The Story of Stuff

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

In her new book The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession With Stuff Is Trashing The Planet, Our Communities, And Our Health - And A Vision For Change, author Annie Leonard connects the stuff you consume with everything and everyone that made it and will be stuck with it when you're done.

The book about the Story of Stuff rose out of a web video with the same name. Watch it here:

Annie Leonard

Gene

Ever notice that the people with no real factual rebuttal--and usually a dearth of experience--can do nothing but call everyone names?

Mar. 11 2010 09:47 PM
Peg

To Edlin #12. I wonder if you're cynical about everything? Thanks for the bucket of ice cold H2O. Happy now?

(Hope you have good trash removal in your neighborhood!)

Mar. 10 2010 07:14 AM
eb from Brooklyn

I've already read much of the book--bought it last night after hearing Annie at the 92nd St Y and have been sitting her reading all morning instead of doing my work--it is the single best book on our consumerist society and economic model that I have read! Anyone who likes the film and hearing Annie on shows like this one--great interview, Brian!--should buy it. To support her--and the ideas it contains.

Mar. 09 2010 12:07 PM
Phil Henshaw from ny ny

Annie,
I think it's right on line with the approach you take, just a little more specific. I really like your "coming together... for a common purpose" idea for example.

Have a look at "What to do", for the next slightly more particular and rigorous explanation of the same approach.

Mar. 09 2010 12:04 PM
JP from NJ

Everybody should take a materials and process class, especially environmentalists. All would be surprised of some things you think are good are bad and what you think is bad is good when it comes to raw materials used, process, amount of fuel used to transport and what to recycle. For example, sending paper to China to be recycled, bad, very bad...

Mar. 09 2010 12:01 PM
DL from NYC

somebody needs to get some WD40 for that chair.

Mar. 09 2010 12:00 PM
Meryl from Brooklyn NY

Why is it that no one on this show has spoken about the effect of population control on the environemnt and the planet? Why not think about not having more than 2 chidlren or God forbid no having any at all? or adopting one who needs a home? Population control is the single most effective thing that any one can do to change the downward projectory of this planet.

Mar. 09 2010 12:00 PM
ted from manhattan

see new yorker march 15 talk of town page 22, new math article about stuff

also about 10% campaign

Mar. 09 2010 11:59 AM
hjs from 11211

so humans die off (or the numbers fall) and the planet is saved

Mar. 09 2010 11:55 AM
mary p from downtowm

This makes me so angry and depressed:

Marie Callender's and Healthy Choice (aka ConAgra) foods is hawking one dish one serving pasta meals that come in plastic and both a heavy top and bottom lid and a steamer/trainer lid. It costs 4.95 and contains 6.95 oz and feeds one person. Use it one, throw it away let it live for 140,000 years in the landfill.

For 4.95 you could buy a pound of pasta n 100% recyclable cardboard boxes and cans of tomatoes and feed 6 people for less money. and recycle EVERYTHING.

Mar. 09 2010 11:53 AM
jeff pappas from Ct.

Yes too much Plastic kids toys ! My friends who have young children have hundreds of toys, some are large toy cupboards and toy doll houses, All Plastic. They also are scattered throughout the house, even though there is a basement Playroom. When I grew up we had a few well made toys and we were very creative on setting up play by ourselves, in the play area or our rooms.
Can anyone wonder why attention deficit disorder is on the rise!

Mar. 09 2010 11:07 AM
ted from manhattan

i love her work. i have used her video in my classes for years. the conversation about "stuff" is vital and the result as small as it may be has been to get many of my students to carry their own bags when shopping and to understand more clearly about recycling and how our "stuff" is a problem.

thanks, annie.

cheers, ted

Mar. 09 2010 09:23 AM
Peg

I remember when I watched the youtube video "Story of Stuff" a few years ago. It made such an impact on my family, that emailed the link to everyone I knew. Now I see that there's a whole "Story of Stuff" website: http://www.storyofstuff.com/

We are drowning in all this "Stuff"! - plastic containers and wrappers on everything, infinite electronic devices (which must be replaced by the latest and the greatest), too many clothes, sneakers, batteries, cigarette lighters and disposable baby diapers... and on and on and on.

Thank you Annie Leonard for putting this all together for us. But really the challenge is, how do we stop it? Many of the people I sent the video link were outraged about the information. Their lives were so wrapped around their acquisitions and showing them off that they had no interest in the message.

Mar. 09 2010 07:30 AM