Jake Tapper on National Politics

Monday, January 04, 2010

Heath care and national security are at the top of the list in Washington. Jake Tapper, senior White House correspondent for ABC News, discusses efforts to reconcile the House and Senate health care bills and Homeland Security's new airport safety measures.

Jake Tapper

Leah from Brooklyn

Was that caller a prank? He collects rare orchids? THAT'S what he wants to keep his money for?

Sep. 16 2010 10:24 AM
gaetano catelli from downtown manhattan

Brian/Jody: this segment was an intelligent, interesting discussion of this timely issue.

Jan. 04 2010 08:03 PM
the tuth! from BKNY

OK then, electric shocks it is!

Jan. 04 2010 12:34 PM
hjs from 11211

tuth
the more we have to look at the less we can see. but sure check everyone twice and three times or just build a cage with electric shocks around the whole country. then we just have to worry about the american fundamentalist that were born here.

Jan. 04 2010 12:17 PM
Dennis Hellawell from New Jersey

What would I sacrifice to make the world a better place? I'd contribute more money (including paying higher taxes if I felt they would be used to improve things) and in some cases contribute time for good causes. I already try to contribute to quite a few worthy causes. I already try very hard to leave a pretty small footprint: fuel efficient vehicles, use of bicycle transport, small home, commitment to recycling, committed to not wasting food, water, electricity, etc. I also communicate my opinions to friends to help them to be more aware of important social, political, environmental and economic issues.

Jan. 04 2010 12:09 PM
the tuth! from BKNY

bernard - ALL international entry points - again - i am firm on that!

Jan. 04 2010 11:53 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

the tuth!- what are you talking about? putting cuba on this list is asinine. it's te latest in a long list of ridiculous gestures meant to appease right wing cuban-americans in this country. don't know why we care so much about what they think.
we're "ignoring" hundreds of other countries by declaring this list. it's never going to be foolproof, but this is a small attempt at decreasing the odds.

Jan. 04 2010 11:41 AM
the tuth! from BKNY

HJS - K sooo maybe we ignore Cuba and then the terrorists can take that route as a point of entry to the US? Dont forget how ruthless and determined these people are....again ALL international traveler INTO the US should be screened down to the SKELETON!! I am firm on that.

Jan. 04 2010 11:36 AM
hjs from 11211

truth
3 wasting money on cuba means we can't watch other threats

Jan. 04 2010 11:30 AM
hjs from 11211

truth
1 i did not now that cuba was a front in the war against islamic fundamentalism
2. the cold war is over.

Jan. 04 2010 11:27 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

So if "terrorists" know that in certain countries they'll be under tighter security -- what's to keep them from traveling from other countries. More window dressing.

Jan. 04 2010 11:26 AM
Lance from Miami

Is this new policy just politics?

What's to keep potential terrorists from simply shifting their last point of departure prior to coming to the US to a country that is NOT on the list??

We've been lucky that the potential terrorists in the US since 9/11 have been the B and C teams.

Jan. 04 2010 11:23 AM
SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

Sadly, even Brian loses his rational brain when talking about this new security issue. This conversation does nothing to deal with the real problem of how to deal with the ongoing threat of random terror. Is it really useful to undermine the Obama administration's efforts? I don't recall comparable hysteria over the Bush/Chaney response to the shoe bomber and other "terror" threats. In fact we seemed happier complaining about the silly Orange or Red Alerts.

Jan. 04 2010 11:23 AM
Pliny from nyc

shouldn't this be handled at the visa level?

Jan. 04 2010 11:23 AM
Lance from Miami

I experienced the increased security on a return flight from overseas to the US a few days ago. I didn't feel safer after the screening, as the staff performing the screening seemed to be doing a half-hearted job.

For obvious reasons, the screener who performed my patdown didn't feel my groin area; had I been carrying a hidden weapon similar to the one carried by Abdulmutallab, it would have been completely missed. The screeners who physically inspected my carry-on bag didn't really look through it carefully.

