so much more do what developers can do, there's so many new options with web typography (using actual fonts instead of images), but it's basically all on hold until Microsoft makes a stronger commitment to supporting web standards.

Mar. 18 2010 11:09 AM
JP from NJ

Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

Really? You can buy or build and use a PC without using a single Microsoft product. You cant turn on a brand new Mac without paying Steve Jobs a minimum of $1100 first… Who’s the pirate?

Mar. 18 2010 11:02 AM
Paul from Ridgewood NJ

Vista really is junk. By the time Windows 7 came out, Vista finally rose to the level of "OK", but that's not saying much.

Mar. 18 2010 10:59 AM
jp from Brooklyn NY

Lets define "cool".

Yes, companies like Microsoft and Apple have integrated themselves into our everyday lives almost seamlessly. However to say a company like Microsoft, producers of the popular Xbox360 gaming console, is "cool" is a joke considering the staggering 20% failure rate of the console. A poorly manufactured device, rushed out to the public that often breaks due to overheating. leaving customers (gamers) with their hands up in the air.

On the flip side, Apple creates devices that are well made and stands behind their products.

Mar. 18 2010 10:58 AM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

It's so pathetic to say that Xbox is an example of a good product. I have three of them. They drop dead 30% of the time! I agree that Xbox has finally become an acceptably workable problem, but talk to the millions of early Xbox users and ask them what they thought about Xbox reliability :)

Mar. 18 2010 10:58 AM
smidely

I love WNYC and BL Show but I must say I don't usually tune in when I'm trying to figure out "what's cool"

Mar. 18 2010 10:56 AM
Sam Tresler from Union Square

I'm a web developer. I can't begin to describe the countless hours that have been poured into making websites compliant with IE6 and IE7. We generally tack on about 25% to _any_ website bid if people require IE6 compliance because it is *that* far out of standards compliance.

For people whose jobs have been ludicrously burdened with Microsoft's horrible products Microsoft will never be cool.

Mar. 18 2010 10:56 AM
Jgarbuz from Queens, NY

Bill Gates is a pirate who devoted most of his efforts keeping his stuff from being pirated. He now gives his money away to build up his "treasure in heaven" because he knows how he got his treasure on earth, and hopes to make good with the CEO in the sky.
Msoft always was schlock, and always will be. Everything they put out would be recalled every day if it were an automobile! It has never innovated. Apple was the innovator and always will be, but people love schlock. That's why they drink sugar water even though it makes makes them fat and sick. In the final analysis, a sucker is born every minute and a large number of them are called "Americans."

Mar. 18 2010 10:56 AM
Pierce Droms from flatbush, brooklyn

Microsoft is decent at making any product except a stable operating system. Mac OS X or any linux distro seem to work better while using less resources. They are switching from a software to video game company.

Mar. 18 2010 10:54 AM
ericf

forget "again".

what's making MS cool to me for the first time is singularity (and whatever comes out it).

Mar. 18 2010 10:54 AM
JP from NJ

What’s wrong with you Mac people? I’ve never had any problems that you all claim to have using a PC. Learn how to use a computer. I just don’t get it…. And yes, I use Photoshop and Illustrator everyday to plus programs that far more demanding on a computer then any Adobe product….

Mar. 18 2010 10:52 AM
jonn k from NYC

ipad = fail

Mar. 18 2010 10:50 AM
R.Robot

Wait. MS was cool?
See, I never thought they were very cool at all.

Mar. 18 2010 10:49 AM
Jamison from Ft Green

Its better then being a Mac Sheep! I dont know why apple was never called a monopoly?

Mar. 18 2010 10:49 AM
michael from brooklyn

ha yeah, microsoft is basically the meaning of "uncool", but apple is quickly slipping down that slope. soon they will both be swimming in uncoolville.

Mar. 18 2010 10:48 AM
superf88

"Can MSFT make itself cool again?"

Ha! I was just wondering that very question with regard to Apple and Google!

Looking forward to OS3.0...

Mar. 18 2010 10:07 AM