Same Sex Marriage Bill Dies in Senate

Friday, December 04, 2009

Less than twelve hours after the New York State Assembly passed the marriage equality bill for the third time since 2007, the Senate killed it. Ken Lovett, Albany Bureau Chief for the Daily News, reflects on the vote and budget negotiations in Albany.

Ken Lovett

Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

hjs - absolutely - great point - the Republicans screw their supporters almost as much as the Dems do.

We may not seem to agree on much, but I really appreciate your honesty, passion and humor. I know that you are a good and well intentioned person.

On this “marriage” matter it is important for me to state again that I want Gays to have civil rights; that’s why I would happily trade in my State Marriage License for a Civil Union License and let the religious people who married us issue a religious marriage certificate.

If we don't interact again soon, please accept my best wishes for happy, healthy, successful and peaceful holidays and new year for you and your family.

Dec. 04 2009 02:39 PM
hjs from 11211

24] darryl
i like to hear the views of the american taliban. calls can keep his nutty views coming he palin cheney are driving the moderates rights out of the GOP! and more power to them. long live amerika!

calls
and the antichoice people keep on voting for the GOP while abortion is still legal (even after gop had all power 2000-2006 ROFLOL)
americans never learn, i guess…

Dec. 04 2009 02:17 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

hjs - the same group of Dems that have promised you gay rights and better urban conditions yet have failed to deliver on both, now doesn't believe that you have the right to defend yourself (gun control) or the right to free speech ala the fascist Obama push on "community standards" for radio, TV and even private cable and the private internet. Big Brother is watching and he’s coming for us and he’s against gay marriage.

Democrat interest groups are being played off against each other and never get what they are promised, yet year after year, they continue to vote like zombies for this same corrupt and lying bunch. Here’s another example, one out of many: Union members vote for the Dems even though they want to take democracy away from the members by forcing “card check” on them.

Dec. 04 2009 02:07 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

Darryl - lol

hjs - Why don't you take to the streets, just don't cry like a baby like Quinn (that's the end of her career). If she can't take this little set-back, how can she be Mayor? Answer: she can’t and never will be Mayor.

PS - state issue or not Obama's anti-gay marriage comments may have tipped the vote in California. I don't hate him I just think he is a radical, incompetent and technically not a US citizen (PS - if he was a productive person and competent I wouldn’t care where he was born).

The gay community is like the urban Black community in that they keep voting for the same old promises from the same old Dems who just haven't delivered on those promises. Urban conditions are still horrible despite 45 years of Democrats in power in major cities and gay rights proceeds at a snails pace even in NYC.

Dec. 04 2009 01:53 PM
darryl from Brooklyn

As I'm sure I'll confirm once I get home from work and can listen to the podcast, Brian's show is always good.

However, I get really uncomfortable with the comments under the article, particularly this "callsem" from Virginia. The person rambles on under nearly every story that s/he can like an unbroken stream of invective against Barack Obama, liberals and so on. S/he is not a commentor, just an unhinged individual with no other outlet to relate his/her ideas to the world. S/he should get a blog and release his/her stranglehold on this comment board.

Dec. 04 2009 01:46 PM
hjs from 11211

20] Calls'em
what? yes?

21 SO state issue!!

Dec. 04 2009 01:16 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

Obama is against gay marriage, not based on the word marriage but based on the gay act, yet he received about 98% of the "gay" vote. He has done nothing for them since taking office.

I think the gay community should re-evaluate their support for Obama and those folks like Chuck Schumer or Tony Weiner who strongly support an avowed enemy of the gay community.

Dec. 04 2009 01:10 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

hjs - do you believe that you have a right to self defense in your bundle of civil rights?

Dec. 04 2009 01:04 PM
hjs from 11211

calls
history will judge what is 'morally dishonest' not us. to correct another myth from the right people: are born straight or gay, there is "self-selecting group" (or when did u self-select)

everyone should be fightiing for civil rights for all. as i've said we are born with our human rights. we don't get them from voters or todays politicians.

Dec. 04 2009 12:40 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

hjs - and the majority can vote or have their reps vote to define social conditions for society that affects any self-selecting group unless it is a protected class. It is an insult to every black person who was ever wrongly enslaved to equate sexual preference with that horrific era. It's like Obama comparing the Holocaust to the current situation of some of the Arabs living in Israel. It’s factually and morally dishonest.

