No Logo: One Decade Later

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Journalist and activist Naomi Klein discusses the ten-year anniversary of the release of her landmark book NO LOGO: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies.

Naomi Klein

Courtney Bolton from blog.courtneybolton.com

Thank you! Very interesting.

Nov. 21 2009 02:07 AM
Ann, NJ from NJ

Naomi Klein has again proven herself to be one of the brightest and most articulate thinkers/writers of my generation.

I, too, lived half my twenties and half my thirties between No Logo's first publication and now. And yes, now in many ways I have fallen victim to self-preoccupation with two small children around.

Yet, her and Kalle Lasn's emphasis on consumer activism, "culture jamming" and other self-created campaigns has shaped my approach to the way I teach, interact with my community, and try to live my values. My six year-old understands why commercials appear on tv. It has also inspired me to get my college class debating "Buy Nothing Day" (in a recession, in a class where two of the inner city women are self-professed shopaholics). It has inspired me to try to create a new way of educating children in my town that adds more self-directed learning and "whole child" approaches. My generation knew they were the "target market" in a whole up-the-anted kind of way, but Klein encouraged us to actively find alternatives. Because when you do, you can get through a recession more easily. When you question, you find the creative and cultural capital to live in a different way.

Thanks for having her on, and please devote a segment on Nov. 28th to "After the Recession: Will You Buy Nothing on Buy Nothing Day?"

Nov. 20 2009 12:13 AM
Laura from UWS

Klain's critique of corporate culture is spot-on, but she misses the mark re: Obama. I'm not
sure how she thinks he's supposed to get a more progressive agenda through congress. Either you have the votes in the Senate or you don't. There's not much he can offer Republicans or even at this point moderate Democrats to offset the influence of corporate money. Meaningful campaign finance reform is impossible thanks to Bucky vs. Vallejo.

If there are people taking to streets to pressure him from the left I've missed it. The poor and working classes are not politicized in this country in the way they are in other developed countries and we don't have a parlimentary system. Short of abolishing the Senate I'm not sure what can be done about any of this. She seems to be yearning for a mass movement that hasn't and probably won't materialize.

Nov. 19 2009 01:57 PM
George from NYC

I am bit surprised by N. Klein radical socialistic orientation.... I am born in a former Communist country and I saw what a public system can lead to. Additionally, I saw the failure of social-democracy in Western Europe. I sincerely think that N. Klein provides a nonfunctional solution for the current crisis. i am rwally worry that US is ready to abandon the private system in the favor of public socialistic system that will probably terminate the economy. The solution is not in socialism as Klein thinks but in a much more sophisticated economical system.
Thank you.
George

Nov. 19 2009 11:44 AM
Andy from Brooklyn

Mark [17], that still doesn't make it OK to pay and treat those workers so poorly. I think the point behind opposition to those factories is that the average American doesn't realize that much of what he consumes, he can only consume at such a low price because someone is being exploited.

Nov. 19 2009 11:36 AM
iamwilljames@hotmail.comNeitherHereNorThere from Manahattan

Perfect criticism of Obama.

Nov. 19 2009 11:34 AM
Robert from NYC (formally Hell and previous to that NYC)

Brava Naomi, come back soon!

Nov. 19 2009 11:33 AM
Mark

This whole thing sounds old in this new era. Complaining about women working in factories in China making iPhones? Those are good jobs compared to subsistence rice farming! In the 90s times were so good no one wanted manufacturing jobs and looked down on them as horrible drudgery for low wages. These days people would love to live in an iPhone factory! That's good work! Those women are more empowered than bending over barefoot in a rice field!

Nov. 19 2009 11:32 AM
Daniel from Munich

I know a lot of young (struggling) journalists, and I've noticed that they only write positive reviews, be it of music, clothing, technology, books, or whatnot. Even when they think the product isn't good, they feel that a negative opinion won't get them the job. And now I notice that you don't see many negative reviews of products in major newspapers. This is a more insidious form of advertising infiltrating news.

