Vote 2009: The Morning After

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Christine Todd Whitman, former New Jersey governor and president of The Whitman Strategy Group, an environmental consultancy firm, talks about what faces Chris Christie as the first Republican governor in eight years for the Garden State. Then Bob Hennelly, WNYC's senior political reporter, reviews the NYC mayoral election and what Mayor Mike Bloomberg's third term will mean for the city.

Bob Hennelly and Christine Todd Whitman

Howard S. from The Borough Dreams -- Queens

Oh no. Did Brother Brian really malign the lever machines? I hope not, but I'll have to catch the midnight replay or that Pod thingy. If so, he needs to be educated.

Brother Brian,

NY will NOT be relying on paper ballots, as claimed by some NY election officials. As soon as there are more than a handful of such ballots, they'll all be counted by computers -- just like in Florida! Here are some excerpts from my recent testimony to the State Senate and Assembly Elections Committees on this very subject:

"Our Election Law provides no right to a post-election-night recount of all the paper ballots cast at the polls. The Election Law § 9-208 recanvass is not a recount, but merely a comparison of the reported [ballot] scanner tallies, to paper copies of the same tallies --
up to two weeks after the election. Obviously, such a recanvass can neither detect nor correct erroneous or fraudulent tallies produced by [ballot] scanner software within the Election District on election day. ....

"Not only does our Election Law lack a provision for larger random audits of closer races, it also has no provision for targeted investigations of anomalous results in particular Election Districts. And although the
law says that a 'complete audit' can be used to determine the winner of an election, it has no definition of 'complete audit.' The law is being read by the State Board of Elections as if a 'complete audit' means an audit of only a single county! Thus a statewide or other multi-county contest may be decided by a hand
count of only a single county!"

Can somebody say Bush v. Gore?

And they said it couldn't happen here. Fix the election law or keep the levers!

Read more at:

Nov. 04 2009 10:16 PM
superf88 from

Not sure if Whitman is as just a goofball or seriously cynical:

When lots of ex politicians and insiders get publicly hauled off to prison, it ain't a sign of a corrupt administration but a marker of the exact opposite. Under corrupt administrations insiders do NOT go to prison.

That so many white collar crooks went to prison on Corzine's watch was for me his biggest accomplishment.

Nov. 04 2009 09:34 PM
Helen Hamilton from NJ

The only reason that I voted for Chris Christie is because he has taken a stand for vaccine choice. I have been a strong Democrat for many years and I support Obama, but I feel so strongly that people should have a choice when it come to what goes into their bodies and especially not be forced to be vacinated, that I felt I had to vote for Chris Christie. I don't think the newsmedia wants to recognize that this could be the REAL reason that Christie won in NJ. I think that there are a lot more people who feel very strongly about this than what the press is ready to acknowledge.

Nov. 04 2009 06:00 PM
Martha from NJ

Christy Todd Whitman? Is this a joke? Whitman's income tax cuts and looting of the state pension fund helped put us in the economic mess we are in today. We are still digging out of her debt.

Both Whitman and Chris Christie know that property tax in NJ is determined locally, 65% is set by each local school board, 25% is basic municipal services like police, libraries, snow/garbage removal, etc., and the remaining 10% county controlled items like parks and roads.

Those taxes are voted on locally by taxpayers every year, who of course continue to want garbage pickup and public schools.

Whitman and Christie know that union benefits, special education, and COAH are protected by the courts. They know that the state budget must be balanced by law, whether or not people want to pay their taxes. They know that the towns and the legislature are driven by home rule. The problems here are huge and systemic.

People don't want to pay taxes, but they don't want to give up anything either. 49% voted for Christie. 51% voted for Green Acres funding.

Corzine was honest about the complexity of the problems, but people like to shoot a plodding messenger.

Unfortunately for us here in NJ, a Republican Governor + a Democratic State Legislature + a Democratic White House + a national recession has the potential to equal four more years of pain and gridlock.

Nov. 04 2009 01:53 PM
hjs from 11211

66] Calls'em
"Only private industry can stoke the flames of economic growth"

that's never been the GOP plan so who can we turn to?

