Help Wanted: Meet Jim

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day Five of Help Wanted, The Brian Lehrer Show’s new project in which five job hunters report on the ups and downs of looking for work, introduces Jim who started and sold his own online advertising business and is looking for a new opportunity.

Jim

md abdur rashid

I am an practicing lawer in my country in bangladesh, I have four years honours in law and one year masters in law, in my university in bangladesh, I have also done paralegal in u.s.a. I want to go to school to be a lawer here,I dont know how can I start. I have my wife and a child of three years, I must have to work to feed my family, now I am a taxi driver, but I can't think I'm not in that profession where I spent 5 years of my life, please give me a sugession,I need a job in my related field at least.

Apr. 16 2010 11:21 PM
Jim Warwick from Long Island

TO all, this is Jim, I want to thank you so much for your thoughts. Just so you know, I have done almost everything that has been suggested. In fact, I have reinvented myself completely for 4 different industries to get the job. I think there are bigger issues here than my abilities. Tao has the right picture for me. However, pursuing all of the ideas one by one as an "experiment" and writing about it, might be very interesting.

Mar. 09 2010 04:27 PM
jen from Brooklyn

Hi Lisa,

I don't think your résumé is so dead, you can put your job from November on it. It is a job you held even though things didn't work out.

And like my suggestion to Jim, have you thought about contacting law firms or other companies regardless of job openings? You may want to visit the Business Library in Midtown and ask a reference librarian if there's a database of law firms in NY (if not, use the Yellow Pages). And using that information, you can reach out to any firm who interests you.

Good luck!

Feb. 17 2010 08:19 PM
jen from Brooklyn

Hello Jim:

Not sure if you've tried this already but I find that contacting a company which is NOT advertising a job opening works out really well.

To find the potential hiring manager (NOT HR), you can use Linked In or something like that. Most people are open to job inquiries, some are not.

Having done the research about the company and about the hiring manager's dept, you can tailor your résumé and portfolio to that company/hiring manager.

I've done this and it works.

Good luck!

P.S. Since you're looking for a job, it might be a good idea to down play your experience as a business owner and play up your transferable skills.

Feb. 17 2010 07:54 PM
Tao Moran from Bronx

As a former business owner, Jim needs only to reinvent himself and find what services he has that online technology companies need and package that and sell it to those companies. As a consultant/ project manager he would make more per project/hour to compensate for the lack of benefits. Another option is to go through temp agencies that can pair him with short and long-term projects. I think knocking on doors online is not the way to go given his experience.

Feb. 17 2010 03:00 PM
Kevin from Brooklyn

Sending out 5000 resumes does not necessarily constitute a strategic job search. If you are an experienced person then target each resume and (at the very least) each cover letter specifically to jobs where your experience fits. Also, when you see a job at a company you know, stretch your memory to people you may know or have worked at that company, and through them try to be put in touch with the person who is hiring for the position you are interested in, rather than just the company's "HR Generalist." This has worked for me to get interviews. It is true I have yet to be hired, but this way I have established visibility and possibility.

Feb. 17 2010 12:18 PM
Annie Shreffler from WNYC

Glen, Lisa & Tobi: thanks for your thoughtful comments above. I'm copying them over to our Help Wanted page for the benefit of Jim and our 225 fans! Here's the link:

Feb. 17 2010 12:17 PM
Tobi from Merrick, NY

A thought for Jim about interview attire:

I am a 32 year old web design consultant working with a wide variety of clients in many different work environments. I continuously adjust my clothing to suit the working environment I'm entering.

Not everyone is causal. You have to be a bit of a chameleon.

I wear a suit to present a digital research strategy to upper management at a big bank's headquarters.

I wear a new and fashionable dress to present "cool, new" design ideas to a big fashion magazine.

If you're at a loss, ask the recruiter what to wear or what the atmosphere is in the office.

Feb. 17 2010 11:46 AM
Lisa from NYC - Washington Heights

I've been mostly unemployed now since Oct. 2008. {I did find a job in November, however, ended up being burned via Craigslist - it ended up being a very shady law firm, small business.} I'm totally discouraged and even hesitant about sending my resume out with such a vast gap. I did some volunteer work for several months in '09 but otherwise, I have a dead resume. I'm a former paralegal / legal admin. I've looked extensively outside of legal.

I can't afford to go back to school.

Feb. 17 2010 11:35 AM
Glenn from Queens

Everyone KNOWs that sending resumes into the "Black hole" is NOT the way to go - it is networking and meeting people... it's a numbers game!

Feb. 17 2010 11:34 AM
BL Moderator from Varick St. Studios

[[We welcome comments here, but encourage you to visit the Help Wanted facebook home page and add your thoughts there. Click on the link above.

Thanks,