Help Wanted: Greening Your Next Job

Friday, February 12, 2010

Steve Ritz, teacher at the Bronx's Discovery High School, talks about his work with some of the youngest green jobs trainees in the city.

Steve Ritz

David from Brooklyn

Steve Ritz said the students wouldn’t do installation seems ineffectual. Why certify students in that discipline, if they don’t do installations as well. That education must also include math and physics and architecture to assure the understanding of all the potential structural problems and resolutions. It must also include botany, horticulture and entomology, for insects are always a part of the equation. Then you will begin to speak about serious certification, which we have lost in the demise of our trade schools.

Feb. 12 2010 12:30 PM
Ell Lurie from Brooklyn

I just got BPI certified to do energy audits. I have been blitzing the internet with my new resume, applying for every green job that crawls, including job postings from NYSERDA, who certified me. I've gotten not one acknowledgement. I spoke to NYSERDA, and they said for every job there are hundreds of applicants.

The only job offers I've gotten are from contacts that I have met at conferences, that want my services for free or a nominal price, provided I have the equipment.
The equipment costs over $5000 . I'm unemployed, where am I going to get the money from?

Why can't the stimulus money give me a low interest loan to help me start my business, instead of funding my extended unemployment.

Feb. 12 2010 12:02 PM
Raya from Manhattan

Steve Ritz promised to give information about the up-coming training in Boston in his response to a caller, but he never did give that info...

Feb. 12 2010 12:00 PM
Cory from Washington Heights

What was the name of the sponsor for the training trip? Thanks.

Feb. 12 2010 12:00 PM
Tara from Midtown Manhattan

I'm curious about what some of the posters on here are asking. How complicated and expensive is the approval process? Let's hear a realistic answer to what sounds like a great revitalization program.

Feb. 12 2010 11:47 AM
Barry Rosen from NY

Dear Brian,

Regarding the green collar jobs, you should mention that there are many green collar jobs open at higher pay levels once you get a certification like LEED or work for one of the NGOs like Rainforest Alliance (right here in New York) that certify Green Products.
BNR

Feb. 12 2010 11:46 AM
Rachel Teplow from upper west side

I'm an architect and LEED AP and I just took a class at the Association for Energy Affordability about energy auditing. They are located in the South Bronx and might be a good group for you to work with. Their web site is:
www.aeanyc.org.

Feb. 12 2010 11:46 AM
Anne

As wonderful it is to want to install all these green walls and green roofs, just try going through the approval process!! I love your guest's positive attitude about all this but it's just not that easy.

Feb. 12 2010 11:42 AM
Kathleen McGovern from manhattan

High school students need to focus on math, physics, science in general to ensure they are prepared for the future and to compete with their peers around the globe.

Feb. 12 2010 11:42 AM
Joseph Cavalieri from East Village New York

The one thing that kept me from adding a green roof was the inspection. Before installing you need to know if your roof is strong enough to hold the weight. Doe any one know how much this step costs?

Feb. 12 2010 11:42 AM
Joe Corrao from Brooklyn

We don't need more government certification...let people do their own due diligence and let the market weed out poor quality...

Feb. 12 2010 11:40 AM
Jason Brotter from South Bronx

A group of us in the South Bronx have a location available for building a new green collar job vocational school. Much better location than Hunts Point. If Steve is interested in working with us, please call 646 251 2105.

Feb. 12 2010 11:39 AM