Oscar Film Series: Food, Inc.

Thursday, March 04, 2010

As we continue to spotlight some of the lesser-known films nominated for Academy Awards this year, Eric Schlosser, author of Fast Food Nation and co-producer of Food, Inc. discusses the Best Documentary Feature nominated film.

Eric Schlosser
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Sue

Harry Reid democrat congressman gets huge amounts of money from Monsanto. He is very cozy w/ them. Not to say Repubs aren't just as guilty of turning a blind eye. They are all more interested in getting re-elected than in protecting their constituents.

Apr. 22 2010 11:57 AM
JK from Midtown

last time i checked, food inc was available for free streaming on netflix watch instantly.

Mar. 04 2010 11:57 AM
Tatiana

Does anyone know if kosher meat is produced from 'farms' like these?

What is a cow meant for kosher distribution fed - the same corn based diet as the rest of the industry?

Mar. 04 2010 11:52 AM
RCT from NYC

John (10) -- You can rent and download it from Amazon's "Video on the Demand." Here's the link to "Food, Inc.":

Mar. 04 2010 11:47 AM
RCT from NYC

Here's the link to "Millions against Monsanto." And check your tofu to see if it's made from non-genetically engineered soybeans.

Mar. 04 2010 11:45 AM
John from Staten Island

Can you mention tomorrow if any of these documentaries are currently in theaters?

Mar. 04 2010 11:45 AM
hjs from 11211

mike 6
money !

Mar. 04 2010 11:42 AM
JK from Midtown

what the heck has the republican party done for americans thats benefited actual americans (not corporations) in the past 20 years? its amazing they still exist.

Mar. 04 2010 11:42 AM
EL

I saw this film recently and whilst I had an understanding on some of the issues it raised..my eyes were opened .. Mike #5.. you are so right about Monsanto!

Mar. 04 2010 11:42 AM
Mike

How does Monsanto have such a huge influence in our Government?

Mar. 04 2010 11:39 AM
Mike

Monsanto is the evilest company in the world today and for some reason they have such a huge influence in the Government.

Mar. 04 2010 11:37 AM
Mike

It was a great film. They should do a huge 12 part series for PBS or something, focusing on more aspects.

Didn't even touch on meat rendering, and poisons going killing pets converted into meat bone product and entering the food chain.

Mar. 04 2010 11:36 AM
RCT from NYC

Amazing film. I recommended it last semester to my literary theory students -- we were studying semiotics and I'd brought in some "fast food" ads for them to "deconstruct" -- one student came up to me a week later to say that she'd downloaded the movie, watched it, and was telling all her friends to do the same.

Hope it goes viral, Eric. Great work. I've been checking labels for non-Monsanto soy every since, and found a website "Boycott Monsanto" that provides a list of products made by that company and its subsidiaries.

Mar. 04 2010 11:34 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

I went to see Food Inc. in the theater, and unfortunately, it left me a little cold. I think, for its content, it’s a documentary every American should see, but it looked like it was cobbled together from other documentaries I had already seen like King Corn and another I can’t recall at the moment I saw on IFC.
Why was so much of the content recycled from other documentaries?

Mar. 04 2010 11:26 AM
sr from NJ

Hi Brian, this is with reference to yesterday's segment, Burma VJ. the word 'Junta' has its roots in Sanskrit. In Sanskrit, the word, 'Jan'/'Jun' is for 'people' or 'the masses', and hence the ward 'junta' should be pronounced not with an 'H' as in a Spanish world, but as 'J' as in English(English is a distant cousin to Sanskrit) 'jug'.
please please i beg you to make this conscious change.

Mar. 04 2010 08:28 AM