Cloning Fast Food

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Author of the QVC cookbook Top Secret Recipes Unlocked: All New Home Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods (Plume, 2009), Todd Wilbur explains how to recreate favorite processed foods in home kitchens.

Todd Wilbur

Abram Hall from Miami

Mr Wilbur is incorrect saying there is no medical evidence about MSG being harmful. I myself am severeley allergic to it, as well as shellfish, and many other foods that contain a large concentration of IODIDE. It runs in the family-and my negative reaction to it is so strong that I have been warned by my doctors and nutritionist. And like saccharine, it does NOT taste good to me-it tastes terrible.

Dec. 16 2009 12:06 PM
smidely from

tough group! for those who object to such segments, a click away is...

Amy Goodman is waay too busy kicking the man's @ss to irritate the most earnest among us...

Dec. 16 2009 11:04 AM
RCT from NYC

Brian, you are so naive! Read any good cook book and you'll find that meat fats and broths are the basis of many "vegetable" recipes.

If you want to cook vegetarian -- and I usually do -- you need to make your own veggie broth or buy veggie broth in health stores.

Fish, too -- check out the cookbook by Eric Ripert, the chef at the great, Le Bernadin, and you'll find that meat broths and fats are used to flavor those dishes as well. The junkfood market has no corner on animal fat additives.

Dec. 16 2009 11:01 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

brian- why does every "light" segment have to be assinine? cloning food that is horrible for us? cackling yuppy "party ideas" women? c'mon, seriously...

Dec. 16 2009 11:01 AM
Larry from Queens

Running a solution of crushed no-doze pills through cheesecloth will absolutely not remove caffeine from the solution. The pieces of material he sees in the cloth is simply pieces of the pill that have not dissolved. Any parts that dissolved will have released caffeine which cannot be strained out.

Dec. 16 2009 11:01 AM
smidely from

Everything good contains either salt, sugar, fat or msg. You know where I'm goin with this...everything GREAT contains them all!

Dec. 16 2009 11:00 AM
Suki from Williamsburg

People who think MSG is bad for them are attention-seeking malingerers.

Team MSG!

Dec. 16 2009 10:56 AM
Cynthia from long island

I am not sure what the point of this book is. I think there is too much cloning and copying of everything in the United States. I am so tired of movie re-makes, re-editions, and pop artists re-recording their own albums.

Now, we should make crappy food that we shouldn't be eating in the first place? He sounds like a smart guy. Doesn't have anything better to do with his time.

Dec. 16 2009 10:56 AM
LM from Long Island

YUCK!

Dec. 16 2009 10:52 AM
hjs from 11211

why does healthcare cost so much?

this stuff is bad for us!

Dec. 16 2009 10:49 AM
Mike

That food is disgusting. Why would you want to recreate it? Just cook normal food and add tons of sugar and salt, grind up some insects and fry it up in a ton of cheap oil and you'll get pretty close. Oh yeah, don't forget the E.Coli for that fast food aftertaste that doesn't go away.

Dec. 16 2009 10:06 AM