"State of State" Reaction

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Bill Perkins, New York State Senator (D-30th, Harlem), and John Faso, former state assembly minority leader, offer reaction to yesterday's State of the State Address.

More State of State Information: Listen to the Speech | Watch the Full Address | Read the Transcript | Explore the Full Paterson "Blueprint to Rebuild NY" | a href="http://blogs.wnyc.org/news/2010/01/07/bob-hennelly-patersons-state-of-the-state-nails-down-his-campaign-platform-while-democrats-mull-their-options/" target="_blank">WNYC's Bob Hennely Offers His Take

John Faso and Bill Perkins

carl scala from ny city

paterson is right on the money. the only way to have honest government is to have public financing and term limits. carl from queens.

Jan. 07 2010 10:55 AM
David from nassau county

I was thrilled to hear him propose that legislators convicted of abusing their office will lose their pensions. If legislators are willing to sacrifice their own (if there is honor among thieves) there is hope that that reform will move on to other public employees.

It still galls me that Frank Tassone, convicted of stealing $2.2 million from the Roslyn school district, gets an annual pension of $173,495 (http://www.whitechalkcrime.com/docs/What/Roselyn.html).

I have a faint hope that the fear of losing their pension may temper some public employees to eschew temptation.

Jan. 07 2010 10:49 AM
cwebba from Astoria

Two thumbs up for Governor Paterson.

I hope he wins reelection as Governor of NY. I fully intend to lend my support.

Jan. 07 2010 10:44 AM
Amy from Manhattan

No, Paterson can't be re-elected, because he hasn't been elected in the 1st place. But both Brian & his guests keep saying "re-elected." (I'm mostly in favor of him, so it's not that--I'm just pointing it out for the sake of accuracy.)

Jan. 07 2010 10:43 AM
Smokey from LES

I support Paterson and plan to vote for him - he's being honest and straight-forward. We have to get our finances in order. Most of the legislature should be retired.

Jan. 07 2010 10:42 AM
RCT from NYC

My problem with Paterson is that he appears to have few leadership skills. His speech was honest and true, but flew in the face of the (terrible) politics in Albany; he's never going to get any of these measures passed.

I like David Paterson. He's smart, funny, honest and ethical. But to run NY, you've got to be a pol -- and he ain't one.

Jan. 07 2010 10:41 AM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

Bravo to the caller who criticized the American dynasties -- Cuomo, Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Murkowski, Paterson.... How long until one of Bloomberg's daughters runs. How long til Chelsea Clinton runs. Kirsten Gillibrand comes from an old New York political family.

The other thread running through these dynasties -- money.

Paul Krugman, Eliot Spitzer, and others are right -- the US is rapidly becoming an oligarchy, not a democracy.

Jan. 07 2010 10:41 AM
Richard Johnston from Upper west side

How dare Faso compare New York negatively with Medicaid spending in "Texas and Florida combined." Neither of the other 2 states has an income tax, public services in both are execrable, and Texas has the highest rate of medically uninsured in the country. Need we say more?

Jan. 07 2010 10:38 AM
lucy K from Brooklyn

Developers are at the top of the list as Perkins said. Other big special interests are the private prisons and all the people who provide services to the prisons (clothing, food, beds, etc). And those who provide the services to schools like the book provides and test makers. And don't forget the consultants who are paid $200-$300 an hour who both the state and the city use and once hired don't leave. City and State workers are fired and then high priced consultants are brought in to fill their place.

Jan. 07 2010 10:36 AM
Jennifer from Queens

Every time I hear you interview yet another state senator, I'm struck by how ignorant and self-interested they all sound. Having watched a grossly incompetent woman, Shirley Huntley, ascend from her imperious rule of the extremely dysfunctional local school board to the state senate, running unopposed in the last election, I wonder how bad the other guys are and can only imagine.

When a Republican like John Faso sounds the most reasonable to a die-hard Democrat like me, then you know the Democratic Party is in big trouble in this state.

Jan. 07 2010 10:32 AM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

John Faso is wrong, at least in part. We the People have paid for all the raises and bonuses on Wall Street -- that's tens of billions of dollars, more than enough to make up the combined budget shortfalls of New York State and City.

Jan. 07 2010 10:26 AM
Bob from Pelham

Re the Governor's reference to opposing well-connected special interests -- will this oppostion extend to the state's excessive funding given to the museum run by the wife of outgoing Comptroller Bill Thompson, as detailed by Wayne Barrett in yesterday's Village Voice cover story?

Jan. 07 2010 10:25 AM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

Regarding Paterson: Remember that he spent his first months in office making jokes and palling around with the Republicans. His rhetoric now about ethics and reform is just a hail mary in a campaign that is crashing and burning. He has about as much intention of following his promises now as Obama did in 2008.

Jan. 07 2010 10:23 AM
Ken from Brooklyn

I do not believe that Paterson will reform Albany.

In his "Wall Street is Main Street" speech in December he said, "If you say anything about corn in Iowa, they'll run you out of town. If you say anything about oil in Texas, they skin you up at the nearest tree. We need to stand behind the engine of our economy in New York -- and the engine is Wall Street."

He has an unconditional support for Wall Street no matter how problematic, unethical and corrupt it may be. He is not interested in asking questions let alone holding anyone accountable so why would Albany be any different?

I plan on running him out of town in the next election.

Jan. 07 2010 10:22 AM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

So Bill Perkins is all for ethics reforms just as long as such reforms don't apply to him and his friends.

Jan. 07 2010 10:21 AM
hjs from 11211

i wish my representative had any power. 3 men in a room is still a problem

Jan. 07 2010 10:18 AM
dorothy vivas from mount vernon ny

I fully support Gov. Patterson. He is an intelligent man who is willing to take on entrenched political interests in the wilds of Albany. Tough times call for drastic measures and he is a thoughtful "David". Popularity is not his focus.

Jan. 07 2010 10:17 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

As of today, I am supporting Patterson but voting against all of my New York State incumbent representatives.
The guest points to the Bruno trial, but neglected to mention the abominable state of the New York State Legislature.
This guy is part of the problem and clearly doesn’t want any solution other than what will put money in his pocket and power in his hands.

Jan. 07 2010 10:16 AM
Tom from Upper West Side

If, as the instant pundits are saying, most of the Governor's "reform" agenda will be DOA, who the devil were the people in his audience, who were applauding?

Jan. 07 2010 10:11 AM
antonio from the republic of park slope..

I am pretty sure I am voting for Patterson. Unless Howard Dean joins the race...

Jan. 07 2010 10:10 AM