Advocating for New Jerseyans

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ronald K. Chen, New Jersey Public Advocate, discusses foreclosures, gay marriage and other issues important to the people of the state.

Ronald K. Chen
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Colette Carr from Queens

You miss the point when it comes to NYC rent stabilized tenants whose buildings were bought by private equity firms with over leveraged loans PEs were hoping to cash in on the market rate apt boom However some of these new landlords are starting to default on their loans What is NYC's plan when the property goes to foreclosure?

Nov. 25 2009 10:56 AM
D from New York City

I went through this with an last apartment last month. I could write a book about what I went through, it was horrific. The girl I was renting from hadn't paid the rent in months. I found out when the Marshall knocked on the door with an eviction notice. There is NO protection in New York City, they told me at the courthouse that I was SOL. Didn't matter that I had paid her the rent. We had a six day notice to get out.

She was mad because I opened the door when the Marshall came and blamed me for the eviciton??? We were threatend by her, she broke into the apartment twice, stole one of my roomates things, broke the front door down and the police were NO help at all. It was one of the worst experiences of my life and I almost left NYC for good because of it.

Nov. 25 2009 10:20 AM
Robert from NYC

should he be talking to you from his car?????

Nov. 25 2009 10:12 AM
Alex from Brooklyn

its easy to kick someone out in NJ.

They dont like tenants there

Nov. 25 2009 10:11 AM
but don't cut my services from 07060

who can cut my property taxes???

Nov. 25 2009 10:08 AM
George from Bay Ridge

Why have we never heard of the New Jersey public advocate until now?

What does the public advocate think of the ongoing situation with the New Jersey Nets?

How will the public advocate use social networking to reach out to the community?

What does the advocate think of the government's response to the H1N1 flu problem?

Nov. 25 2009 04:11 AM