Help Wanted: What to Wear?

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Senior fashion editor for AOL's StyleList.com, Sarah Cristobal, answers those irksome office fashion questions to help you look great for your next job interview.

Sarah Cristobal

Amy from Manhattan

And the references to "statement necklaces" remind me of Madeleine Albright's "pin diplomacy." Albright wore jewelry pins that were relevant to the politics of the meetings she went to; job seekers could wear pins or tie clips relevant to the type of work they do or to what the company they're applying to does. For example, I'm an editor, & I sometimes wear a stickpin shaped like the nib of a pen, complete w/"ink" on the point. Another reason not to dress too casually for an interview!

Mar. 07 2010 12:48 PM
Ben Goldfarb

Did anyone ask AOL who their advertisers, clients, or business
partners are before doing this piece? Hearing Ms. Cristobal recommend
Gap and J. Crew clothing felt like product placement. I couldn't dig
up anything specific on the companies' relationships. But there is a
feature on J. Crew on the StyleList homepage (which I'm sure is a paid
spot), and J. Crew sells on AOL Shopping, which is reason enough to
cry foul. Recently, there have been a few pieces on WNYC about the TV
pundits, and their undisclosed financial interests. Isn't this similar?

Mar. 03 2010 04:22 PM
Jim Warwick from Long Island

Since I am the one that set off this conversation (thanks Brian). Trust me, when all these guys and girls look back at photos of themselves in today's casual dress, I believe they will feel the same as I do looking back to my prom night outfit.

Mar. 02 2010 04:16 PM
Jessica

Is it ok to wear lilac nail polish to an interview at management level?

Mar. 02 2010 01:56 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Hope you're still taking comments here--I'm not on Facebook.

I'm a freelancer who sometimes goes in to work in a client's office without having had an in-person interview. I finally started just asking ahead of time what the level of dress was in the office (also the temperature!) so I'd have some idea how to dress. For most interviews, though, it's probably a good idea to dress a little higher than that level. One tip: you can wear a jacket over something more casual so you have the option of taking it off if it make you overdressed.

As for shoes, I'm all for sneakers. If a place isn't casual enough for that, you can always bring some nicer shoes & change when you get there.

Mar. 02 2010 12:46 PM
BL Help Wanted from Varick St. Studios

Great advice and good questions here--thanks! We're moving them to our Facebook page so others can jump in on the conversation. Feel free to join us.

Mar. 02 2010 11:02 AM
Marie Gentile from Bellerose, LI

"Dress poorly and people notice the dress. Dress well and people notice the woman." Coco Chanel. Words to live by. As a marketing communications professional who has coached a lot of people for TV interviews - first rule is never wear anything that detracts from YOU.

Mar. 02 2010 11:00 AM
hjs from 11211

sarah

google it !

Mar. 02 2010 10:59 AM
Jane from manhattan

Brian, did you REALLY just say you looked in the mirror and felt GOWTCH? (GOWCH?) Were you serious? Please say it was was a joke. Jane

Mar. 02 2010 10:56 AM
Zahara from Union City

I began working for a technology company recently. My first day of work, I wore a suit while majority of people in the office were in T-shirts and sneakers. I was so over dressed- I felt like a freak. I must say, I have been wearing sneakers and causal cloths almost everyday at wrok and it feels great.

Mar. 02 2010 10:51 AM
Sarah from Brooklyn

Can you post a picture of a statement necklace?

Mar. 02 2010 10:48 AM
Karen from South Harlem

What about keeping my gray hair? Increasingly, my prospective employers will be younger than I am. Let's say I'm going for a mid-level job. I don't mind being a chameleon but my comfort zone is _not_ to fake my age.

Mar. 02 2010 10:45 AM
Don Harjes from Flemington NJ

Make sure you don't over do the perfume. We didn't hire an applicant because she knocked us over.

Mar. 02 2010 10:45 AM
Tom from Upper West Side

Men's shoes should be shined!

Mar. 02 2010 10:44 AM
Alyson from Manhattan

What about small private companies, that are not branded or branded well? A company that you can not google. Should you go traditional?

Mar. 02 2010 10:43 AM
Tony from Santa Clara, CA

Here, when I interview people I only ask them math questions... The idea that how you dress matters is gone, at least here.

Either you remember what you studied in college or you don't.

Mar. 02 2010 10:38 AM