Following Up: A Mistaken Quote; That New Device; and Multitasking

Friday, January 29, 2010

It's not just Friday, it's follow-up Friday. First, we correct a mis-attributed quote. Then, how people from around the country may pronounce the new Apple device. And, Winifred Gallagher, author of Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life, looks a little deeper into questions of multitasking and cognition. Is multitasking a zero-sum game where one task always detracts from another, or are there different types of tasks that require different levels of engagement?

Winifred Gallagher

debbie yorizzo

I wonder what is happening to our vision, and especially children's vision. Sure the brain can multi-task, but little muscles around the eye must be asked to work harder when faced in front of all this technology. Sure we are reading more, but the screens are getting smaller. To squint or not to squint? I guess that is the new question.

Jan. 29 2010 04:59 PM
Chris Negrin from Live on Wall st work in BB Heights

Good segment, i'm listening to your show, reading on the net, and working. well i'm not working too hard at the moment ;)

Jan. 29 2010 10:59 AM
Sydney from NYC

Too bad too many employers privilege multi-tasking skills almost to the exclusion of solo-tasking.

Jan. 29 2010 10:58 AM
Estelle from Austin

One problem is the lumping together of previously separate tools into one device. For example, I wouldn't call listening to music a "task," and in decades past, one would listen to music on a stereo somewhere in the room separate from whatever task one was doing. Now, listening to music requires using a "tasking" device (computer, iPod, etc.) that also has messaging, email, the internet, games, etc.

Jan. 29 2010 10:57 AM
Gabby from Manhattan

Interpreting simultaneously like they do at the UN or a conference between the leaders of two nations. I tried it. It's incredibly difficult. I only caught maybe 1/3 of the conversation.

Jan. 29 2010 10:56 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Brian, let her finish her sentences, without interrupting her. She has important stuff to say!

Jan. 29 2010 10:56 AM
Jon from Astoria

I practice a musical instrument (the piano) while I listen to wnyc in the background- am I wasting my time? Is the radio keeping me from tuning into and focusing on the music? I don't really "listen", it's more like I drift in and out-

Thanks!

Jan. 29 2010 10:55 AM
CJ from NY

NO! You can't IM while doing other things. It's obnoxious and ineffective. You are cheating all parties of a productive, valuable experience.

Jan. 29 2010 10:55 AM
LM from Long Island

My Grandmother could read and knit at the same time... no problem.

Jan. 29 2010 10:54 AM
hjs from 11211

more free air time for apple. thanks

Jan. 29 2010 10:50 AM