Inspector Gadget: Over-Deviced

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Today kicks of a month-long series with tech guru Peter Rojas, founder of gdgt, Engadget and Gizmodo.

Today's Topic: Gadget Proliferation. Are you one of those people who carries a phone, music player, camera and PDA? What ever happened to the dream of one universal device anyway? Comment below!

Peter Rojas

perri

Totally under-deviced.

But, I can't leave home without my DAP (I refuse to call it an iPod). And I often neglect to check my phone for messages--I'm just not that into it.

Whenever I get off the train I'm always amazed at all the people transfixed by their smart phones and PDAs. They slow down the flow of movement while exiting the subway.

Mar. 04 2010 11:57 AM
KZ from New York

What I find so annoying about this topic is that I see these screen addicts texting and I don't know what all in cars and walking along the street.

Mar. 04 2010 10:53 AM
mother from BKLYN

They make great chargers that cost like $15 and then all tips cost about $10 for each devices (igo).

I charge my ipod, my phone, hubby's blackberry all with one small plug. Great for traveling.

Mar. 04 2010 10:52 AM
KZ from New York

@Zach--We have the legacy of competing cell companies working against the best interest of customers. There are lots of things that cell phones could do (such as let you know how many minutes you have left for the month), but cell phone companies have blocked them. Same goes for the swappable SIM card issue.

Mar. 04 2010 10:52 AM
phoooey from

so many sour commenters

Mar. 04 2010 10:52 AM
Robert Galli from Edison, NJ

Re: carrying several chargers - igo (carried by RadioShack) and perhaps other devices use one 'charger' with exchangeable tips for myriad dvices - I've had one for years - both wall plug-in and auto 'cigarette lighter' cords. Also, more and more devices, as mentioned, recharge through a mini-USB apparatus.
R. Galli
Edison, NJ

Mar. 04 2010 10:50 AM
superf88 from

Universal Wireless Charger:

Magic Pad.

On sale now.

Mar. 04 2010 10:50 AM
James from Stamford

Boo-hoo-hoo.. I have more technology in my pocket than exists in most African villages. I'm so put-upon. Please, people... Nobody is putting a gun to your heads to use your iPhone.

Mar. 04 2010 10:49 AM
John from Jersey City

Lately, I walk around with a netbook, an ebook reader, a digital camera, a cell phone, and USB memory stick.

10 years ago, I was walking around with a notepad, a book, a camera and a pager.

What's the difference? :) A tool is a tool is a tool, regardless of whether it uses batteries.

Mar. 04 2010 10:48 AM
Amy from Manhattan

"Early *adapter*"? Is that different from early adopter? Does the caller actually make adaptations to his devices? I doubt it, but that could be interesting....

Mar. 04 2010 10:48 AM
the truth! from BKNY

I am "over deviced" and proud of it! lol

Mar. 04 2010 10:47 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn, NY

I have a super-cool GPS: it's called a map!
Easy to read, crumples up small, or opens large, and doesn't give you eye-strain.

Mar. 04 2010 10:47 AM
Alan from New York

Doug in Rye: "So I'm what you'd call an early adapter."

So?

Mar. 04 2010 10:46 AM
Andy from Washington Township, NJ

I cringe at the prospect of the iPad and all the conspicuous consumption that will come from it. Consumers can achieve the same functionality with a laptop or an iPhone but our persistent requirement for convenience will probably make iPad a hit. One more device added to the fold.

Mar. 04 2010 10:45 AM
frank Weikman from Farmingdale

was Peter's 5th gadget named Tidbit? What is that?

Mar. 04 2010 10:44 AM
Felix Alvarez from Bronx

Robert Heinlein wrote about a cell phone install in the brain. Is this the future?

Mar. 04 2010 10:44 AM
Drew

Don't sleep on the Palm Pre! It rolls bones on the iphone and nexus. Tales of Palms demise are greatly exaggerated!

Mar. 04 2010 10:44 AM
J reilly from Bellmore LI

I drive a 67 Buick. I play an acoustic guitar and the only phone in my house is attached to the wall and has a rotary dial. So there.

