David Dinkins on Governing the City

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Former New York City Mayor David Dinkins talks about his memoir, A Mayor’s Life: Governing New York’s Gorgeous Mosaic. Dinkins, the son of a barber and a domestic worker, grew up in Harlem and Trenton and became the 106th mayor of New York City, in office from 1990 to 1993.

David Dinkins

Michael from CT

The anecdote about his wife "..no, he would be Mayor". Made me laugh out loud.

Sep. 18 2013 12:44 PM
Math is your friend

Sorry...745,852 for the Rangers. I was looking at last year's lockout reduced numbers.

Sep. 18 2013 12:30 PM
Math is your friend

[[In my previous comment, I should have added that the two week Open brings in more money to the public coffers than all other NY pro sports teams and events combined in one year.
Sep. 17 2013 01:57 PM]]

There's no way that that is possible...five million attendance between the mets and yanks, 1.4 million knicks/nets, 400K rangers, 40K for the marathon.

The open drew 720K, vs 6.8 million for "all other NY pro sports teams and events combined in one year."

Sep. 18 2013 12:26 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Sep. 17 2013 01:57 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Dinkins came too soon. He would have been okay now, but not 20 years ago. The city was too crime-ridden and we had to have some "Giuliani time" first. Then came Bloomberg to put the city on a sound fiscal basis. Let's only hope the city doesn't slide back. That's the easy way to go, backwards.

Sep. 17 2013 01:57 PM
Tony from Canarsie

I never got the smug media criticism of Mayor Dinkins over his support of the US Open. From what I understand, the two week Open reaps more money for the public coffers than all other NY pro sports teams and events combined.

antonio -- Mayor Dinkins also made brought on Ray Kelly as the commish of police, and who instituted several overdue reforms in the NYPD.

Sep. 17 2013 01:49 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I heartily agree with Mayor Dinkins in the matter of dressing appropriately for functions and events.

My husband and I got married at the Brooklyn Municipal Building and the clerk who officiated at our marriage wore jeans and a polo shirt. I found that quite offensive, especially at our wedding.

In these days of casual everything - dress, language, addressing a person by first name - we need to take stock and start showing some respect for others. Dressing appropriately is a start.

Sep. 17 2013 01:48 PM
Bob from Pelham, NY

@ Antonio: Your memory is incorrect. It was Mayor Giuliani who appointed Bill Bratton as Police Commissioner. Actually, the last PC under Mayor Dinkins was Ray Kelly, who was dumped by Mayor Giuliani and then brought back by Mayor Bloomberg. Mayor Dinkins should get credit for convincing the state legislature to finance the hiring of 5,000 additional police officers.

Sep. 17 2013 01:45 PM
Amy from Manhattan

antonio: Yes, & crime started to go down during Mayor Dinkins's term, when community policing was first put into practice.

Sep. 17 2013 01:42 PM
Joe from Bayside

You may be interested to know that parts of southern NJ - around Cape May - is, in fact, south of the Mason-Dixon line. South Jersey, being so close to Maryland, has a southern influence in some ways. Whitesboro was settled by escaped slaves and Cape May was also a station on the underground RR..

Sep. 17 2013 01:37 PM
antonio from BaySIde

I am always amazed when the subject of the turnaround of New York comes up, how uniformed people are...especially New Yorkers! Mayor Giuliani constantly gets praise about the reduction in crime. While sociologists argue about what caused this reduction, Mayor Dinkins should get the credit here. Wasn't Mayor Dinkins who picked Bill Bratton creator of comstat?

Sep. 17 2013 01:34 PM