Filming the Haitian Crisis

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Annie Nocenti, teacher at the Cine Institute, a film school for Haitian youth in the city of Jacmel, discusses the effect of the earthquake on the Cine students and the ways in which they are documenting the aftermath.

See More Videos from CineInstitute Here

Annie Nocenti

Jane Schneider from Maplewood, NJ

Don't forget to check out Cine Institute's website. Every day you see amazing video and get updates from the students. I just hope they all stay safe and I thank them for keeping me up to date with what is going on in the smaller regions.

Jan. 20 2010 06:41 PM
santa santiago-ramos from yorktown heights, ny

my heart goes out to the haitian people. i can't imagine the feeling of despair, fear, hunger, death. the logistics of relief efforts have hindered the distribution of food, water, medicine & other necessary items. it is time for the haitian govt to come out of hiding and reassure its people of true change and equality for all. let this tragedy serve as a window of opportunity to rebuild a country with so much potential. blessings today, tomorrow and its future.

Jan. 19 2010 01:08 PM
Laurie Spiegel from Tribeca

I am so tired of the supposedly-educated-and-aware news media including NPR, WNYC, PBS etc. reinforcing classist racists stereotyping by describing white non-Haitian professionals (doctors, news people etc.) as "scavenging" what they need but the Haitian people as "looting" what they need. Why on earth do the media keep doing this? Certainly there must be a whopping big percentage of their audience that this bothers every time we hear this outrageously unfair double standard yet again.

Jan. 19 2010 12:02 PM
Ericka Bazile from Brooklyn, NY

This is just terrible. Flo McGarrell was the Director of FOSAJ, an artist community in Jacmel. His family just visited him there last winter. My deepest condolences to his family and everyone at Fanal Otantik Sant D'a Jakmel.

Jan. 19 2010 11:41 AM
Karen from NYC

I just tried to donate to the Cine Institute in Jacqmel, but the form didn't go through. This doesn't inspire confidence in my donation getting into the right hands.

I would like to donate. I think it's important for many voices to be heard, not just big media outlets. I have been disappointed by the emphasis on "looting" and violence. Who to believe? I'm sure there are many more stories to tell.

Jan. 19 2010 11:29 AM
RJ from Prospect Hts

Re: "Looting" See Rebecca Solnit's "Paradise Built in Hell" which discusses how post-disaster people are overwhelmingly referred to--with little or no evidence--as out of control "looters" and "rioters." She describes how this gives an excuse for overwhelming force from the powerful to take over land and other resources. When in fact the overwhelming response--from the 1906 post-SF earthquake to Katrina, and from many reports, what's happening now in Haiti--is of communities comming together to help one another. Less dramatic but so much more powerful for the telling the true story.

Jan. 19 2010 11:02 AM
asdf

hold on, there were reports of throwing rocks and arson on npr, let's try and be informative. we all realize this is a horrible crisis

Jan. 19 2010 11:00 AM
stefano giovannini from brooklyn ny

I was in Jacmel in sept 2008 after the hurricanes.
People had lost a lot and there was no media nor help from anyone.

I can imagine it is now even harder but I am happy to hear the family where I stayed is fine.

I shot some footage then, interviewed many people.

here is some

have many photos.

Jan. 19 2010 10:55 AM
Carrie from Brooklyn, NY

I have two friends in Jacmel, one who did not survive. The other has been waiting for a week now for help to dig the other out. Apparently there are people trying to charge the American family of the man who died $7000 to bring the body home?

If anyone can help Sue Frame bring the body of Flo McGarrell home, they are in Jacmel. Flo was buried in the rubble of the Peace of Mind Hotel.

Jan. 19 2010 10:52 AM
superf88

Cuba?
DC?
Puerto Rico, Caymans, Jamaica, Mexico, Turks and Caicos...would be most interested in seeing some of the powerful amateur stuff supplemented by pro journalism measuring and projecting the impact that this crisis is having at the countries immediately outside Haiti -- besides USA.

Jan. 19 2010 09:40 AM