Newly Elected: Ydanis Rodriguez

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The new city council member for District 10, Ydanis Rodriguez, talks about representing Upper Manhattan.

Ydanis Rodriguez

Kelly from Washington Heights

Originally from the other far end of the A-train, I find Washington Heights to be a great ethnically mixed neighborhood of good solid people and dogwalkers who have lots of small businesses, as evidence by the fact that we don't have a huge market or book store chains. Ydanis has to reset his focus on more small businesses and away from swimming pools (are you kidding me?) I'm 60 years old and seem to have survivived never having had a pool of any kind! The local kids, hispanic and caucasian alike, don't seem to be suffering. Ydanis, please remember you represent ALL OF US ! Thank you and good luck to you.

Jan. 06 2010 12:46 PM
MoNYC from Sunnyside

You think he'll actually organize community events and meetings where he'll communicate with his constituents in the language they're most comfortable in?! THAT. BUM. What's next? Treating high school students like young adults?! The nerve...

Our global city certainly has room for more than just one language and one way to speak said language.

Jan. 05 2010 12:36 PM
john from office

You are wrong, I am sure his meetings and other events are held in spanish and the Bilingual education movement has been a disaster. I have met Dominicans born here who have spanish accents. Ridiculous.

Jan. 05 2010 11:21 AM
MoNYC from Sunnyside

With all due respect, I'm sure that the first immigrants elected to office in earlier immigration waves probably did not speak impeccable English either. I applaud Mr. Rodriguez's desire to address access to arts (I believe music was mentioned) and sports enrichment, such as swimming and gymnastics etc, considering that these are areas with incredibly high rates of childhood obesity. Also, regarding education, I do believe he mentioned addressing dropout rates and the student subway fare issue. Mr. Rodriguez may not be an eloquent or articulate English speaker but he seems attuned to his constituents' needs.

Jan. 05 2010 11:18 AM
john from office

Robert, English lit

Jan. 05 2010 11:01 AM
Liam from East Elmhurst

Another impressive new American.

Jan. 05 2010 10:59 AM
Robert from NYC

What did he teach?

Jan. 05 2010 10:58 AM
john from office

Brian some Dominicans are white, expand your mind please.

Jan. 05 2010 10:58 AM
john from office

I am a Dominican American, we have been very successful as small business owners and professionals. The problem is that the new generation, unlike my parents who came in the late fifties, expect entitlements and have been ruined by the Democratic partie and the mentality of poverty they sold to Blacks.

Jan. 05 2010 10:56 AM
Ed from East Village

What are the barriers? Indoor pools! The ability to speak English is not mentioned.

Jan. 05 2010 10:56 AM