Toyota Recall Latest

Friday, February 05, 2010

Wall Street Journal reporter Kate Linebaugh talks about Toyota’s latest problems.

Kate Linebaugh
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

JK from Midtown

and at least toyota is holding themselves accountable. if this happened to ford or gm, the respective ceo would be blaming the economy or obama.

Feb. 05 2010 11:39 AM
JK from Midtown

is toyota the first and only car company to have had a major recall? i think if it was ford or chevy, this news is last weeks news. no matter what happens though, there is no way i will ever buy an american car. sorry.

Feb. 05 2010 11:37 AM
Phoebe from NJ

I drive a 2008 Prius, and the brakes do *appear* to disengage when you go over a pothole or drain grate; I put this down to the braking system and drive to accomodate this- although if there is a fix I'll take it.

Otherwise the car is fantastic! I hope Toyota sort these issues out, or the American companies get their act together and bring 50mpg+ cars to the market - they've spent enough time fighting against fuel efficiencies.

Feb. 05 2010 11:36 AM
anonymous

It is shady that Ford Hybrids have the same issue and none of the media coverage.

Feb. 05 2010 11:33 AM
The Truth!! from BKNY

I am just going to get out of the way of all toyota's period.

Feb. 05 2010 11:31 AM
LM from Long Island

What I am not seeing/hearing is adequate context. Take the issue of the Prius brakes. The story is framed as a problem with "the brakes". Buried in the story is the subtlety that the problem is the ABS system in certain circumstances and that the brakes will still work.

Feb. 05 2010 10:46 AM
Tony from Santa Clara, CA

There are two issues for me:

* While I do think there is a problem, how do we know it's not overblown? After all, the US government owns GM, so they have a monetary incentive to make Toyota look bad. Do we have information on this?

* Also, will the Toyota engineers get bonuses because they are so talented? After all, they killed fewer people than the bankers did (indirectly, but still killed)

Feb. 05 2010 10:27 AM
adsf from

LM -- obviously it depends on what the problems are and how Toyota deals with them. Do you feel sure that all the problems have been admitted, and dealt with?

As someone who doesn't drive a Toyota (I'm Subaru), what worried me the most was when the US "Car Czar" actually retracted his warning about driving Toyotas. It reminded me of Colin Powell up there at the UN arguing to bomb Iraq. Does Toyota have the Car Czar's family in some dungeon?

Feb. 05 2010 10:27 AM
LM from Long Island

I am sensing Xenophobic schadenfreude with the whole Toyota issue! Talk about overkill on coverage. I expect better from WNYC/NPR Yes Toyota have been a lttle slow in acting but they are acting.

Is it just me?

Feb. 05 2010 10:06 AM
superf88 from

Why isn't the connection being raised, if not by regulators then at least by the media, between Toyota's current problems and potential or current problems with US vehicles as well? The root of Toyota's problems, after all, very well might be industry-wide.

Toyota's accelerator pedal maker is based in Indiana (CTS) and also makes accelerators for US vehicles, all from their Canadian factory (does Toyota get a US "locally made" tax break for that?! Surely).

And Toyota's hybrid technology (which relates to the brake problem) is licensed to US and other automakers as well. (Toyota's patented fuel conservation technology have provided an income stream for years.)

While I personally have no idea about the link between Toyota's troubles and those of other autos, I certainly have not seen any scrutiny exerted toward this matter, and that seems to be an oversight. (I will say that CTS shares don't seem to have particularly suffered.)

Feb. 05 2010 09:45 AM
George from Bay Ridge

How does the recall affect Lexus and Scion cars?

Have any listeners encountered problems with braking?

Can we get a Toyota dealer on the air?

Feb. 05 2010 08:42 AM