Season's Eatings: Entertaining on a Budget

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Authors of Forking Fantastic!: Put the Party Back in Dinner Party, Zora O'Neill and Tamara Reynolds, start their weekly December visits with advice on holiday entertaining on a budget.

Zora and Tamara offer a non-budget-busting recipe for "crack ham". Check it out here.

Event
Book Signing and holiday shopping party tonight at Site Design, 35-11 34th Ave, in Astoria, 6-9pm.

Zora O’Neill and Tamara Reynolds

Jad Fiend from Manhattan

Jane -

What makes it a "nonword"?

Dec. 03 2009 11:08 AM
Jane Byron from Morris Plains, NJ

Brian, I love you but it just killed me to hear you use the nonword "incentivize."

Dec. 03 2009 11:02 AM
Ashton from Chelsea, Manhattan

In defense of the wine bringer who drinks your best vodka or scotch, while I often bring wine to homes when I know that the party giver is not a big booze drinker -- which they can save, give away or take to somebody's else's party -- I am famously known for always bringing a small bottle of mixed gin and tonic (in an empty water bottle) in my bag for my own consumption (usually, one or two predinner drinks). My friends used to raise eyebrows but now they tell me where the ice is. ;-)

Dec. 03 2009 11:01 AM
sm

I've also used the pickle ornament tradition as a party game...the first guest to find the pickle ornament receives an envelope of scratch-offs (or something like that).

Dec. 03 2009 10:57 AM
Tina Bissell from Ann Arbor Michigan

I once asked guests to turn around and drive my son to another party! We were celebrating his bar mitzvah but he was invited to someone else's bat mitzvah party. btw... no one noticed that the Bar mitzvah boy wasn't even at our party!

Dec. 03 2009 10:56 AM
Richard Lee from Park Slope

Brian -

I protest! What is this "all women" thing? We had a relatively small Thanksgiving (32 people this year) at my folks, and this dutiful son brought cutlery, cheese, pie, moved furniture, mashed an industrial vat of potatos, and replaced furniture back.

Dec. 03 2009 10:55 AM
sm

Go with a box wine!

Dec. 03 2009 10:54 AM
Yvonne durant

Our blog is called yvonneandyvettetiquette, we're twins.

Dec. 03 2009 10:52 AM
nick from brooklyn

Do these guests really want to trim the tree? To make their grandmother's trifle? Or, rather, do they just claim to want to do these things to seem a little less scrooge-like? Don't underestimate people's ability to make promises they have no intention of keeping. Especially family members. And ESPECIALLY when, as you say, there's 45 extra bottles of wine sitting around!

Dec. 03 2009 10:51 AM
Rob from The Bronx

Whoa Brian, you need to expand the parties that you go to. I have been to several parties where there were men helping.

Dec. 03 2009 10:51 AM
Yvonne durant

On our blog, we always recommend that people bring what they drink. Nothing worse than a guest who brings a bottle of wine and goes after the vodka.

Dec. 03 2009 10:50 AM
the truth! from BKNY

I assigned someone to bring bagged ICE!! LOL

Dec. 03 2009 10:49 AM
Betty Anne from UES

I make a sangria that is really great but very inexpensive. It serves 50.

This year I'm making an "ice sculpture" basically freezing some cheap holiday decorations in an ice block with votive candles on top.

Dec. 03 2009 10:49 AM