NJ Election Day

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

More analysis on the Christie-Corzine-Daggett contest: Bob Ingle, bureau chief for Gannett Newspapers in Trenton, offers election day analysis as New Jersey voters go to the polls.

Bob Ingle

Dan from NJ

Re: your interview with Bob Ingles of the Gannett Trenton bureau - Please, next time you have a spokesperson for the Christie campaign come on to provide perspective, it would only be fair to identify him as such, and to allow the other campaigns the chance to come on the show, too.

Nov. 03 2009 03:31 PM
John Weber from Jersey Shore

Your recent caller is dead wrong about the ballot question. Borrowing money year after year after year to purchase open space is a waste. We borrow $400 million this time and end up paying $1 billion back with interest. A bad deal. REAL environmentalists in the Garden State are saying stop the insanity and dedicate a source of funding to this permanently.

Also, by putting this on the ballot, the legislators go to voters and say look how green we are. The truth is this is the worst legislature on the environment in 20 years. They are a disgrace. But a ballot measure makes it all better, right?

Nov. 03 2009 11:51 AM
Steve Eisenberg from Springfield, NJ

I think it is not uncommon that those of us who may be disappointed with Corzine and could appreciate some of Christie's positions were going to vote for Daggett but are now voting for Corzine. Christie has proved he is polarizing and his using support from Guiliani was the the absolute turn-off after originally thinking it wouldn't matter who won. New Jersey: Congestion, Corruption, Cronyism...Something for Everyone.

Nov. 03 2009 11:48 AM
db from nyc

I know it's election day and all...

... but the coverage of these horse races is beginning to sound a lot like corporate media.

Please do your homework and go and vote - just keep it to yourself - we'll see the results soon ENOUGH!

BASTA!

Nov. 03 2009 11:45 AM
jay from Harlem

This guy Bob Ingle's prejudices are showing. How can he report about Daggett in such a skewed manner and justify it by saying, basically, "you had to be there". Thank you for being so on the ball to ask the other side of the question and at least get it out there. This is not someone you need to have on the program again.

Nov. 03 2009 11:42 AM
hjs from 11211

i guess we know who Bob Ingle is voting for

Nov. 03 2009 11:40 AM
hjs from 11211

with the obesity crisis chris christie is driving health insurance costs up with every cheeseburger he eats

Nov. 03 2009 11:38 AM
Susan from Somerset NJ

will be off to the polls in a minute [to vote for Corzine... not enthusiastically but confidently] but just got a robo-call (one of many I've received this week) to ask me to go and vote for "Royce Pollard" who would be a great mayor for Vancouver!

Nov. 03 2009 11:38 AM
Rocky from Monmouth County, NJ

Had not heard about Joe Wilson campaigning for Chris Christie until Brian brought it up this morning. Only confirms my (already very low) opinion of Christie.

So, I voted first thing this am - and changed my mind on a couple things at the last minute.

Although I couldn't care less that Obama was on the campaign trail for him, I did change my vote from Daggett to Corzine. Went with the lesser of evils logic - as usual. I liked most of what Daggett had to say but just couldn't persuade myself an Independent had a chance in NJ. Which is sad, considering I've been registered as an Independent for 20-some years.

Also changed my mind about the Open Space bond issue and voted yes. I'd been thinking, hey we can't afford to float more bonds right now. But then it occurred to me that the state could actually acquire many parcels at a bargain price right now. For once there's no unfair competition from developers rushing to build more house farms.

Nov. 03 2009 11:09 AM
Patty B. from Montclair, NJ

I am a Montclair, NJ voter heading to the polls tonight to vote "yes" for an elected school board. I recall being shocked when I found out our town had an appointed school board. Being able to vote for our school board will allow a greater depth of representation and put the power of the people back where it should be. The argument that this infuses politics into our school is ridiculous, how much more political can you get than a mayor appointed board?

Nov. 03 2009 10:51 AM
Alan from Manhattan

Sorry for the poor editing! Here's take 2:

Re: Chris Dagget's candidacy

The problem that troubles voters who lean towards a 3rd-party candidate disappears when the voting system known as Approval Voting is adopted.

That system, which allows a voter to vote for any number of candidates, gives 3rd-party candidates their due while resulting in the candidate with the broadest base of support winning.

See http://www.approvalvoting.org/

Nov. 03 2009 10:46 AM
Alan from Manhattan

Re: Chris Dagget's candidacy

The problem that trouble voters who lean towards a 3rd-party candidate disappears when the voting system known as Approval Voting is adopted.

That system, which allows a voter to vote for any number of candidates, gives 3rd-party candidates their due while resulting in the candidate with the broadest base of support to win.

See http://www.approvalvoting.org/

Nov. 03 2009 10:40 AM
Susan from Somerset, NJ

Every time a commentator says "NJ voters only care about taxes" -- which has happened, I would guess, thousands of times in the 25 years I have listened to WNYC (including the past 5 as a NJ resident), it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, encouraging state-wide corruption when politicians believe the voters are only watching their own bottom lines, and voter apathy among the growing segment of NJ voters who care about a LOT more than taxes.

Nov. 03 2009 10:13 AM