Mar. 04 2010 10:43 AM
Fisk from

Got it.

Mar. 04 2010 10:43 AM
Merrill from NY, NY

I like having a separate palm and phone. I know the trend is to combine but it is pain to look for info while speaking.

Another note: Lots of gadget: a male thing and I am a man.

Mar. 04 2010 10:43 AM
Shelli from Brooklyn

I still have a pda, though I think they're going to to the way of the dodo. I just can't, as you said, put all of my eggs into one basket. I like to keep my address book separate from my cell phone. I don't even like using the cell phone & I still have a land line. But then, I'm not a 20-something!

Mar. 04 2010 10:43 AM
Darrell from 34th St

Talk about function fatigue! I went from having a Blackberry strapped to my head to being semi employed with a Jitterbug now. Also I lost my G1 and I am switching to an Archos Internet tablet because theres no monthly charges over my my verizon wifi plan.

Mar. 04 2010 10:43 AM
adsf from

Well, they HAVE come out with ONE charger for all these gadgets...and that's something!

Mar. 04 2010 10:42 AM
kadidal from New York City

I like to separate my music player and cell phone. I don't like the idea that listening to music can drain the battery from my cellphone.

Mar. 04 2010 10:42 AM
hjs from 11211

here's a shout out to all the luddites who reject this craze. I don't even own a cell phone and I've never missed it!

Mar. 04 2010 10:41 AM
Tracy from NYC

I wish I could have everything on one device, but my employer provided a Blackberry and I still want my privacy, so I have my own personal phone too. Consolidating down to 2 devices is the best I can do.

Mar. 04 2010 10:41 AM
ericf

if we're carrying more gadgets are we actually carrying more stuff?

that is, are we just replacing traditional things like daybooks and cameras with digital versions of the same thing?

Mar. 04 2010 10:40 AM
hjs from 11211

Mar. 04 2010 10:40 AM
downtown

I won't put everything on one device. In the past I have separately had stolen/lost one of my devices (PDA, Mobile Phone). If everything was on just one device, then I would have lost everything. Redundancy can be a good thing.
I don't want my data "in the cloud."

Mar. 04 2010 10:40 AM
Amy from Manhattan

To paraphrase "Hotel California":

We are all just prisoners here
Of our own devices!

Mar. 04 2010 10:40 AM
Alan from New York

Why are so many young people now beginning their sentences with the word "so"?

Brian Lehrer: How many digital devices do you carry, Peter?

Peter Rojas: So......

Mar. 04 2010 10:38 AM
ericf

multiple gadgets? not a huge problem.

multiple batteries and chagers? royal pain.

Mar. 04 2010 10:38 AM
gpser from

actually enjoy the gps on verizon cell phone but they only work where there is digital service...but not much help when you're semi-lost hiking (as i found out recently in puget sound's olympic park!) also useless in nyc, i think b/c of the buildings.

Mar. 04 2010 10:38 AM
KC from Wayne, NJ

Maybe Peter will answer Zach's question about cell phones and wifi. My guess would be that it is an issue of money.

Mar. 04 2010 10:34 AM
adsf

hey zach/1 -- they will come out with all the things you mention the day people stop buying the downgraded shlock that the marketplace already accepts.

Mar. 04 2010 09:47 AM
superf88

I actually once had a so dream device. It had everything, from a cell phone that worked as good as a land line, a first rate camera and video, music player, ezpass, even a translator. It could find my keys and clean the floor. But I lost it.

Darn!

Mar. 04 2010 09:44 AM
zach from brooklyn

Outside of the US, SIM cards are universal. Travel to a new country, buy a new SIM card (usually about $5) and you have a local phone number. At Heathrow they come out of a vending machine. Why do so few American phones take SIM cards? Why do so few netbooks and notebooks have SIM card slots?

On the flipside, why do so few cell phones work on wifi? Some of my friends have to call me from skype from their computer because they get such poor cell phone reception in their NYC apartments!

Mar. 04 2010 03:46 AM