Re-Imagining Black History

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In her young adult novel A Wish After Midnight, Zetta Elliott examines the African American experience in Civil War-era Brooklyn through the eyes of a contemporary girl. And she explores how our understanding of history is shaped by interpretation, memory and place.

Zetta Elliott

Marvin Broome from NOLA

Because cultures evolve and language change, Black folks are no longer referred to as Afro Americans or even colored. Yes, mulatto is no longer appropriate; however, what name you answer to is your business.

Feb. 24 2010 05:01 PM
john from office

Truth, name one well run black country??

Feb. 24 2010 04:05 PM
doh

What is wrong with saying Mulatto...is that politically incorrect now?

Feb. 24 2010 02:27 PM
the truth!! from BKNY

Every February people get to re-open the wound of slavery that story that we all know so well. If that's all you got I think we can do without the 28-29 day trip down memory lane. Think I will start a petition toward that end.

Feb. 24 2010 01:43 PM
Zetta Elliott from Brooklyn

Beatrice, I'm not aware of time-travel stories for younger readers, but you might try asking Charlotte--here's her blog address:

Adrienne--literature is for everyone, and I certainly enjoyed reading Dickens and CS Lewis and Jane Austen when I was young. But children also deserve to find mirrors in their books, and ultimately everyone needs a good balance in the books they consume--you should be able to learn about others but also to learn about yourself.

RS King--I'm working on the sequel to AWAM, Judah's Tale...and I have an award-winning picture book, Bird, and several other books for adults. Speculative fiction allows me to play with the historical facts and not be bound to them.

And for the other commenters, let's just agree that there isn't one, single black experience--and that's why we need more stories to tell about our varied realities.

Feb. 24 2010 01:16 PM
the truth!! from BKNY

Poor confused john, full of stereotypes and refuses to learn so thusly...you are now invisible

Feb. 24 2010 12:25 PM
john from office

I am dominican/american, born on the same island as haiti, born on the island.

And there is a problem in the black community, that is not faced. Keep watching BET and Tyler Perry movies, the height of black culture.

Feb. 24 2010 11:43 AM
hjs from 11211

john from office
3 weeks ago u said u were haitian!

Feb. 24 2010 11:33 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

No I never heard that one but I am sure there are a million of others I have never heard either.

So maybe you can speak to the hispanic experience but don't attempt to speak for the Black Community, because that was not my experience. You should try to get beyond what your mom and dad taught you and observe your surroundings, approach a few Black people with that lovely tidbit and see what the response is that you receive, educate yourself, please.

Feb. 24 2010 11:31 AM
john from office

Truth, I grew up hispanic in a hispanic area, it was not cool to be smart and speak well. I experienced it. There is an anti intellectual trend in black culture, it is not cool to be smart. Admit it. Remember, he think he white!I am sure you heard that one

Feb. 24 2010 11:12 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

For those who are not aware, like JOHN, literature of all types, is read and enjoyed by the majority of the Black Community. Stop the ignorant stereotyping.

Feb. 24 2010 11:05 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

John FYI grand sweeping statements like that make you sound ignorant..and shocker not all Black Americans are interested in living arm in arm with whites.

Feb. 24 2010 11:03 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

I am sure your intentions are good however, I will read the book to be sure but, slavery north or south and the civil war era always seem to be the topics for discussion and they are not the only aspects of Black History and now in fantasy? If you really want to celebrate and embrace Black History what about the heroes and heroins who helped to build this Nation?

System people I am having problems submitting my comments!

Feb. 24 2010 11:02 AM
john from office

Therre is a trend in the black community against intellect, it is not cool and viewed as white behavior.

Black history is American history, I thought the idea was to not live seperate.

Feb. 24 2010 10:59 AM
adrienne from NYC

All literature is for Black kids, Jane Austin or James Baldwin or Saul Bellow. we all have to learn how to read literature closely, so other worlds can open to all of us.

Feb. 24 2010 10:59 AM
RS King from Washington DC

How much of the book is fact and how much fiction? What kind of research did she do on the subject matter?
Also, what is her next project and does she have any other books?

Feb. 24 2010 10:59 AM
Beatrice from Manhattan

Does the author know of any similar books for younger kids?

Feb. 24 2010 10:58 AM