Stimulus Check-In: Minority Business

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of the stimulus bill. Bettina Damiani, Project Director for Good Jobs New York, and Angela Glover Blackwell, founder and CEO of PolicyLink, discuss the impact of the stimulus on low-income communities, and grade New York on how effective the state has been at getting contracts to minority contractors.

Angela Glover Blackwell and Bettina Damiani

R Nicholl from Armidale

Where did all your tax dollars go under George W.? Until you can answer this your not going to recover your national debt...

Feb. 23 2010 02:37 AM
Edward J. Resner from United States

where is the map that was just shown on TV. It was suppose to show the States that has received the most funds.

Feb. 17 2010 07:59 PM
David from Great Neck

Stimulus directly helped New Yorkers receiving unemployment compensation because helped extend benefits from the original 26 to 52 to nearly 100. That was a tremendous help to the NYS treasury.

Feb. 16 2010 11:34 AM
john from office

Because she does nott care about those groups not mentioned.

Feb. 16 2010 11:29 AM
Rick from NY, NY

The stimulus has not created a clear job track for grads pursuing green jobs. I've earned a master's of public administration with a focus on Smart Growth at Pace Univeristy, my peers and I still can't find a livable wage job related to our studies.

Feb. 16 2010 11:28 AM
Rick from Manhattan

I too am an employee of MSKCC but have to disagree with Jenn that benefits to our institution are not directly passed on to low-income communities.

Feb. 16 2010 11:28 AM
Bob from Manhattan

Sorry, I'm hearing the same shop-worn ideas and rhetoric regarding economic stimulus. It's not working . . . period.

Feb. 16 2010 11:23 AM
john from office

Can we stop using worn phrases like cummunities of Color or people of color.

Does that mean there are cummunities without color.

Feb. 16 2010 11:17 AM
jenn from Upper East Side

The increase in the NIH budget provided by the stimulus has been really critical for all biomedical-related sciences. I think a lot of jobs in New York universities are made possible by this increase. Not to mention the benefit to society from research conducted at institutions such as my place of employment, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

Feb. 16 2010 11:15 AM
Samantha from Kingsbridge

I got an email from NYSCA after the stimulus, saying they were expecting $400 million for arts organizations in NY. With a note from my boss to "keep an eye out" (like their e-mail said) for updates.

I wrote to NYSCA a couple of months later, they said there was still no news. I don't think there's fault with anyone, but just wondering where the disconnect on that was.

Feb. 16 2010 11:14 AM
Alex from Brooklyn

Stimulis is a political giveaway.
Not at all productive in the long run and very pricy to us now.

Feb. 16 2010 11:14 AM
Stephan Sas from East Village

How are Asian Americans and Native Americans affected? Yet again these two vulnereable populations are not counted in a discussion on "minority" and people of color issues.

Feb. 16 2010 11:14 AM