Confronting the Unknown

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Artist Jerry McGill was paralyzed after being shot by a stray bullet on his way to a party when he was twelve. He writes of his struggle in the form of a letter in his book Dear Marcus: Speaking To The Man Who Shot Me (iUniverse.com, 2009).

Jerry McGill
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Nancy from San Diego

Jerry, my friend--I loved seeing your grinning face in my mind while I listened to the interview. Great job, as usual! You include all listeners and speak to us all.

Jan. 13 2010 07:42 PM
zora

Mr McGill is an inspiration with his deep insight into converting tragedy. Thanks for having him on the show

Jan. 12 2010 11:28 PM
Joell Lennox from California

I very much enjoyed your show today, Mr. Lehrer, with the author Jerry McGill. His outlook on overcoming and living with a disappinting time in life is uplifting and was a valuable lesson for me. Thank you.

Jan. 12 2010 04:26 PM
ariana

Thank you Mr.Lehrer for having Jerry on your show. I greatly appreciate his perspective on how to deal with things in life that you didn't expect, coming out of anger, and living a constructive life by surrounding yourself with loving people.I highly recommend his memoir DEAR MARCUS. Thank you again.

Jan. 12 2010 01:48 PM
Liz Ribeiro from Toronto

and..I admire your courage and inner strength..truly..

Jan. 12 2010 01:20 PM
C Tun from Danbury, CT

I believe that mind control is important. While it is important to acknowledge feelings, it is destructive to be ruled by them. Buddhism and meditation are great teachers of this technique. Kudos to Mr. McGill. It was great hearing your story and I will look for your book.

Jan. 12 2010 12:10 PM
Liz from Toronto

You are an incredible human being.....

Jan. 12 2010 11:29 AM
cwebba from Astoria

Recently I have been helping out at HHDNYC.org

Helping Hands for The Disabled of NYC is an organization of people committed to helping the disabled to take charge of their own lives, even if at times we need assistance.
They are having a Volunteer Training Day on Saturday, February 13th.

Jan. 12 2010 11:04 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

... but anger is not illegitimate -- I reject that notion. After all, it IS one the emotions in our nature -- there must be a rationale for it. I guess the key is not to let it consume you. Easier said than done.

Jan. 12 2010 11:01 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Mr. McGill is great. His advice does not come across as gratuitous. He really communicates well how to resolve the theory of forgiveness to reality.

My own situation is one where my ex-wife alienated my kids against me and kept me from seeing them as much as she could. I have tried to forgive and get past, but the pain and damage her continuing behavior still visits on my children prevents me from getting there.

Jan. 12 2010 10:58 AM
hjs from 11211

what's the point of being angry? there is no value.

Jan. 12 2010 10:57 AM
Rory from Brooklyn

Jerry, I am inspired by your story. Thanks for appearing on the show today.

Jan. 12 2010 10:56 AM