Your Uncommon Economic Resolutions

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Urban planner Amy Schoeman follows up with us about her job hunt since she posted to Your Uncommon Economic Indicators about losing her job in Dubai.

Has the 2009 Recession made you wiser? Tell us your Economic Resolution for 2010!

Amy Schoeman

Julian Jackson from Brooklyn

I hope that President Obama will get the ball rolling on the development of the new technologies that will power the green economy. The US is rapidly slipping behind other countries in the manufacture and use of solar and wind devices. There are surely many good manufacturing jobs to be created in this vital area. The defense department should not be the only source of jobs in this country.

Dec. 03 2009 11:57 AM
greg caulfield from New York

I mad 2 mill on a trust, and the celtics,

Dec. 03 2009 11:56 AM
Janet from 10014/12401

I resolved to be a better tipper.

Dec. 03 2009 11:35 AM
Sam from Brooklyn

My economic resolution is to invest in myself. And by that I mean I managed to save about 10k in 2008 (roughly 25% of my income after taxes), yet the majority of it evaporated in the stock market.

I'm not talking about buying superficial things either. I don't need a large television or an iPhone. I want to buy things that will improve the quality of my life such as a nice warm winter coat, a new bed, and perhaps spend some money on traveling and hobby classes. Maybe even a good set of knives (I like cooking).

Most of all, I'll never invest money again unless I'm prepared to lose it. Funny, that's the same mantra I have before entering a casino...

Dec. 03 2009 11:30 AM
kp from nj

When we bought a house and those mortgage brokers told us how large a mortgage they would give us we looked at them like they were nuts. Turns out they were....

Dec. 03 2009 11:27 AM
mozo from nyc

I wonder if the airport garages are still full of abandoned luxury cars. A lot of ex-pats left these cars and then fled the country. Your guest didn't mention that it is a criminal offence to not pay your debts in Dubai.

Dec. 03 2009 11:23 AM
Mike from Manhattan

As well as in Dubai, Amy's story occurs here in New York too. I was wooed to join Bloomberg News. It took over 7 months last year from the point I was offered the position to the formal final interview by the head of Bloomberg News that is required for every single Bloomberg News hire. Matt Winkler is busy but insists on a two-minute interview with every hire before the hire may begin work. Two months and five days after I was hired, I was laid off in Bloomberg's first layoffs ever. I too have enormous student loan debt, and I empathize with Amy.

Dec. 03 2009 11:20 AM
Roberta from Bedford-Stuyvesant

No taxis!

Dec. 03 2009 11:19 AM
Daniel Fiege from Beacon, NY

The development in Dubai is a blight upon this earth. While Masdar is an amazing idea, its effort is cancelled out by the worthless, environmentally-painful properties built in the Palms and World projects. A good resolution would be campaigning for development to become one of the top 5 issues in everyone's minds and hearts in America and the world.

Dec. 03 2009 11:18 AM
markbnj from www.sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

My economic forecast for 2010?

We will finally call a spade a spade and start
calling this DEPRESSION 2.0

Dec. 03 2009 11:18 AM
downtonwn from downtown

Why don't you ask her about the virtual slave labor that is building this country; about the workers living conditions; about the debt rules, etc. This country is not a haven it is an embarrassment.

Dec. 03 2009 11:15 AM
YUEI Editor from WNYC

While we always welcome your comments on the show, we hope you will post your Uncommon Economic Resolutions for 2010 on the website dedicated to our project. You can find the page, and the easy form, if you follow the link above.

Thanks!