Dec. 04 2009 12:16 PM
hjs from 11211

truth
"gay is not a group " define group please?
are there other "non groups" that should not have rights?

ps anyone can group

Dec. 04 2009 11:55 AM
hjs from 11211

truth
i think dr king said none of us is free until all of us are free. do his dreams matter any more.

i know what u have said i just hope one day u will see your hate and change. i have faith anyone can change.

Dec. 04 2009 11:51 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

HJS--I know the definition and gay is not a group it is a sexual preference, I have said this many times that this is whay I believe.

Dec. 04 2009 11:43 AM
hjs from 11211

truth,
not a minority group? of course and the easter bunny laid an egg and out popped adam and eva!

"A minority is a sociological group that does not constitute a politically dominant voting majority of the total population of a given society....t may include any group that is subnormal with respect to a dominant group in terms of social status, education, employment, wealth and political power. " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group

Dec. 04 2009 11:37 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

HJS relax...gays are not a minority group- sexual preference is not a group - are u in a straight minority group?

Dec. 04 2009 11:28 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

To all my leftist friends on this board: Obama is against gay marriage and has said so on many occassions.

Dec. 04 2009 11:25 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

Annnnd HJS - free speech, that is what is right with AMERICA!

Dec. 04 2009 11:25 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

HJS - note I said #1 & #2 - That is how I still feel, relax

Dec. 04 2009 11:24 AM
hjs from 11211

the truth!!
nice, you would ally with a hateful birther obama hater to do harm to a minority.

that's what wrong with america!

Dec. 04 2009 11:03 AM
artista from greenpoint

every time a politician or esp reporter mentions the MANHATTAN INSTITUTE or its "ilk," Brian should ask, "And what do the PROGRESSIVE or LEFT of center sources say?

Dec. 04 2009 11:00 AM
hjs from 11211

Calls'em
and if we put human rights to popular vote you could still own slaves in VA!

Dec. 04 2009 10:59 AM
the truth!! from BKNY

Cant believe I agree with Calls em on on #1 & #2! lol

Dec. 04 2009 10:56 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

SM - civil unions can be dissolved. Marriages can have divorces.

If my state told me that my state marriage license could be changed to a civil union license, I would immediately do so to support the civil rights of the gay community, but I will not support gay “marriage.” It is not a civil right to misuse a word.

I have nothing against the "gayness" just against use of the word marriage. I do believe that by a slight majority, the country is against gay people, but I also feel that a majority of the country would vote for civil unions because Americans are generally fair and give people a chance. They will not vote for gay marriages and have not done so in 30 states.

Dec. 04 2009 10:55 AM
Laura from Westchester

I disagree with the previous commenter, others' unions do not impact or lessen yours. When I saw the pictures of newly married samesex couples their glowing happiness just made me smile. Have some generosity in your heart.

Why not do this: religious marriage and secular marriage. Each religion can marry gay couples or not as their beliefs warrent. Both marriages have the same rights, responsibilities and priviliges under the law. I know some, like commenter #1, bristle at calling gay unions "marriages" but you can have a mental reservation that it is not a "real" marriage and let life go on!

Would the NYS Senate vote for my proposal?

Dec. 04 2009 10:48 AM
sm

"Marriage is between a man and a woman. Words have meaning."

So Langley, I assume you are in favor of outlawing divorce? Words have meaning, right?

Dec. 04 2009 10:34 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

Brian, why always asking about race? It is racist for you to do so.

Dec. 04 2009 10:31 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from Langley, VA

This guy Addabbo is a hero, he voted to represent his district. That's what representational democracy is about.

Gays need to know that a majority of the country including folks in NYS are against gay marriage. It has failed in 30 states where the people were allowed to vote.

New York should allow the people to speak (something that Lenny and now Brian don't often allow) and have a vote on the issue.

I am for Civil Unions and I think most people in America would vote for that, but the use of the word "marriage" is just wrong. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Words have meaning.

A boat is not a plane or a car though all three get you somewhere.

Civil Unions give all the rights and status of marriage. That's the way it is.

If need be make all state “marriages” civil unions and let churches and synagogues grant religious marriage licenses.

Dec. 04 2009 10:29 AM