Hungry in New York

Friday, November 20, 2009

Aine Duggan, The Food Bank for New York City's vice president of Research, Policy & Education, and Nurah Amat'ullah, executive director of the Islamic Women's Institute for Research and Development, discuss hunger in New York and demand at food pantries across the city.

Nurah Amat'ullah and Áine Duggan

Eugenia Rensskoff from Williamsburgh, Brooklyn

I am Eugenia Renskoff and I go to the soup kitchen on 51st. between Park and Lexington Avenues. I would have called this morning, but I don’t have a phone. Because of my mortgage fraud/foreclosure situation in Atlanta, GA over 4 years ago, my life has changed so dramatically that I have to cut down on everything, including food. I am deeply grateful to St. Bart’s Church and the soup kitchen volunteers. There is no kitchen where I live and the food I get from the soup kitchen has fed me for over 1 and a half years.

Nov. 20 2009 01:00 PM
Pamela Boyle from The Bronx

Just listened to "Hungry in NY" in my car.

My daughter took a one-year maternity leave, and my son-in-law lost his job about two or three months ago. Like so many other people, he hasn't been able to find another job. They applied for and received food stamps--their food stamp allotment is $36.00 a week for two adults and one baby!!! Guess who helps them out: Grandma.

I know I don't have to say here that $36 a week for food for three is totally unrealistic.

Just this morning I was thinking about writing a letter about this to the "person in charge" at the City agency which oversees the food stamp program (the top official). Perhaps you can give me his/her name and address.

Nov. 20 2009 12:51 PM
Elena from LIC

A caller mentioned "Angel Food" and I want to alert hungry New Yorkers that a cursory check of the web site (https://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0912en2.asp) shows they do NOT offer discounts on food.

The food boxes offered are stocked with french fries, processed chicken nuggets and fish sticks--and small quantities, at that--despite thee carefully art-directed photos make them look bountiful.

Someone at Angel Food Ministries is profiting by "feeding" hungry people, it seems to me. Paying full price or using food stamps, and shopping carefully at local markets and greenmarkets, afford much better bang for the buck, both in nutrition and better price per pound.

Nov. 20 2009 12:12 PM
Julie from Clintondale, NY

I'm a recent city resident and new apple grower in upstate NY. I have a lot of fruit left on my trees and no good way to get it off the trees and into the hands of people who need it. I will be contacting my local food banks, but if anyone out there wants to organize a group to come up and pick, I would love to donate as many apples as I have. I can be reached at julie (at) littledogorchard.com

We are about 90 minutes north of the city.

Nov. 20 2009 11:55 AM
Lori from Montclair, NJ

This is for Montclair area. If you have needs or if you wish to donate, please contact them.

They are collecting frozen turkeys through Tuesday. (Check your Shop Rite receipt, you probably have a free one you can donate!)

Nov. 20 2009 11:50 AM
plp

Well to continue with the logic of that comment about throwing food at the problem being a band-aid, go a step farther we don't need more social programs we need damn jobs so that we can make our own way in the world. Oh, right the recession is offically over and wall street is booming....yaaayyyy for the jobless recovery!

Nov. 20 2009 11:47 AM
sissy from red hook

It would be really helpful to list here (and comment on the show) where we can donate food. Looked for a box at Brooklyn Fairway and surprised not to see one. Thanks

Nov. 20 2009 11:35 AM