Nov. 04 2009 01:11 PM
Sandra from Astoria, Queens

#29 is the most genius self-parody I have ever read!

Nov. 04 2009 12:39 PM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

Hjs - civil service workers are going to have to take pay cuts and pension cuts if the Dems plans to destroy the economy continue. Only private industry can stoke the flames of economic growth. Obama wants to destroy the private sector and recreate the Soviet Union in America.

Nov. 04 2009 12:22 PM
hjs from 11211

john
the point might be cops and other city workers take a pay cut today so they can get a pension tomorrow.

Nov. 04 2009 12:05 PM
Stephanie von Stein from Chestnut Ridge, NY (Rockland County)

Hi Brian. In discussing the appearance of a minor resurgence of Republican leadership in the NY-NJ area during this election, you cited the re-election of Republican Scott Vanderhoef as County Exec. in Rockland County. Actually, his re-election has nothing to do with a resurgence of Republican power in Rockland County. Rockland County is a special case. Vanderhoef won by a margin of 4600 votes. This margin was delivered in entirety by the Hasidic bloc vote in New Square and Kaser because Scott Vanderhoef works hand-in-glove with the Democratic machine in Rockland County to serve the agenda of the Hasidic community in exchange for their bloc vote in every election. Again, Rockland County is a special case. The majority of Rockland residents are Democrats, and if we were as well-organized as the Hasidic bloc, Vanderhoef would never have been elected.

Nov. 04 2009 12:04 PM
John from Bergen County NJ

Josh: What is your point?
People Choose to be cops.
You choose to work for the city.
Voter From Brooklyn made good points. Cops are public servants. But some treat the public in a less than friendly manner.
Being a cop is a tough and different job. But no one who is a cop was forced to do it.

Nov. 04 2009 11:53 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

It seems that this year was NOT good for incumbents. Incumbents either lost, or had narrow wins after spending 100 million dollars.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how incumbents did nationwide?

And John Corzine loosing despite President Obama's endorsement and attending six Corzine rallies may indicate that President Obamas golden touch doesn't work anymore.

Nov. 04 2009 11:34 AM
Liz from brooklyn

I voted yesterday for Thompson, without any enthusiasm. Bloomberg is abusing his public office to expand his private wealth, which he then reinvests in campaigning to keep himself in office. Although I love the new bike lanes, he has continuously destroyed Brooklyn and lower manhattan by permitting developers to throw up gross out of proportion monstrosities in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Green, even Bed-Stuy. However, Thompson was an executive at Con Ed- which is highly suspicious to me. Additionally, he never said any thing of meaning when talking about his plans for the city. His platform seemed to consist mostly of "8 is enough," which I firmly agree with. What else though? I wanted to vote for Rev. Billy, but was too afraid it might contribute to allowing Bloomberg to win. Why did the Democratic party pick such a WEAK opponent? How were democrats or moderates supposed to be excited about Thompson? Similarly, why did the democratic party let Corzine run for another term if he was SO unpopular. Why give people the same choice when they've already expressed a distaste for him? I want to vote for someone who I believe in, not vote for someone simply because the other candidate is abhorrent. What's up? Are there no respectable potential democratic candidates in NY and NJ?

Nov. 04 2009 11:21 AM
Elaine from Long Island

Brian, I totally adore you- BUT- you knew very well what that caller meant about how many people Whitman killed at the WTC.

Nov. 04 2009 11:19 AM
Josh from Brooklyn

Voter from Brooklyn:

I am not arguing with you, but I do have a reply. First of all, nypd officers don't make $80,000 until a full detective. and thats after several tests. I work for the City. I have no drug coverage, dental or vision. My wife works in the private sector and is in her current job as long as me. She makes twice what I make, and has a company 401k. The city does not. My pension (which will be small, about 30% of the total average of every year I work) is all I have. I am on her insurance. We have no paid maternity leave, and any time off we have to accrue, we don't get it off the bat. I get 8 hrs for every month I work. That's three weeks on 12/31 if I don't take any time. My wife has 5 weeks from jan 1. My job security doesn't mean squat if there are city layoffs from budget cuts. The only reason pensions are such a huge deal is because its the only way to lure people to the job.

