Latinos On TV

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition, and actor Tony Plana, currently on Ugly Betty, talk about how the networks are doing in their efforts to increase Latino involvement in their productions.

Alex Nogales and Tony Plana
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

henry schilitzar

I am a latino and I watch a lot of my tv on satellite. It is hooked up for my pc and I can watch all the spanish channels online.

Feb. 12 2010 02:06 AM
DAT573 from Nathan Straus Projects

I find it kind of demeaning the way that these
Latinos demand jobs from mainstream media, just
because of their ethnic background.

The producer of any show,
should hire the people
he or she wants and not have to regulate
a certain slot to anyone because of race,
ethnic background.

In the era of the internet, there is no reason,
why anyone can't find something they want,
in any language they want.

Jan. 27 2010 09:32 PM
john from office

Brian, your idea of a Latino is a stereotype. Latinos can be smart, white, blond, black, Jewish etc. Get your head out of the five Boros.

And thee is always John from the office.

Jan. 27 2010 05:53 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from www.beccar.wordpress.com

Hello, Brian, I was born in Argentina and am a dual national. I can tell you that there are blondes, light brunettes and redheads in Argentina. It is not the way Latinos are still portrayed on TV and movies. Some girls in Argentina are even better looking than someone like Reese Witherspoon or Jennifer Lopez. The networks and the film industry seem to find it easier to stereotype people from a certain region of the world. They have gotten away with it for a long, long time. I can't speak for the rest of Latin America, but I am sure that Argentines in the US are not pleased. I have watched programs on Univision, the Spanish network and Telemundo and there are very few Argentine novelas (soap operas). Most of them are from Mexico. Eugenia Renskoff

Jan. 27 2010 01:33 PM
Kirsten Jiminiez from Bronx

complaining when an ethnicity is portrayed unfairly is every American's right

boycotting racist shows is every American's right

shaking down corporate america and forcing them to hirea certain # of latinos is silly and counterprodcutive as is all affirmative action

Jan. 27 2010 12:47 PM
WhiteLatina from NJ

Latinos can be all colors. The denomination refers to a culture/ethnicity and not to a phenotye. Latinos are very racists themselves, I agree. I can never watch networks in Spanish because I find them insulting to my intelligence. What is sad, is that there is always something "funny" about the representation of Latino characters in main stream TV. It is usually an update on Ricky Ricardo...But I guess some actors (I haven't seen Ugly Betty) must accept this in order to get jobs.

Jan. 27 2010 12:08 PM
K. Rios from El Barrio, East Harlem

I think another thing to highlight is the importance of hiring Latino and Latina screen writers so that when movies and shows are created with Latino characters, they aren't written as cliche or sterotypes.

It's important to portray Latino characters as multidimensional and true. Without accurate portrayals of Latino and Latinas in the media, there will continue to be misunderstanding and prejudice toward our communities.

Jan. 27 2010 12:06 PM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The so-called Latino community can start by cleaning up their own house. You never see ANY dark-skinned (native/afro) "Latinos" on telemundo/univision shows, tele novelas or as news presenters.

Jan. 27 2010 12:01 PM
A listener

just watched a kimmel video on youtube.

the guillermo thing was a little offensive, but i can attribute that to the generally miserable state of comedy on television.

Jan. 27 2010 11:59 AM
doug from Brooklyn

What about Oscar on the Office, that's NBC

Jan. 27 2010 11:56 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

Your number don't get recorded accurately because too many latinos are identifying as white, which they are clearly NOT

Jan. 27 2010 11:53 AM
John from Bklyn

Sadly, we ARE still in the Stone Age. Just look at the success of the insulting and offensive cartoon "Jersey Shore". It's the same garbage over and over. I feel you, Alex and I hope things will change.

Jan. 27 2010 11:53 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

What about chewy on chelsey lately? Is he for real? who knows but she exploits him very well.

Jan. 27 2010 11:52 AM
Kirsten Jiminiez from Bronx

I don't like affirmative action for my own other ethnicities. you can't mandate NBC or any other candidate to hire Latinos -- all it is oging to do is make others suspicious of the talent of those who to get hired.

For god's sake, start getting jobs through merit not shaking down corporate america.

Jan. 27 2010 11:51 AM
Felix from Dallas, TX

Brian,

The networks seem to distinguish Hispanics via moustaches and goatees. I think this is ridiculous.

Best,

Felix Castro

Jan. 27 2010 11:50 AM
Tracy from Sunset Park

Maunuel Ortiz!

Jan. 27 2010 11:50 AM
hjs from 11211

esai morales is a star of caprica

Jan. 27 2010 11:49 AM