Jan. 04 2010 11:21 AM
Lori from NJ

Actually, I think we are addressing practical (applied to EVERYONE) security issues which should have been implemented immediately AFTER 9/11 -- not 9 years later 'cause of one nutty dude.

What will it take?

Jan. 04 2010 11:20 AM
the tuth! from BKNY

The "Christmas Day terrorist" was human error. period.

Jan. 04 2010 11:19 AM
the tuth! from BKNY

This is NOT about profiling this is about saving innocent lives people!

Jan. 04 2010 11:19 AM
the tuth! from BKNY

HJS..,.why NOT cuba?

Jan. 04 2010 11:18 AM
hey you

You're treating this in the same sensationalist irrational manner you treated the build up to the war and its first few years.

Jan. 04 2010 11:16 AM
Lori from NJ

p.s. we should have a UNIVERSAL policy vs. targeting certain countries

(and like the terrorists aren't smart enough to recruit someone who will travel from a NON listed country! The US, once again, gets the "DUH!" award.)

Jan. 04 2010 11:15 AM
the tuth! from BKNY

I am clear on why they come here however, I am NOT clear why two-faced Americans travel there...also, I think ALL persons traveling internationally should be screened down to the bone!!

Jan. 04 2010 11:15 AM
hjs from 11211

Mike
i understand this is common in some part of the world. credit cards are not accepted because of fears of fraud

Jan. 04 2010 11:14 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

unfortunately, i think this is not enough. while i consider myself a liberal, the obvious facts regarding who is attempting these attacks are hard to deny. in fact, i think it should be ethnically based screening as well as country of origin screening. britain, netherlands, germany etc. are filled with radical islamic groups that have the freedom to organize and plot cowardly acts on airplanes.
and why is cuba on this list? has the right wing cuban-american nonsense permeated this issue as well? beyond the small pocket of voters in south florida, why are these people catered to? we were actually at war with vietnam and now our relationship is sensible and productive, so why not cuba? we need to normalize relations with cuba and finally put an end to this policy once and for all. let them scream all they want in little havana.

Jan. 04 2010 11:14 AM
Lori from NJ

Why create a HUGE umbrella agency if ALL the information doesn't end up UNDER the same umbrella?

She seemed to undermine the rationale for the creation of her own agency!

Jan. 04 2010 11:12 AM
hjs from 11211

why cuba???

Jan. 04 2010 11:11 AM
Lori from NJ

Re Aiport Security:

I was just in India in mid December and on my three domestic flights in the country and on my return flight to the US, I walked through the metal detector, my bags were screened, and I was then patted down by a guard.

They had two lines (one for women and one for men) and the whole process, despite the fact that it had an extra step, still moved faster than the security checks I have experienced at home. (Yes, things move FASTER in INDIA than they do in NEWARK, NJ!)

Jan. 04 2010 11:08 AM
Salma from Brooklyn

Brian -

Could your team investigate these body scanners and their likelihood (or not) to cause cancer (as MRI's, X-rays, and CAT Scans are). Wasn't this one of the many reasons the recommendation for women getting mammograms increased from age 40 to 50? Why should certain people from certain countries be forced to go through equipment that could harm them and others not?

Thanks!

Jan. 04 2010 11:05 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Brian,

Ask him about today's NYT piece that reveals that union pressure from construction unions were able to steal (kill) the small business exemption in that industry. That small shop exemption helped it get passed in the first place. Now Harry Reid justifies it with that "everyone gets a favor or two" smarmy dodge.

Jan. 04 2010 09:16 AM
Mike

Having just gone through the new airport security measures, I can testify that they are a huge waste of time and resources. They are there as a show to cover their ass because they messed up.

That guy should have raised a bunch a flags including paying cash for his one way ticket. Can you even do that these days?

Jan. 04 2010 08:12 AM
Ed from Larchmont, NY

The Senate bill does not preserve the Hyde Amendment idea that tax payer money should not be used to fund abortion. If the bill could be made abortion neutral, it would gain more support.

Jan. 04 2010 07:17 AM