Nov. 04 2009 11:18 AM
Marion Blumenthal from Manhattan

Is it possible that many votes were cast for Thompson as a protest against Bloomberg. Since all the hype was that Bloomberg was going to win, maybe some voters did not want him to win with a huge plurality so they did not vote or voted for Thompson. Of the two choices, I think Bloomberg is probably better for the job but resent his buying the election, changing the rules thereby denying the voters another choice. I personally voted for Rev. Billy.

Nov. 04 2009 11:13 AM
PR

I think the election of Christie is a disaster. Christie is NOT a friend of teachers and education will pay a price. Corzine did not create the problems the state is facing, the Republicans, as well as big business, greed and studity, did. Christie is nuts just like Whittman. Christie will send this state back to the dark ages. Healthcare, stem cell research, anything progressive is now in jeopardy. Guns will rule the day and people will die because of this. Thank God the democrats are still in charge of the state house. God help New Jersey!

Nov. 04 2009 11:05 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

When I watched Bill Thompson's concession speech, I was shocked to see Al Sharpton on the stage.

ANY endorsement of a candidate by Al Sharpton, to me, is a BIG negative. I can't forget Al Sharptons role in the Tawana Brawley scandal, Crown Heights riots, Freddies Fashion Mart fire bombing and LOTS more.

I'm happy that Mike Bloomberg won re-election.

Nov. 04 2009 11:00 AM
TO'D from NYC

Good Luck Jersey. Have fun. Your taxes aren't going anywhere but up.

Nov. 04 2009 10:58 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

I’ve only voted by absentee or on a lever machine in two different states. I like the lever machines… at least they work (most times)

Nov. 04 2009 10:55 AM
Jerry from Highland Park, NJ

It is ironic that the show started with Christie Whitman since it was her 30% income tax cut that helped get us into this mess. Those cuts did not bring prosperity, resulted in shifting more education funding to property taxes, and set in motion the disastrous raid on the state pension fund (which was billed as "borrowing"). By the end of her administration, it was clear that the next governor would be left with a financial disaster and no political ability to restore a reasonable tax level. So from Christie Whitman to Chris Christie, here we go again.

Nov. 04 2009 10:52 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

Josh from Brooklyn…
“Rookies” in most fields are paid peanuts… Rookie cops, rookie teachers, rookie firemen… Residents (doctors), junior architects, lawyers… And guess what, they all get pay increases with experience. The differences are cops, fire personnel, and teachers are working on the taxpayer’s dime and can only get paid what the tax base will support, but they get healthcare, pensions and relative job security. As for the “professions”, may be more pay (excluding educational expenses) but not nearly the job security nor guaranteed pensions.

Nov. 04 2009 10:52 AM
Greg from manhattan

Brian, I cannot believe you just referred to our wonderful old voting machines as "clunkers." I felt reassured by the nature of my voting process yesterday. I signed a book, and a person - a member of my community whose eyes I could look into - put my card in a machine, I stepped in and I literally placed my hands on the switches and levers of democracy. How satisfying. On a day when we are all trying to find out what these elections really mean, I find my "clunker" of a voting machine a good reminder: It's about each of us, alone with a switch and a lever.

Nov. 04 2009 10:48 AM
Josh from Brooklyn

RJ: Its not that the workers don't want to unionise, its that the private sector won't let them. The laws over organising are heavily in the employer's favor, and enforcement of any laws that are broken are nil. For instance: in order to form a union, the employer has to give the organisers a list of all the company's employees. Employers routinely hire thugs to intimidate employees and scare them away from unionising. If people try to unionise, the employer simply just fires them and fills the job with some who doesn't want to risk the job. What is that worker do? Sue? One person against Wal-mart? You're kidding right? The government won't do anything. Don't they already cater to Wal-mart? Hillary was their lawyer and on their board.

