Bill Thompson's Options

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mayoral candidate Bill Thompson on the morning after the primary election in which he came in second place. Mayoral candidate Bill Thompson on the morning after the primary election in which he came in second place. (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

On primary night, Bill Thompson vowed to "count every vote" before conceding that Bill de Blasio has over 40 percent of the vote. Do you think Thompson should keep pushing for a full count and possibly create a run-off for the Democratic candidate, or should he step aside with de Blasio holding just over the threshold for a win? 212-433-9692, 212-433-WNYC. As your calls are coming in, WNYC's Anna Sale talks about her reporting on the pressure that Bill Thompson is facing to drop out of the race.

Anna Sale

Ellen (1st post, Sep. 12 2013 10:34 AM):

Some fairly serious charges there, esp. the last one, that "Thompson went against Bloomberg on purpose so that Bloomberg would win."

Any evidence to back them up?
___
NinaB, 11:05 AM: Reasonable sounding arguments.
___
IK from Bklyn, 11:05; jerry, 11:14: Valid questions.
___
Billy Pilgrim, 12:45 PM: While I didn't listen to enough of the coverage to have heard for myself any of what you allege, I find your post entirely credible. I suggest that if you haven't already, that you contact WNYC about the matter using the form at http://www.wnyc.org/contact/ or by phone.

Sep. 12 2013 09:12 PM
Billy Pilgrim from Staten Island

I was appalled at WNYC's coverage of the primary yesterday. At least one spokesperson blithely used the phrase "DeBlasio's victory" near the end of her segment. Another "expert" actually suggested with a straight face that Thompson needed 60% to trigger a runoff! This went completely unchallenged. Truly shameful. It sounded like WNYC had an axe to grind, either for DeBlasio or against Thompson. Come on. The official count hasn't even begun yet. I'd expect this from the Post, but not WNYC. Where is WNYC's respect for the voting process, which carefully accounts for ALL voters? Brian, thankfully, was much better on this matter today.
PS. I probably sound like Thompson guy. I'm not. I'm a registered Staten Island Republican of the good old Eisenhower persuasion. But I'd vote for either DeBlasio or Thompson over Lhota. Many Staten Island Republicans may do the same, and all voting New Yorkers would be advised to consider what it is in Lhota's record that provokes this response. Catsimitidis's huge sweep of the Staten Island primary (see the results map) wasn't so much for Cats as against Lhota.

Sep. 12 2013 12:45 PM

@ Taher: The counting is not complete yet.

"It ain't over till the fat lady sings."

Sep. 12 2013 12:21 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

I am really confused here Bill Thomapson gets 26% of the Vote Bill de Blasio gets over 40% of the vote, what’s the issue. Thompson is a sore looser? Dose he want to make absolutely sure that he lost?

Sep. 12 2013 11:26 AM

Fellow Citizens:

Do not be bamboozled! You do not have to choose /any/ of these candidates. Register a protest by voting third-party or writing-in.

Sep. 12 2013 11:20 AM
Robert from NYC

I think we all should wait and Thompson should hold out to see the final results. Stop bitching about voting rights and then rush elections without fully counting votes!! I am a de Blasio supporter but I think Thopson certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt. BUT once all is counted and IF the solid 40% goes to de Blasio then Thompson should bow out.

Sep. 12 2013 11:20 AM

Who will most probably be the next speaker of the Council? What will be the makeup of the next Council? These are what I will consider when choosing between DiBlasio and Lhota. I supported Quinn because of her moderation and her work in moderating Bloomberg's legislative desires. Balance is important to me, and if Thompson is not in the runoff, I will have difficulty voting for DiBlasio.

Sep. 12 2013 11:18 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Bill DeBlasio has been playing the race card.

I trust Bill Thompson way more than DeBlasio.

Sep. 12 2013 11:17 AM
Tony from Canarsie

I don't see how Thompson can win a run-off, and I can think of two reasons why off-hand: most Quinn voters will switch to de Blasio and Thompson has all the charisma of an certified public accountant.

Sep. 12 2013 11:16 AM
Steve from NYC

In 2005 Fernando Ferrer didn't reach the 40% but 2nd place finisher Anthony Weiner allowed him to have the nomination without a run off. I would like to know if Bill Thompson encouraged Weiner to stay in the race or if the idea of a run off is only a good one when he, Thompson, is the one in need of it.
Perhaps if Brian has Thompson on, he can ask him about this.

Sep. 12 2013 11:16 AM
Scotty from nyc

A lot of white men are put of by DeBlasio, because he married a black woman.
hear it all the time.

Sep. 12 2013 11:14 AM
jerry

Can Thompson withdrawing actually stop a recount and if the 40% is not reached will it stop his name from being put on the rerun?

Sep. 12 2013 11:14 AM

Will a nasty run off hurt BD and help lhota

Sep. 12 2013 11:11 AM
lk from Brooklyn

Can you check out the cost of a run off for NYC. I hear $10 million. Is that right? Is the City going to spend this kind of money for a public advocate run off with nothing else? It will have terrible turn out. If there is only the public advocate run-off is there any way to have the public advocates on the general election instead?

Sep. 12 2013 11:05 AM
Nina B from East Village

Thompson should stay in. First of all, voter turnout was pathetically low. Secondly, contrary to the belief that staying in would be divisive, I suggest that a well-tested candidate is a better candidate, so this could be good for De Blasio in the long run.

Sep. 12 2013 11:05 AM
Ellen

I think that Bill Thompson should definitely drop out of the race. We need Bill De Blasio. Bill Thompson has been in cahoots with Mike Bloomberg for many, many years. Thompson and Bloomberg pushed Anthony Weiner out of the race years ago and Thompson went against Bloomberg on purpose so that Bloomberg would win.

Sep. 12 2013 10:34 AM