Bushwick and the Census

Monday, March 15, 2010

Many New York City neighborhoods are hard to count. Annie Correal of Feet in Two Worlds looks at the under-counting in Bushwick, Brooklyn this week in El Diario/La Prensa.

Annie Correal

John Gorman from Brooklyn

The guest tipped her hand a couple of Times. 'We think of Bushwick as East Williamsburg'. No hun, YOU DO.
And no, the Census Bureau is NOT handing out fliers in the Starbucks in Bushwick because there IS no Starbucks in Brooklyn.

Marc from Brooklyn, thanks for posting some reality about Bushwick. Whatever happened last time is almost irrelevant. Bushwicks has changed completely by hipsters on the West and Mexicans everwhere else. But a core of older residents remain. Three different Bushwicks.

Mar. 16 2010 01:12 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

I lived in Bushwick from 1973 to 1994, and in neighboring Williamsburg to 2005. There are many illegal immigrants in Bushwick, and starting about 1990, the number of illegal subdivisions of apartment exploded, so assuming that a six-unit building is just that will likely overlook several apartments. Among those whose US residence is legal, however, there's a great deal of indifference within the community to things like the census. Crime is high, and "good citizenship" is a practically unknown concept there. Indeed, some census workers will fear entering some buildings or some blocks, as their reputations preceed them. As long as Bushwick is so populated it will remain a difficult place to count.

Mar. 15 2010 11:06 AM
Timothy Palmer from Manhattan

You briefly mentioned the trangent population in Bushwick and your guest responded with a similar pronunciation. Did you mean a transient population?

Mar. 15 2010 11:05 AM
Vinny_G from The Upper West Side of NYC

the 2000 census was a nuisance because they sent me a long form to fill out,,, and I didn't want to, so I tried to find a short form, but couldn't, the post office only had chinese forms so I filled it out in english and sent it in, I used an on-line sample to answer the questions, but I was annoyed at the lack of forms and the random extra scrutiny that was imposed on me

Mar. 15 2010 10:58 AM
GIllian

Peg (#1): these questions are now asked in the American Community Survey (not the Census).

Mar. 15 2010 10:52 AM
Sara

Brian, could you please speak about how illegal immigrants will NOT get in trouble by filling out a Census form? Even my friend who is going to be a Census taker told me that she is going to ignore any illegal immigrants who are hesitant to turn in their forms because she is worried about "turning them in."

Mar. 15 2010 10:50 AM
Peg from USA

Every census our family refuses to answer the race questions. (This year's questions 8 & 9). And every time, a census taker comes out to our home to get us to fill in this stupid question (I don't care if our founding fathers thought it was important). I argue and refuse again to identify myself this way and after about 10 or 15 minutes, the taker fills it in for me by just looking at me. The taker has never seen the rest of the household but I assume they fill in the same race they think I am.

I think income is a much more important question. After all, the smallest minority by income has the greatest amount of wealth. Is that why we don't tax them appropriately? - because they are a Minority?

Another important question that isn't asked is language. I think it's important to know how many people speak English, and what is (are) the language(s) they do speak?

Mar. 15 2010 07:25 AM