Nov. 04 2009 10:48 AM
Diana Finch from Bronx NY

Who is maligning lever machines, which are the most transparent voting system we have and far better and more reliable than any e-voting apparatus? We should vote to keep our lever machines as I understand some counties in New York have done. Old sometimes means tried and true, not 'antiquated.'
And on affidavit ballots: Isn't the biggest reason that voters have to use these the fact that every election voters are erroneously dropped from the voting rolls, so their names are not in the poll book when they show up to vote? In other words, it's errors in management of the voter registration on the part of the boards of election that lead to the use of affidavit ballots. I am a pollworker, so I am familiar with the problem.

Nov. 04 2009 10:46 AM
john tucker from Park Slope

The recent NJ political scandals had a clear effect on statewide elections. How is that a rebuke of the Obama administration? We're reading too much into this stuff.

Nov. 04 2009 10:43 AM
Lori from Montclair, NJ

Don't send NJ your prayers for God's sake! :-)

If the right wing wants to try to open up a front in NJ, bring it on. I'll be there at every friggin' tea party COUNTER protesting NJ style because those people have a hidden anti choice, anti gay, anti diversity agenda.

Wing nuts shouldn't consider the Christie election an opening -- people just voted AGAINST Corzine.

Nov. 04 2009 10:42 AM
Susan from Kingston

GL - Just like the true Republican that you are, threatening the rest of us. You had your eight years of Bush to plunder the US Treasury and pockets of all Americans with your Wars, tax breaks for the rich and bailing out Wall Street. Remember Henry Paulson was both a Republican and a Wall Street banker. We will not be fooled by you!

Nov. 04 2009 10:41 AM
RJ from brooklyn

PS: Re: The size of governments under Republicans. They profess to reduce the size of government but they hide it by contracting out the same services so they don't get bounced out by voters who still want public services. Many routinely put "contracted" workers/companies on different budget/balance sheets to make it look as though they've "reduced" government spending.

Nov. 04 2009 10:41 AM
danny from woodbridge, nj

Christie's unrehearsed comment about being born in Newark and heading for Livingston for a better education says it all for upper class Republican values!!! He had no script and was winging it--hopefully not a sign of unscripted things to come!

Nov. 04 2009 10:39 AM
hjs from 11211

GL

only moderate republicats should fear the teabaggers

Nov. 04 2009 10:39 AM
Jim

I wonder how someone like Gov. Christie who has Rep. Wilson come to support his election cause intends to establish a bi-partisan coalition in Newark and across the state. It seems to me that "Home-Rule" in New Jersey is at the core of the economic problems in the state. Smaller, more effective government may be a great idea and goal for this state but that seems to be a highly unlikely proposition regardless of the governor's political party. Moreover, Mr. Christie seemingly comes from an ideological position of the Republican party that holds very little in common with the majority views of the legislature.

On a separate note, I am really sad about the outcome in Maine on Proposition 1. As a person of faith, I continue to be seriously distressed at the efforts of Conservative Christians who de-rail equal social rights and privileges for LGBT persons and couples. I truly wonder what it will take for Progressive and Liberal Christians, Jews, and other religious people to counteract the efforts of organizations such as the Roman Catholic Church who continue to openly discriminate against marginalized homosexual people based upon a long-outdated understanding of scripture and mean-spirited comprehension of Christ's compassion.

Nov. 04 2009 10:38 AM
RJ from brooklyn

If NJ's private sector workers are so upset about the salaries of public sector workers, they should *unionize,* just like the public sector workers, who have paid dues for years--in negotiations--in order to get and preserve long-term benefits.

I just cannot understand why anyone would want others to come *down* to their lower, struggling standard of living rather than figure out ways to bring their own standards of living *up.* Seems to me that they're the ones who need to examine their willingness to work harder for their families--union organizing is not easy--rather than fault public sector workers, such as police, firefighters, teachers, health care, etc.

