Season's Eatings: The Gift of Food

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The weekly series on holiday hosting continues with Tamara Reynolds and Zora O'Neill, authors of Forking Fantastic!: Put the Party Back in Dinner Party. This week: Giving Food as Gifts What's the best and worst food gift you've received? Comment below.

Listen to Last Week's Discussion on Entertaining on a Budget Here!

Event
Zora and Tamara at Brooklyn Kitchen Labs, 100 Frost Street, tonight at 6.30 pm. Information about tickets available here.

Live Chat Today! Right after their segment, Zora and Tamara will be answering your holiday hosting questions online. Chat starts right at 11:00am here!

Zora O’Neill and Tamara Reynolds

Zora from Astoria, Queens

Hey, thanks for all the comments on the air and in the online chat!

I just want to go on record as the one who _does_ like Cook's Illustrated! It's basically how I learned to cook, so I owe it a debt, even if Christopher Kimball himself is maddening (never, ever read the editor's letter--that's my rule). And it is a genius gift, as the caller said.

MH from W'burg: don't sweat the packaging! I basically stick everything in canning jars (even if it's not canned goods--nuts, granola, whatever), because they're sturdy and simple.

Dec. 10 2009 02:18 PM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

so much for the 1st amendment at the BL show....knowing how your audience feels about certain guests isn't "civil and productive"?

Dec. 10 2009 11:46 AM
BL Moderator from Varick St. Studios

[[BL Moderator Writes: We've removed a few comments. Please remember the WNYC posting policy, which asks that you keep your comments civil and productive. In other words: be nice. Thanks!
-BL Show-]]

Dec. 10 2009 11:33 AM
LM from Long Island

Seriously Bernard Joseph ... take a chill pill. You don't need an RX for that.

Dec. 10 2009 11:21 AM
jademirror from nj

I wish I could make your Brooklyn event, but alas I can't.

Would love to know where you get your Pomegranate Molasses; would really love to know a place to source it cheaply in mid- or lower Manhattan.

Here in Jersey City it is very hard to find, even though we have a decent-sized population from the Mid East. (Wrong parts, I guess.)

Can you provide info in the on-line chat? THanks.

Dec. 10 2009 11:10 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

i'm def. not a "Scrouge"....lightness is fine, of course. just not at the expense of my hearing. i don't have health insurance, after all

Dec. 10 2009 11:07 AM
Adam from River Edge

Cook's Illustrated = explaining a joke

Dec. 10 2009 11:05 AM
Robert from NYC

Whatever happened to Pete Schwetty selling his famous balls on the holidays on NPR? Has his business closed?

Dec. 10 2009 11:04 AM
LM from Long Island

Jeez.. seems like a number of Scrouges out there today. I found that very entertaining..Nothingwrong with a little lightness amongst the serious debate. Looking forward to next week's segment. Their book sounds like a great gift!

Dec. 10 2009 11:04 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

Cook's Illustrated is a GREAT gift idea.
We are charter members. Have every issue.
Whomever hates CI, I did not get who that is, I do not get you dislike. It is helpful if you want it to be.
It is beautiful - love the back cover.

Dec. 10 2009 10:58 AM
Randolph

Who are these cackling hyenas? Why is everything so damn funny?

Dec. 10 2009 10:56 AM
Sarah from Brooklyn

Truffle oil. It's so expensive you can't buy it for yourself, and it's so good!

Dec. 10 2009 10:56 AM
mh from williamsburg

Also, isn't a HUGE part of food gift-giving presentation? You need to really put it in cute containers or wrap it fabulously, or it kind of falls flat. Any tips?

Dec. 10 2009 10:56 AM
Alison from Upper West Side

The Best Food gift I've received was an expensive bottle of balsamic vinegar, which I would never purchase for myself. Really good balsamic truly is really good - great not just for vinagrette's but for all sorts of recipes including as a topping for vanilla ice cream when reduced.

Dec. 10 2009 10:55 AM
Brian from Brooklyn

Giggling. Lots of giggling.

Dec. 10 2009 10:55 AM
mh from williamsburg

It is so tricky to give food. People are on diets, they keep their kids way from sugar, they want to eat local (so no fruit of the month with pineapple flown in from south america). How can you know what won't offend or go to waste?

Dec. 10 2009 10:55 AM
Gina from Crown Heights

In college, we had a secret santa party where a person who was not part of it unexpectedly showed up. We scrambled and found a chocolate orange in the pantry from god knows when. Now whenever any of us find ourselves in a terribly awkward situation, we call it a Chocolate Orange Moment.

Dec. 10 2009 10:54 AM
Dave G from High Bridge, NJ

Great mail order place:

The Spice House
1512 N. Wells St.
Chicago
www.thespicehouse.com

excellent, fresh, perfect bottles.
they have everything

Dec. 10 2009 10:53 AM
cnh

Greatest gift Blueberry Chutney! Twenty years later I still remember the giver with great fondness.

ps Chris Kimball definitely IS a food nazi but taken with a "grain of salt" is informative.

Dec. 10 2009 10:52 AM
Robert from NYC

The problem I have with some of those mailorder places like Harry and David's and a few others is when I attempt to get different products mailed to the same household for the holidays I want them all to arrive the very same time because they are usually products that go together. For example I sent muffins and breakfast cakes to a friend and from the jams and preserves pages I sent some jams and preserves to go with the cakes and specifically asked that they get shipped together to the same household. Well the cake arrived one week the jams the another.mwa mwa mwa mwaaaaa... FAILED. So I don't use them anymore. Not to mention it looks like your giving these huge baskets and when you see them they're embarrassingly small and admittedly sometimes crappy and these are not from cheap places.

Dec. 10 2009 10:52 AM
Suzanne from Yorkville

I love Cook's Illustrated. It is fun to read, not at all esoteric the way one of your guests suggested. The recipes feel very accessible, and I have learned to cook, partly with that magazine. (I used to hate cooking.) My husband, who is a much fancier cook, also loves it.

Dec. 10 2009 10:52 AM
zannah from brooklyn

This year I'm giving jars of amazing locally made Brooklyn jam by Anarchy in a Jar. http://www.anarchyinajar.com/
These jams are made in small batches and can be ordered for personal hand delivery within Brooklyn! Their Plum Port jam is the most delicious thing I have ever tasted!

Dec. 10 2009 10:52 AM
bernard joseph from brooklyn

brian-
the best gift you can give me and the rest of the audience is to make this cackling come to an end as quickly as possible. i and everyone i know who is a fan of yours can't change the dial quick enough when these women are on your show.
please make it stop!

Dec. 10 2009 10:50 AM
Mike

My mother in law used to send us homemade Kim chi through regular mail. It stunk so bad that the post woman would make special trips to our house so they could get it out of the post office.

Dec. 10 2009 10:50 AM
art525 from park slope

How lame. These two have the mistaken impression that they are cool and "sassy". And the title of the book is crass.

Dec. 10 2009 10:50 AM
Joyce Weiner from 286 Spring Street

The best food gifts come from Manhattan Fruitier! I've given them to my clients for years and they always love them!

Dec. 10 2009 10:50 AM