New York City's Comptroller: John Liu

Friday, November 06, 2009

The first Asian-American elected to city-wide office, John Liu, New York City comptroller-elect, explains what he plans to accomplish in the next four years.

Comptroller John Liu

Mira from Greenwich Village

Please Brian, stop pronouncing the "P" in comptroller. No matter which etymology you use, the "p" entered from the French, and the "p" is silent in French, pronounced like a nasalized "n." In fact, according to my French linguistic books, the original word was "contes" in use in the 12th century and the p was added sometime between the 13th and 15th centuries. In either case, the "p" would remain silent, as it is today in modern French. You might want to pass this on to Mr. Liu

Nov. 07 2009 11:59 AM
M C Roberts from Downtown NYC

Please tell everyone that the "P" in comptroller is silent. It's either COMtroller or CONtroller. I constantly hear this mispronunciation here, including by John Liu himself.

Best regards
C Roberts

Nov. 06 2009 11:03 AM
adam

seems that the correct pronunciation is identical to "controller." according to wikipedia.

Etymology

The term comptroller evolved in the 15th century through a blend of the Middle English countreroller (someone who checks a copy of a scroll, from the French contreroule "counter-roll, scroll copy") and the French compte ("an account"), thus creating a title for a compteroller who specializes in checking financial ledgers.[1][2] This etymology explains why the name is pronounced identically to "controller" despite the unique spelling. However, comptroller is often pronounced phonetically in modern times, by those unaware of its heady origin[3].

Nov. 06 2009 10:41 AM
tax bleeder from The city of New York

Brian,

Push him on the City Council, many of the 51 members were reelected for a third term. Is Lui independent or a party hack?

Nov. 06 2009 10:41 AM
hjs from 11211

6] john from office that's so racist. you need to control yourself!

Nov. 06 2009 10:41 AM
Kathleen from manhattan

Does the comptroller know that the NYC TRS has reversed all its direct deposits to pensioners this morning?

Nov. 06 2009 10:37 AM
john from office

Change, everyone at the table, I am waiting for him to use the word empower and empowerment

Another empty suit, filled with the right phrases.

Nov. 06 2009 10:37 AM
Rich from Staten Island

I hope Mr. Liu can address the issue of municipal workers and the use of overtime pay. This has inflated pension costs for NYC for years to come. NYC civil servants have really taken advantage of this component of their compensation. Instead hire more workers compareed to overtime pay.

Nov. 06 2009 10:35 AM
Robert from NYC

Didn't mean to imply you took any offers made just implying I'm sure he has tried or will. I trust you Mr. Liu I question his morals not yours. Sorry if I left the wrong impression. I voted for you.

Nov. 06 2009 10:35 AM
kirsten from Brooklyn

according to my dictionary, interestingly, the word came from an misunderstanding:

ORIGIN late 15th cent.: variant of controller, by erroneous association with French compte ‘calculation’ or its source, late Latin computus.

Nov. 06 2009 10:32 AM
Robert from NYC

How much money did the Mayor offer you to do what he wants? Seems he paid everybody else.

Nov. 06 2009 10:31 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

Why do New York liberals keep electing lightweights like Liu, corrupt people like Rangel, socialists like Weiner and morally challenged people like Spitzer to office.

The greatest city in the world has the worst taste in elected officials.

Nov. 06 2009 10:31 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

Brian, can you please ask Mr. Liu about his socialist leanings? From what people in NYC tell me he has held such views for a long time. Now that he is in control of the city's money, this may lead to irrational and unprofessional decision making.

From what I hear from people I know in his district, he seems to be a nice guy, but he is far from the brightest bulb. Can you please ask him to restate his resume, including schooling and grades, and what else really qualifies him to hold this important job? This is important and may be useful in a recall petition, remember the fate of millions of poor liberals is now in his hands.

I don’t think working in a sweatshop qualifies him for anything.

Nov. 06 2009 10:28 AM
judith L. Goldstein from Manhattan

I voted for John Lui in the primaries.
I voted for Mayor Bloomberg on the Independent Line.
I believe it is necessary for John Lui to accept Mayor Bloomberg's invitation to meet with him to mend fences and I think it is foolish of Comptroller Lui to refuse. He will not get my vote next time around if he continues with this position.

Nov. 06 2009 07:27 AM