Atlantic Yards Ground Breaking

Friday, March 12, 2010

Contributing editor to the Manhattan Institute's City Journal and author of After the Fall: Saving Capitalism from Wall Street--and Washington weighs in on the Atlantic Yards development.

Broccoli Brucculu from Hell

Did Jay Z stab anyone?

Mar. 12 2010 11:59 AM
Sunshine Hernandez from Bushwick

I have to say that while I have been listening all these years about the Atlantic Yards project and particularly Bloomberg's speech yesterday, all that could come to mind is Israel's own handling of illegal property building and it's own justifications as to why. I think it's strange that we call ourselves the land of the free and have a constitution to prove it but will twist it any which way as 3rd world countries do to serve the government and politicians needs. But here we are preaching to them. It's a joke really- but hey we put Bloomberg in office right?

Mar. 12 2010 10:52 AM
DL from NYC

This is the most articulate argument I have heard against this type of eminent domain, analysis of development in NYC and understanding of the capability that the city and MTA have in intelligently investing in the future of New York City I've heard in current times. I do not consider myself conservative, but this is the Conservative viewpoint I could agree with and wish could hear more often in mainstream channels.

Mar. 12 2010 10:44 AM
SteveH from B'klyn

The sacred idol once again quoted once again on "Property Rights".
Thomas Jefferson,
the prominent "Slave Owner"

And the Morals of the story?

Mar. 12 2010 10:41 AM
Ellen from Brooklyn, NY

I strongly agree with what your guest is saying. I feel like so much of the community has spoken out about this project, and yet it's still happening!

Mar. 12 2010 10:41 AM
Susan from Kingston

The Commissioner of Planning, Amanda Burden, has always been very clear. She made a statement early in her tenure that she would like to look out across the East River and see the highrise luxury apartment buildings that line the waterways of Miami! It was war from then on with the people of Brooklyn.

Mar. 12 2010 10:39 AM
Mike from Atlanta, GA

Did she just say the best way to fix crime is better policing and criminal justice? I guess getting people out poverty, better education and other social programs were purposley left out becuase she is just another crazy and conservative.

These people only care about money and property and not people.

Mar. 12 2010 10:38 AM
hjs from 11211

the city must grow!

Mar. 12 2010 10:37 AM
nat from Brooklyn

Lets say that we actually did need a sports arena, AY is not a bad spot since its close to existing infrastructure.

However the biggest, and least talked about downfall about this project is the scaling back of actual rail yard redevelopment.

When is the MTA going to have another chance to expand the rail capacity of the Brooklyn LIRR hub to meet the demand of twenty years from now laid out in PlaNYC 2030? It will be harder and astronomically more expensive to build more track under a sports arena.

Furthermore, there's the issue of the "temporary surface parking" for the arena. Talk about blight - empty parking lots year round?

Mar. 12 2010 10:37 AM
Engie from brooklyn

I lived within blocks of the Atlantic Yards until recently. While I'm an across the board Dem, and while I feel that eminent domain has proven itself a dangerous tool for careless developers, I feel strongly that this project is for the best. The area around the yards is a wasteland- classic barren urban decay, dangerous at night and no chance of "organic" revitalization in sight. A big project such as this one is the only way enough money, energy and interest will be put towards the area to take it out of its dereliction.

Mar. 12 2010 10:37 AM
Tony from Santa Clara, CA

After winning their court case, Pfizer stayed in New London for a little while, but they have now left.

Mar. 12 2010 10:35 AM
Tony from Santa Clara, CA

Mar. 12 2010 10:35 AM
Susan from Kingston

Works for whom?

Mar. 12 2010 10:34 AM
Billy Gray from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

I'm a leftist, and I'm totally opposed to the Atlantic Yards project.

There's no reason to subsidize stadium projects, especially given that we are stealing money from the MTA's budget for Albany's budget. Not to mention that these projects don't work the way they are alleged to, ever. The new Yankee stadium is another grand example of the promises of jobs that aren't going to appear, despite all the expense of public money.

I like the speaker's idea -- our government should invest in the actual infrastructure of our crumbling city instead of serving as an enforcer of income transfer from the powerless to the powerful.

Mar. 12 2010 10:33 AM
antonio from park slope

This analysis is an example of how we should look at politics in the future; just plain common sense. Labeling perspectives left, right is pure subterfuge!

Mar. 12 2010 10:32 AM
Robert from Park Slope

Atlantic Yards will be the 21st century's Grand Concourse.

Mar. 12 2010 10:31 AM
mouce

Not sure if Marty is the, um, sex worker, and Bruce is the john, or if it's the other way around.

Mar. 12 2010 10:29 AM