Help Wanted: Interview Strategies

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's the best way to make sure every interview counts? Scott Peek, principal photographer at scottpeekphotography, is a former corporate salesman who now volunteers his time at a career networking organization, coaching job seekers in interview techniques.

Scott Peek

Janet Barton

Great idea and creative opportunity to celebrate Presidential Inauguration 2013. As I do not have access to Twitter, I hope these lines will reach you. Thank you for the learning and fun your show (guests, themes and interactive initiates provide.
Best regards.
Janet Barton
Lines for Wikipoem "Pres-Poem:
"Walk roads not taken
raft Rivers of Doubt,
Breathe Lilacs last by the front porch blooming,
Hear ravens hushed by star-silver, gold moonlight
Brush fresh leaves of grass
Craft new Patterns
Build new rooms.

with apologiest to Robert Frost, Teddy Roosevelt, Carl Sandburg and Abraham Lincoln,
Amy Lowell, and most of all, the creativity of the WNYC community of presenters and listeners.

Fondly, Janet Barton (my husband Tony and I are of course, devoted WNYC members and contributors. A day without you is not only without sunshine, but nutrition for mind, heart and soul.

Jan. 17 2013 07:02 PM
Scott Peek

Just posted a summary of the steps for the Two Minute Verbal Resume on the Help Wanted Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/BL.HelpWanted?v=app_2373072738

Feb. 16 2010 02:29 PM
Daniel from Munich

I'm curious: what does your guest think are the good questions that the _interviewer_ should ask?

Feb. 16 2010 11:47 AM
Dawn from Brooklyn, NY

My question is always can you better relate these tips to those in creative fields? I have never worked for a profit center but for "creative services" departments, so I don't have the usual 'accomplishments' that translate into profits or money savings, which is I think the point, that 'value' you mention I might bring to the next organization... of course I do bring savings in terms of my experience steering clear of costly mistakes. When I put more traditional-sounding phrases like "cost savings" I ended up getting spammed for "financial analyst" positions... I'm a graphic artist in print.

Feb. 16 2010 11:44 AM
mw from brooklyn

I'm sorry but I've interviewed people for jobs before and the hand written thank you note seems so transparently like something taken out of a "how to succeed at job interviews" formula that it has sometimes come across as a bit desperate. Plain and simple if they didn't have the exact skills I needed and a personality I thought I would want to work closely with day in and day out, nothing NOTHING else really registered.

Feb. 16 2010 11:44 AM
Evelyn from Jersey City, NJ

Ask each interviewer for her/his business card, so that you know how to spell name, and other relevant info for thank yous.

Feb. 16 2010 11:42 AM
David Hodgson from nyc

Scott is one of the few people who I've heard who is clear and concise about how to promote oneself without being patronizing or overly optimistic. Please could he become a regular.

Feb. 16 2010 11:42 AM
CJ from NY

Not everyone has or wants an FB page.

Feb. 16 2010 11:42 AM
Laura from Manhattan

please review the outline of the 2 minute answer one last time.

Feb. 16 2010 11:41 AM
Merrill Clark from NY, NY

How about an example of the comment after the 2 minute resume.

Feb. 16 2010 11:40 AM
BL Moderator from Varick St. Studios

[[We welcome comments here, but encourage you to visit the Help Wanted facebook home page and add your thoughts there. Click on the link above.
Thanks,