Season's Eatings: Tummy Aches

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The weekly series on holiday hosting closes with Tamara Reynolds and Zora O'Neill, authors of Forking Fantastic!: Put the Party Back in Dinner Party. This week's topic: Overcoming Over-indulgence

Did you overindulge this holiday season? Is it possible not to? What's your trick for breaking the cookie/cake/cocktail cycle? Comment below!

Zora O’Neill and Tamara Reynolds

JERSEY from new jersey

i totally overate and will have to do some serious gym time! got a great gift to help it all...a WARMABLES pouch. i can now bring my food from home and keep it warm until i eat it. we have no microwave at work, this gadget is the perfect tool for me to get back into shape.
find it at warmables.com
in any case, overeating once a year is fine with me!

Dec. 30 2009 12:56 PM
Diane from Caldwell NJ

Years ago I read that most people make about 12 recipes regularly. So I always resolve to make at least one new recipe each month.

Dec. 30 2009 10:58 AM
hazy from brooklyn

to the previous caller. Don't worry about the carpets and furniture. It's more fun and important to have fun with friends. i made the mistake of postponing my parties because of my cream color berber carpet. After 8 years, i finally had my first party. There were no accidents, and even if there were, who cares! We had a great time and I can't wait to have my next party.

Dec. 30 2009 10:57 AM
colin from bklyn

speaking of overindulgence...
do either of your foodie guests ever consider making food for people less fortunate than themselves?

my partner makes 30 bag lunches every week for hungry/homeless people. we scavenge the food from the trash of bakeries and groceries, and prepare it all in our home kitchen. Some ingridients must be purchased, but the cost per lunch is down to $.50.

dinner parties are fun and all, but as the primary focus of ones life?
kinda superficial and pathetic..

and missing an opportunity to affect real change.

it'd be easy to put people to work at a 'dinner party' or organize a party whose focus was feeding the 'needy'.

Dec. 30 2009 10:54 AM
Jennifer from Jersey City

I have a NYD party every year and it's a great way to spend the day nursing your hangover and seeing the friends you didn't see on NYE. I always try to serve up something hearty. Soups, chilis, this year it will be mac and cheese. And I always make black-eyed pea salsa for luck.

Dec. 30 2009 10:53 AM
hjs from 11211

enjoy the season then get back to the gym!

Dec. 30 2009 10:51 AM