Uncommon Resolutions: Reaching Your Financial Goals

Monday, December 14, 2009

Your Uncommon Economic Indicators launched one year ago. This month we’re looking for your uncommon economic resolutions. Jane Bryant Quinn, personal finance commentator and the author of the forthcoming Making the Most of Your Money Now: The Classic Bestseller Completely Revised for the New Economy (Simon & Schuster, 2009), and Joseph Satto, founder of MySomeday.com, offer advice for achieving your financial goals.

Jane Bryant Quinn and Joseph Satto

Muriel from NYC

BUY LOCAL - two years ago I joined a CSA farm share for veggies, this year I plan to add meat, milk and eggs to my buy local resolution. This may not be the cheapest way to go for me personally but I'm thinking of the bigger economic picture.

Dec. 21 2009 10:54 AM
Joseph Satto from Brooklyn, NY

In response to Donovan's comment above re: relocation, I didn't get a chance on the show to mention that we have a number of people that are using or have used the site to plan a relocation. Here is a link to one girl's Plan that may be helpful. http://bit.ly/5gLSiC

Dec. 14 2009 01:31 PM
Susan from Kingston

Jane Bryant Quinn - the suggestion of Walmart for part time employment for a person in the 50's as a solution for people who have been discriminated against because of their age - 58? Are you kidding me? Walmart has put many good businesses out of business because of their cheap products and low salaries. Personnally, I boycott Walmart!

Dec. 14 2009 11:00 AM
Hugh Sansom from Brooklyn NY

If people are being laid off because of their age, that's age discrimination and illegal! Jane Bryant Quinn casually describes age discrimination with no mention of this.

Dec. 14 2009 10:56 AM
slowereastside

Can someone ask the mutual fund lady: What do average investors know about mutual fund managers and the structures of various funds?

Dec. 14 2009 10:55 AM
Elle from Brooklyn, NY

Financial resolutions, whether they're for the new year or not, require milestones in order for them to be successful at all. I often hear my friends discuss what they want to achieve financially, but I don't think they have a real plan. If I wanted to start actively balancing my checking account for the new year, for instance, and ensure it's a habit by the end of 2010, what will my milestones be to evaluate my success in March/June/September? This is just an example but would love to know your general thoughts on financial resolutions and sticking to them.

Dec. 14 2009 10:53 AM
donovan

Our economic resolution for this year is to move away from NYC. On to greener pastures.
As the middle class (me) is getting more and more squeezed out of NYC, places like the pacific NW are looking better and better!
With the MTA in shambles and probably higher fares and service cuts along with fewer jobs and rising rents, NYC is becoming unlivable for people like myself. My wife and I work in creative fields and with the flourishing art scenes in smaller metropolitan areas the prospects seem brighter elsewhere...

Dec. 14 2009 10:52 AM
Halley S from Boston, MA

My economic resolution: BUY IN BULK!

Dec. 14 2009 10:52 AM
Chloe Bland from Washington Heights

This year I have started working on my resolutions at thanksgiving so i have some solid footwork underway in the New Year.
1) do volunteer work with my husband and kids
2) stick to $40 cash per week (no debit cards)
3) exercise 2x per week
4) code my dissertation video

Dec. 14 2009 10:50 AM
Tony from Santa Clara, CA

Finally get around all the paperwork to save my money in German bunds.

Dec. 14 2009 10:49 AM
antonio from park slope

Hey, my wife and I want to buy a house. Problem. We have only one income on the spreadsheet (cause of the downturn), but we have some duckets saved, and have great credit...
any advice?