Nov. 04 2009 10:37 AM
GL from NJ

I sincerely hope this scares the stuffing out of democrats in Washington who dismiss the opposition as tea-baggers, astroturf and the like. There is a large segment of the electorate out here who are uneasy, feeling ignored and disaffected, and show up to vote when it's not the trendy thing to do.

Nov. 04 2009 10:37 AM
NYC Parent from Queens

I voted for Bloomberg because I hoped that a large margin of victory for him would give him a stronger hand in negotiating with the teachers' union. What (if any) effect will the relatively close election have on collective bargaining agreements going forward?

Nov. 04 2009 10:36 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

Many of you listeners make a good point. Why should you believe a former member of the Bush admin? Now, apply that rule to all the "newsmen and women" on TV and radio who were former Clinton officials and gain some understanding into how biased news coverage is these days. Brian used to have objective professors on the air - now he has pols and reporters who all have their biases.

Nov. 04 2009 10:36 AM
Josh from Brooklyn

by the way, no I am not a cop

Nov. 04 2009 10:34 AM
MC from Upper East Side

I can't believe people think Christie is going to work with people. i.e. a Democratic legislature. He is going to spend the first digging up dirt, using scare tactics, and intimidating all the Democrats in office, and then the next 3 years ramming through all his own self-interest bills. That's a prediction, and it's based on just what Republicans do. Despite their clean slate and perpetual benefit of the doubt in the media.

Nov. 04 2009 10:34 AM
Voter from Brooklyn

In the VA race, I hate to admit it, but the Republican ran the better campaign. When Mark Warner won, his Republican competitor ran an abysmally incompetent campaign. It was the equivalent of the W. Thompson/F. Ferrer “vote for me because of my party, but I have no real position” campaigns. Mark Warner (D) won because he ran a brilliant campaign against a complete fool, Tim Kaine (D) won because he ran a good campaign, and McDonnell ® won because he ran a brilliant campaign (hiding his dyed in the wool evangelical background and ties to Pat Robertson.) Just means I won’t be moving back anytime soon.

New Jersey gets the government it deserves. Dysfunction and corruption all the way. Let’s see if anything improves under vague Mr. Christie.

In either case, this proves nothing on national sentiment on President Obama.
(posted in the wrong stream before... oops)

Nov. 04 2009 10:34 AM
Josh from Brooklyn

I heard one caller who thought police officer's pensions were "outrageous". I'm sorry, but do you chase criminals with guns for a living? how many times have you been shot at? NYC rookies start at $25,000. How much did you make at your first job? For what, making widgets? its the cops who keep your life safe, and stop someone from breaking into your house. Its a thankless job, and they deserve respect. The next time you need a cop, ask yourself, would you get shot for $25,000 a year? would you help anyone for that? What has a wall street banker done for you lately?

Nov. 04 2009 10:34 AM
KZ

New Jersey will not be governable until its local government structure is simplified. Christie won't be able to do it.

Nov. 04 2009 10:34 AM
JK from Midtown

its funny how the people that want small govt so bad also want to ban abortions and all things that go against their "religion."

Nov. 04 2009 10:33 AM
BrettG from Astoria

I hope these votes against incumbents spark real change starts by the President.

NY-23- Goes against the WaPo/Politico conventional wisdom on those websites.

Nov. 04 2009 10:33 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

Bob H. There are ALWAYS empty store fronts in Hackensack. Even in boom times. It is the empty store fronts in Ridgewood, Summit and Westfield.

Nov. 04 2009 10:32 AM
Vince from brooklyn

I'm a tea party republican for small government, low taxes and I want to see the governor-elect shrink the government and bring the taxes down! The government is so big and huge and massive and it's high time we shrink it, make it smaller, reduce its size and cut some of the fat! Also the taxes are too high! We need to bring the taxes down, shrink them, make them smaller and also reduce them! We're going down to DC on the steps of the Capital with Michele Bachmann and we're going to have a Tea Party and let these fat cats know that they need to kill the bill! Because taxes and big government and handouts and healthcare and abortion! You're all in my prayers.

