Schizophrenia and Race

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dr. Jonathan Metzl, associate professor of psychiatry and women's studies and director of the Culture, Health, and Medicine Program at University of Michigan, talks about his new book, The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease and provides a cautionary tale of how anxieties about race continue to influence doctor-patient interactions.

Events: Dr. Metzl is speaking today at 4 pm at the New York State Psychiatric Institute as part of a Columbia University Seminar series, 1051 Riverside Dr. He is also speaking tomorrow at NYU from 3-5pm, Room 542, 726 Broadway.

Jonathan Metzl

Robbie from Brooklyn

John (from office) - you are quite correct.

Jan. 28 2010 12:14 PM
john from office

another black issue Brian cannot handle. Too explosive.

Of Course you would have mental issues as an african American, you live in two worlds, speak in two forms and are constantly told by your leaders that your oppressed. Leading to insecurity

Jan. 28 2010 11:42 AM
Steve from Brooklyn

I've heard that people in some developing nations, including Hati and the DR, will report 'seeing' the dead, particularly dead relatives. An interpretation is that they're speaking metaphorically, but these people can be diagnosed as schizophrenic. Can you guest comment on this.

Jan. 28 2010 11:38 AM
Amy from Manhattan

"Projected anger," huh? Sounds to me like the projection might've been in the other direction.

I also find myself thinking about how children in "special class" (or whatever they call it these days) are overwhelmingly members of national racial minorities.

Jan. 28 2010 11:37 AM
Mark

I'm sympathetic to what he's saying and Foucault's image is grinning at me from my bookshelf as I write this but when someone you know starts talking about robots and encoded messages in the clouds it's clear the disease is real.

Jan. 28 2010 11:36 AM
Robbie from Brooklyn

See: Frantz Fanon, a psychiatrist from Martinique who had great experience with this in Algeria during the 60s.

Jan. 28 2010 11:28 AM