SOTU Open Phones: Small Business Employment

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

President Obama's State of the Union address will put the spotlight on small business job creation. Expected proposals include: the elimination of capital gains taxes on investments in small companies, tax credits for those employers that hire new workers and tax breaks for those that invest in new facilities and equipment.

Small business owners and unemployed listeners, what do you think? Will the expected proposals help you? What more do you need to spur job creating through small business? Comment below!

db from nyc

We need Obama to explain in pedagogical terms why fair and sane healthcare is a moral imperative. Enough of the flowery oratory filled with lofty ideology. Folks need to understand.

As a self-employed individual, this issue has significant negative impact on my ability to advance my business. I cannot afford to invest when insurance premiums rob every available cent from my business.

Additionally, the issue of unemployment for the self-employed and independent small business owners is a MAJOR issue. When there is a downturn, we too see an enormous reduction in revenue. Just because I'm self-employed, does not preclude me from the impact of the irresponsible/criminal behavior of government and bankers. We need relief, as well!

The annual insurance bill for my family of three is in excess of $19,000. And this is through Freelancer's Union, at a discount. Health, dental, life and disability. In addition, the coverage is limited and far from ideal. The open market cost for this same coverage is exponentially more.

$19,000 is more than many folks even make in a year!!

We need Obama come down off the amicable ivory tower and start to break some legs!

Jan. 27 2010 11:16 AM
jen from manhattan

I thought Brian gave unfair short shrift to the pharma rep. Consider that the entire industry has outsourced overseas hundreds of thousands of good manufacturing jobs over the past few years and have also laid off additional tens of thousands of jobs through cost reductions over the past few years. Also consider that more than 50 percent of their revenues are derived from either state or federal funds (medicaid, medicare, etc.) There is still no price negotiation over the drugs distributed through medicare part D which is a big boom to the industry. Maybe the government can't stop them from merging, but perhaps there are additional incentives that can prevent them from continuing to outsource overseas many good jobs.

Jan. 27 2010 10:54 AM
D from Brooklyn

I don't understand why the connection is not being made between a public option health reform and the help it would give to small business owners!!!!!! They would obviously save money if they don't have to foot the cost of insurance!!

...this is unbelievable!!!

Jan. 27 2010 10:50 AM
Unemployed from Inwood

I've been unemployed for 7 months. I am also 61 years old. I hold advanced degrees and have many years experience. This is the first time in my life that I have had to apply for unemployment benefits. I have applied for numerous jobs without even a response. My wife is a teacher in a shortage subject with 13 years but last year she had to transfer from a good school to a bad school due to the budget cuts. The last hopeful thing I heard was the medicare at 55 that Joe Lieberman killed.

Jan. 27 2010 10:50 AM
Jill from Westchester

I have been looking for a job for about a year and a half - trying to get back into the workforce after having left a professional career to stay home to raise a family.

I'd really love to blame the government for my lack of work, but how can I -- and more importantly - how can anyone?

Jan. 27 2010 10:36 AM
Tobi from Merrick, NY

Last year, I bought a house and made energy efficiency improvements. Looking forward to getting my tax credits for that.

This year I started a small business as a web design contractor. It would be fantastic to get a tax credit for starting a small business. Tax credits for new hires would be great, too. What's considered a hire, though? Full time, part time?

By the way, I think Obama's doing fine. Tax credits and new roads (ala the American Reinvestment Act) are the big successes I'm seeing.

Jan. 27 2010 10:35 AM