Counting Irish New York

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On this Saint Patrick’s Day, Siobhan Dennehy, executive director of Emerald Isle Immigration Center, looks at how Irish New York City has changed over the course of Censuses past.

Siobhan Dennehy

GerrieB from Long Island NY

I have always heard "Shanty Irish" used as being "less" than the "Lace Curtain Irish" ... which as I recall was how the Kennedy's of MA were described. Their progenitor, however, HoneyFitz, however was said to have come from shantyIrish.

Mar. 17 2010 12:20 PM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Michael from Prospect Park South -- Speaking of Mexico, you might want to check out The Chieftains' new album, "San Patricio," with Ry Cooder and other illustrious musicians. It's a wonderful tribute to both Irish and Mexican music.

Mar. 17 2010 12:06 PM
Michael from Prospect Park South, Brooklyn

St Patricks Day here makes me feel home I imagine Mexicans feel on Cinco de Mayo.

Mar. 17 2010 11:58 AM
RCT from NYC

To the caller who discussed "Irish" drinking: I've just gotten off a Metro North train from Southeast, and the hundred or so drunken teenagers on the train, obviously heading for the parade, didn't look Irish to me.

Mar. 17 2010 11:58 AM
Carey from Jersey

I love it when you ask someone here "what are you?", they will say "I'm Irish, Italian, african". But if someone is born in the USA and claims to be Irish, are they Irish or American?

Mar. 17 2010 11:57 AM
Mike C. from Tribeca

Brian, you mentioned the "huge Irish housing bubble." The cost of buying a house in Ireland went through the roof in triple and quadruple time during the Celtic Tiger. In fact, there have been numerous public protests over the years about the high cost of housing. High priced housing hasn't been a good thing, especially for the younger folks in Ireland.

Have a wonderful Saint Patrick's Day.

Mar. 17 2010 11:53 AM