Nov. 04 2009 10:31 AM
hjs from 11211

can an off year election be a predictor or the future trends? in NJ 2.1 million voted yesterday in 2008 3.8 million turned out

Nov. 04 2009 10:30 AM
Cynthia from Lexington Ave

CTW laughing at mention of 9/11. If she were a Democrat, that would be headline news.

Nov. 04 2009 10:28 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

@ CT Hamilton Heights: You got that right. Whitman should no be used as a pundit.

Brain Lehrer, Come on you know what David in Ridgewood was referring to. Being polite is one thing. Feigning ignorance. is another. You are one of the most informed person there is.

Nov. 04 2009 10:28 AM
Susan from Kingston

Christy Todd Whitman, yuck. Why would I believe anything that woman says? She is the official in the Bush Administration that assured the public that the air in downtown Manhattan was safe to breathe after the collapse of the WTC. She is a clueless and a liar to boot!

Nov. 04 2009 10:28 AM
RLewis from bowery

911 was Whitman's worst moment. She lied and now people will die before their time. She should be banished from out airwaves. It's sad that wnyc would have her on. Almost any republican would be better.

Nov. 04 2009 10:24 AM
CT from Hamilton Heights

What a boring segment! Whitman sounds like just another talking head, towing the party line. *yawn*

Nov. 04 2009 10:24 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

@brian Well-put.
Why is there such a disconnect between the reality of taxes and the services provided by those taxes.

Nov. 04 2009 10:21 AM
Matthew from Brooklyn

Governor Whitman just laughed when the stealth caller asked her how many people she killed after 9/11. It was an unfortunate way of broaching the matter, but her tenure as Bush's EPA head is a serious matter. The Bush administration lied about the health effects of 9/11. They put getting Wall Street going (to gouge us all deeper, as it turned out) over people's lives. And she laughs now. It must be nice to have a horse farm to retire to.

Nov. 04 2009 10:20 AM
KZ

I used to work in telecom in NJ. Gov. Whitman gave lots of tax breaks to telecom and other technology businesses in New Jersey, and a couple of years later those companies outsourced as much as they could to India.

Nov. 04 2009 10:20 AM
hjs from 11211

brian

caller meant that whitman towing the bush line told people it was safe to be downtown after 9/11. that was a lie and people died. she's a killer!

Nov. 04 2009 10:19 AM
brian

A tax moratorium on businesses! I suppose that these businesses want maintained roads to ship their products, an educated population to staff its positions, law enforcement and fire protection, a court system to enforce it's rights, and yet they don't want to pay any of for it. A free lunch! If budget solutions were easy, they would have been done already.

Nov. 04 2009 10:18 AM
Lori from Montclair, NJ

Well, if I save any money on taxes, I'll be sending it to Planned Parenthood/NJ and the Sierra Club since Christie is an anti-choice wing nut.

Sigh...

Nov. 04 2009 10:17 AM
Timothy from Long Island

Christie voters. This ought to be interesting. Good luck, NJ. You're going to need it. We'll see how much he reaches out, I suppose. And already "tea parties" are being endorsed. Anyone hear Sarah Palin knocking?

Nov. 04 2009 10:16 AM
JK from Midtown

can you ask whitman if its safe to move back to downtown nyc now? is the air clean? what ounce of credibility does this person have?

Nov. 04 2009 10:16 AM
RLewis from bowery

What do these people mean by "smaller government"???

fewer schools and teachers. fewer cops on the streets. less mass transit. fewer prisons. less garbage pick up. more homeless on your streets. higher crime.

How is "smaller" anything but more bad news for NJ? Please don't tell me that you still think your taxes are going to go down. Fool.

Nov. 04 2009 10:15 AM
John from Bergen County NJ

Brian, We are tired of hearing from Christie Whitman. She borrowed and spent and got NJ into this mess. You are too kind to her. She loves blowing smoke.
As for Christie. if he can do what he promised in his ads great. But I think he will bring his big contributors into well paying jobs. Patronage Republican style.