Nov. 19 2009 11:30 AM
Robert from NYC (formally Hell and previous to that NYC)

Also on Obama's disappointing us, as it were, listen to today's Democracy Now's last segment with Robert Scheer. Perfect match for what Naomi is talking about now.

Nov. 19 2009 11:30 AM
JOHN OTTERNESS from san pedro, ca

The hiway adoption program is direct evidence of the decline of Democracy - befiore , if we thought it imortant we used tax dollars to hire someone so it was from all of us - now someone does their section but has no responsibility for the rest - as long as mine looks good, I'm happy!! Thanks Ron Reagan

Nov. 19 2009 11:30 AM
jim

nice, using an analogy of abuse of 14 year old girls to critique the President.
Weak, intellectual mumbo jumob, when strength of logic is so despearately needed to discuss this topic.

Nov. 19 2009 11:30 AM
Jennifer from NYC

So great to listen to such an intelligent person - thank you so much

Nov. 19 2009 11:29 AM
Robert from NYC (formally Hell and previous to that NYC)

I told you she's on the ball and on the mark too!

Nov. 19 2009 11:27 AM
Ian from Bronx

I remember that the protests after Seattle in 99 (in Banff, AB, and Montreal, QC and in Rome) really seemed to be ramping up the pressure on these global organizations, but the protest movement really disappeared after 9/111.

How did fears of (domestic) terrorism change the protest movement?

Nov. 19 2009 11:26 AM
Megan from New York

Like Naomi, I grew up Montreal in the 70s/80s.90s and now live in NYC. Unlike her, however, my life has really changed since the first publication of No Logo. I am no longer protesting, or trying to engage in public dialogue on these issues. And I am more interested in my own little life as I approach middle age. I wish there were more people my own age to inspire me back to being more active, but I feel discouraged and complacent. Thanks for coming on the air and reinvigourating my mind somewhat.

Nov. 19 2009 11:25 AM
john from office

I hope she has an opinion on the violence. Why the violence?

Nov. 19 2009 11:22 AM
pete from Brooklyn

Where do you shop Ms Klein? It is hard to know which companies are treating workers/environment fairly with so much green washing going around.

Nov. 19 2009 11:22 AM
pete from Brooklyn

Nov. 19 2009 11:22 AM
Shana from Clinton Hill/Fort Greene, Brooklyn

I remember my sophomore year in high school ('96 or '97) Channel One was doing a "report" on China's treatment of Tibet or something along those lines. One of my classmates and I started discussing whether or not the U.S. should be involved in preventing things like genocide or restrictions on people's freedoms. Oddly enough, we both ended up getting chewed out by our teacher because we were supposed to be watching Channel One and not trying to have an intelligent conversation about the world we live in. It was pretty sad.

Nov. 19 2009 11:19 AM
John from Bklyn

I read that Adidas pulled a deal with the University of Central Florida because Michael Jordan's kid wears Nike and refused to wear Adidas. The sneaker companies now seem to own the players AND the college sports programs!

---
---

Nov. 19 2009 11:16 AM
david from brooklyn

Where did NAFTA, WTO, GATT and free trade ethos fit into the issues of NoLogo

Nov. 19 2009 11:12 AM
Brandon from Brooklyn

Please ask Naomi Klein about the 10th anniversary of the WTO protests in Seattle (November 30th, or N30). That event is often portrayed as an anarchist riot, as opposed to the largely peaceful, non-violent direct action and well organized mass convergence that it was. Also marked the founding of Indymedia, and the arrival of the global justice movement in the US.
What is the state of contemporary protest today, and how has that movement effected the conversation about (corporate) globalization? Did the movement give Joseph Stiglitz the cover to come clean on the WTO in his book "Globalization and Its Discontents"?

Nov. 19 2009 10:38 AM
Robert from NYC (formally Hell and previous to that NYC)

I wish I were Naomi Klein. There are few who can articulate their own thoughts as well as she does. She is brilliant, well-informed, bright, on the ball, see I just can't articulate it all as well as she does, AND she has great teeth too which make for a great smile. She's as close to perfect as you can get.

Nov. 19 2009 10:23 AM