Morgenthau's Exit Interview

Monday, February 15, 2010

Former Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau looks back on 34 years in office, and weighs in on the debate surrounding the trial of 9/11 suspect Khalid Shaikh Mohammed; and discusses a “friend of the court” brief he recently signed, backed by 62 prosecutors who are calling for more funding for indigent defendants.

Robert Morgenthau

R.G. Frano, A-EMT-4-Paramedic, ACLS from Jersey City, NJ

Two comments: 1.) I listened to the interview w/ the retired D.A.; I didn't hear any Q's asked about Mr. Morgenthau's going to work as a defense attorney for the white collar criminals he is so proud of (occasionally) incarcerating...

2.) On the 'NY Jobs going unfilled' segement: I am a '96 graduate of Chubb Institute, ('computer tech. spt.'), a graduate of Northeastern University, ('A-EMT-4-P', with 'ACLS' credential!), and I have 32 commendations from my 10 years w/ the NYC 911 system...
I am located 8 minutes, by slkow walk, from PATH;
The ONLY replys I get to e/ma resumes is from online 'money launderers' who claim I can take a 'cut' out of the money orders I'll cash for them, AFTER I tell THEM my bank accnt. and Ssn#'s!
Is it a felony (now) for a college-graduated American to apply for F/t employment?
...One would think so! I'd be glad to "show them my papers" but...no one seems to be interested in my papers!

Feb. 15 2010 12:04 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Would it be possible in high-security cases to bring all the people who need to interview the defendants or fingerprint them, etc., to 1 location? Would that make it unnecessary to transport prisoners & thus reduce the size of the area that needed to be blocked off?

And why is this system so cumbersome in the 1st place? Are there ways it could be streamlined for all cases, not just the ones that require high security?

Feb. 15 2010 11:25 AM
Janet Jaidi from Bronxville, NY

The Twin Towers were not chosen for publicity - they were chosen because they were seen as the seat of American financial power, just as the Pentagon was chosen for being the center of our military power.

I think the trial should be held in NY but not in the middle of Manhattan, just because of the logistics and
the turmoil it would cause for New Yorkers. I think
Rikers Island might be a good place - they should certainly have good security there- and it would keep the trial physically isolated from NYC citizens and commerce
while being accessible to the news media.

Feb. 15 2010 11:24 AM
Rick from Connecticut

Brian, ask him about the time in 1945 when he mixed drinks for President Roosevelt and Winston Churchill while they had a summit at the White house during WWII

Feb. 15 2010 11:17 AM
superf88

"Has the character of the New Yorker changed during your tenure? If so, how?"

Feb. 15 2010 09:53 AM
eva from california

I was absolutely riveted by hearing WNYC reporter Bob Hennelly (sp?) last year discuss a conversation he had with Bob Morgenthau.

Morgenthau told Hennelly that he had asked something like 10 consecutive Treasury Secretaries to help him shut down the offshore tax havens that allow people and orgs to evade taxes on very substantial earnings.

But each TS turned him down. After decades of this, Morgenthau said (per Hennelly's account) that he could only conclude that the reason why no treasury secretary would help him shut down/prosecute the offshore tax havens is because the TS is appointed by the POTUS, who in turn must be accountable to major donors... who benefit from offshore tax havens.

Can Morgenthau confirm this?

Feb. 15 2010 02:08 AM