Nov. 04 2009 10:14 AM
Rob from The Bronx

I sometimes have a counter intuitive thought, I wonder if in an off year election the (major) party with less registered voters does not have an advantage? E.G. In NY where there is a majority of Democrats, those registered as Republican may do so because it is in their economic interest or may be social conservatives etc. In any case they are probably more motivated than the majority or registered voters and are more likely to turn out and vote in an off year election. Yesterday afternoon when I voted I was the only one in my polling station contrasted to last year's presidential election when I had to stand in line, I was actually outnumbered by polling workers something line 8:1. My wife also told me that she was the only one when she voted.

Nov. 04 2009 10:12 AM
Chuck from Brookyn

Congrats NJ, you have just sold your state.

Nov. 04 2009 10:11 AM
brian

It was Gov. Whitman's mishandling of the state's pension fund, putting it in the stock market, underfunding it, that largely put NJ in this budgetary mess. The Budget problems were not of Corzine's making.

Nov. 04 2009 10:11 AM
Teresa from New York

love the spin whitman uses to explain why christie won- high unemployment, high taxes and voters had enough. how does she explain bloomberg winning in new york given even worse conditions than new jersey?

Nov. 04 2009 10:10 AM
C.G. from Manhattan

Could you ask Gov. Whitman whether N.J. is ranked at the bottom in schools or isn't that a major indicator?

Nov. 04 2009 10:09 AM
anonymous

These elections were still a trickle down effect of the Bush/Cheney years. I don't know of anything Corzine did to affect the economy directly, but he was judged by it.
I hope my property taxes actually do go down. But I doubt it.
I voted for Daggett.

Nov. 04 2009 10:09 AM
hjs from 11211

hey NJ, ready for some gridlock!!!

Nov. 04 2009 10:06 AM
Michael from Rockville Centre,

New Jersey:Voting Christie for Governor,you get what you deserve.Good luck anyway.

Nov. 04 2009 09:57 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

The people have woken up. Many voted for Obama thinking he was center-left when in fact he is a radical surrounded by radicals.

Nov. 04 2009 09:51 AM
Calls'em As I Sees'em from McLean, VA

Election 2009 was a clear repudiation of the liberal tax and spend policies of the Obama administration. Obama was personally repudiated in New Jersey as he campaigned several times with Corzine. Barry also embarrassed himself and showed his true colors by throwing Deeds and Thompson under the bus.

The Dems got slapped back to 1994 in Virginia and despite winning by a small margin in the special election in NY 23, an unknown and under funded local conservative accountant overcame tremendous adversity to almost win.

Conservatives also won in Maine - now the 30th state to ban same sex marriage. And even in super liberal California, the Republican got 43% in the special election in the heavily Democrat 10th District.

The Dems are in trouble. Their over-reaching socialist agenda has awakened the sleeping giant of the American voter. The people are sick of what is going on: the intrusive Nanny State; the destruction of the US dollar; the takeover of the banking and auto-industry; the proposed huge increase in taxes because of "cap and trade" and the destruction of the health care system wherein we will all be paying much more for much less service.

The people are mad as hell. Even in NYC - Bloomberg was slapped down by the close margin. He bought his third term and violated the people's trust and previous votes for term limits, and only won because his opponent appeared to be nice, but incompetent.

The Blue Dog Dems and the RINOS should be scared to death.

Nov. 04 2009 09:49 AM
james from nyc

So were the Reublican gubernatorial wins In NJ and VA a referendum on Obama and his policies (as conservative talk radio seems to believe), or not (NPR said this morning that exit polls showed the majority of voters in favor of Obama)? And what does the Democratic win in upstate NY say about the influence of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc? Which win was more important?

Nov. 04 2009 09:37 AM
Lloyd from Manhatttan

My brother and I were very offended by Christie's remarks last night. He told the crowd that his parents moved his family from Newark to Livingston so he could get a good education. We went to Newark schools at about the same time and got an excellent education and went to top colleges as a result. Christie starts his term with an off-handed and gratuitous insult to teachers and administrators that produced such alumni as Philip Roth. Christie should apologize and learn that he will be the governor of all.

Nov. 04 2009 09:19 AM